This article possibly contains original research. (April 2019)
Scotland of Kerala
|• Type||Panchayati raj (India)|
|• Total||78.3 km2 (30.2 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,200 m (3,900 ft)|
|• Density||190/km2 (480/sq mi)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Nearest city||Kattappana, Pala, Thodupuzha|
Vagamon (Malayalam: വാഗമൺ) is an Indian hill station and a revenue village primarily located in Peerumedu taluk of Idukki district (majority area including Vagamon town), and also Meenachil taluk and Kanjirappally taluk of Kottayam district in the state of Kerala, India.
Vagamon does not have a long history to boast of as it had remained unexplored for centuries. Though the British had plantations here, it was only in 1926, when Walter Duncan and Company started their tea plantations here, that it became well-known. In the 1930s, more tea plantations were set up in the area. In the 1950s, the famed Kurisumala Ashram was set up here and that was the turning point in its development into a well-known place.
As of 2011 Census, Vagamon had a population of 14,641 with 7,212 males and 7,429 females. Vagamon village has an area of 78.3 km2 (30.2 sq mi) with 3,816 families residing in it. The average sex ratio was 1030 lower than the state average of 1084. In Vagamon, 9% of the population was under 6 years of age. Vagamon had an average literacy of 90.9% higher than the national average of 74% and lower than the state average of 94%.
¤ DC School of Management and Technology (DCSMAT) and DC School Of Architecture And Design are the two institutions, promoted by DC Kizhakemuri Foundation and co-promoted by DC Books, located in Pullikkanam near Vagamon. DCSMAT, one of the leading management colleges in Kerala, has two campuses located in Thiruvananthapuram and Vagamon. DCSMAT offer courses such as Master of Business Administration (MBA), Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com), Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA), Certified Management Accountant (CMA) and Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA). DC School Of Architecture And Design provides courses such as Bachelor of Arts in Interior Design (BA Interior Design) and Bachelor of Architecture (BArch).
*College of Dairy Sciences kolahalamedu Vagamon,
offering courses for the B Tech Dairy Sciences, affiliated to Veterinary University.
On 18 August 2014, two tourists from Kozhikode died in Vagamon, after lightning struck them. Others who were with them sustained minor injuries. The incident happened at around 4:30 PM when the tourists were hanging around the barren hilltops. Both fell after the lightning hit them and their dresses had burnt out. Though both were taken to hospital, they died by the time they arrived.
The place with rich natural vegetation as well as plantation crops like tea, coffee and rubber harbours less explored flora and fauna. A faunal diversity study conducted by Dr Pratheesh Mathew has recorded about 112 species of moths from 16 families under eight superfamilies that have become the prominent faunal diversity study in this area. The author has also recorded sitings of many species of insects, annelids, amphibians, lizards, snakes, birds and mammals. Wide variety of flowering and non-flowering plants including rare Cycas species have also been noted. The ongoing faunal and floral surveys are expected to shed light on the richness of biodiversity at this location. The flourishing tourism and related developments are predicted to create a negative impact on the flora and fauna of this region.
In Vagamon there are Hindu, Christian and Muslim populations.
- Kurisumala, Vagamon, most prominent Christian pilgrim center.
- Thangal para Dargha sheriff, Vagamon
- Sree Arundhathi Vasishta Temple, Vasishtagiry, Vagamon.
- Sree Subramanya Swami Temple Vagamon
- St Sebastian's RC Church Vagamon
- St Antony's Church Vagamon
- Emmanuel CSI Church Vagamon
- "The Kerala Official Language (Legislation) Act, 1969" (PDF).
- "Census of India: Villages with population 5000 & above". Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Archived from the original on 8 December 2008. Retrieved 10 December 2008.CS1 maint: others (link)
- Kerala, Directorate of Census Operations. District Census Handbook, Idukki (PDF). Thiruvananthapuram: Directorateof Census Operations,Kerala. p. 70,71. Retrieved 14 July 2020.
- "INDIAN BUSINESS SCHOOL TO FEATURE AT GHEDEX FROM APRIL 20 TO 22 – Muscat Daily".
- "'SIMI's camp in Kerela, not ultra's training ground'". The Deccan herald.
- "The moths (Lepidoptera: Heterocera) of vagamon hills (Western Ghats), Idukki district, Kerala, India". researchgate.net. Retrieved 10 June 2021.
- "Speaker - KLA". legislativebodiesinindia.nic.in. Retrieved 11 March 2021.