||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (January 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||TN-91( TN-31 till Jun17,2015)|
Ramalinga Swamigal, popularly called Vallalar, established the Sathyagnana Sabhai.
The Thai Poosam function in January is a festival of this place. The Swamigal sang thousands of songs called Thiru Arutppa. This district was named after him for a while.
As of 2001[update] India census, Vadalur had a population of 25,902. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Vadalur has an average literacy rate of 70%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 78%, and female literacy is 61%. In Vadalur, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Today, vadalur has grown to become one of the notable towns in South Arcot District. It is the major POC connecting the national highways between Chennai-Kumbakonam-Thanjavur and Cuddalore-Salem-Bangalore.
The period from November to February in Vadalur is pleasant, with a climate full of warm days and cool nights. The onset of summer is from March, with the mercury reaching its peak by the end of May and June. The average temperatures range from 37 °C (99 °F) in January to 22.5 °C (72.5 °F) in May and June. Summer rains are sparse and the first monsoon, the South-West monsoon, sets in June and continues till September. North-East monsoon sets in October and continues till January. The rainfall during South-West monsoon period is much lower than that of North-East monsoon. The average rainfall is 1,400 mm (55 in), most of which is contributed by the North-East monsoon.
Vadalur attracts lot of tourists from all over the world because of the famous temple Sathaya Gnana Sabha, established by the famous saint Vallalar before 150 years. Every year the auspicious day Thai Poosam is celebrated as a grand occasion which attracts lot of people from all over the world.
Arutperunjothi or Sacred Light which was lighted by Vallalar himself in the temple, is kept lighted till now over 150 years. This Jothi describes God is one and he is in the form of light and love(compassionate) .God lives in all living beings. Hence service to humans feeding poor and serving the needy with soul related brotherhood is the true way for Receiving the blessings of God.
Vallalar established Samarasa Sutha Sanmarka Sathiya Sangam"in the year1865 for promoting the goal of achieving immortality by all humans the deathless life by transforming the body to light. Compassion is the key for heavenly abode . Vallalar attained immortality and become one with God and now he lives in all the living beings . he promises for arutperunjothi aandavar the God will come to Sathya Gnana Sabai and rule the world. Further he established Sathiya Dharmasalai place where hundreds of poor people were fed daily since 1867.
Average literacy is above the national literacy rate. Some of the state government run schools and colleges include:
- Govt. Girls Higher Secondary School - Vriddhachalam Main Road Vadalur
- St. Anto Group Of Institutions - 23/50, Dharma Salai Road, Near Sathiya Gnana Sabai, Vadalur - 607303. Cuddalore Dist. Registered with Central & State Govt. ISO CERTIFICATE.
- Fatima Matric Hr Sec School.
- 7th Day Matric Hr Sec School.
- Aries arts & science college
Vallalar Gurugulam Higher secondary school
- Vallalar Arts and science college
- District Institute of Education and Training (DIET) - Neyveli Main Road Vadalur
- OPR Nursing college
- OPR B.ED College
- Vedha Zenith Tutorial & Tution Centre(VZTC).-G.P. nagar, neyveli main road-vadalur
- Foundation for CSR @ Redington,150 Raghavendra city,Serakupam,Vadalur,mob.no.8667246126,8925720298.
- Satyagnana Sabha, Vadalur
- Tamil Nadu helping association
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vadalur.|
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.