This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Dr.Bhagirath Prasad Tripathi "Vagish Shastri"|
15 July 1935|
Khurai, Central Provinces, British India
|Occupation||Sanskrit grammarian, linguist, yogi.|
|Spouse(s)||Late Rekha Tripathi|
Bhagirath Prasad Tripathi "Vagish Shastri" (also known as B P T Vagish Shastri) is an international Sanskrit grammarian, eminent linguist, Tantric and yogi. He was born in the city of Khurai, in Madhya Pradesh in 1934. His primary education was in Khurai, followed by his education in Vrindavan and Benaras. He started his teaching career as a lecturer of Sanskrit at Tikmani Sanskrit College, Varanasi in 1959 and soon he became the Director and Professor of the Research Institute at Sampurnanand Sanskrit University, Varanasi in the year 1970. He served this prestigious academic post for about three decades. He received his Master degree Vyākaraņa Āchārya (1959); PhD Vidyāvāridhi in Grammar and Historical Linguistics (1964), German Diploma (1966) and D.Litt. Vāchaspati (1969) from Sampurnanand Sanskrit University.
- 1 Contribution
- 2 Honors and awards
- 3 Books authored
- 4 Research papers
- 5 Supervision
- 6 Vagyoga: Natural law and Mnemonic technique
- 7 Taught pronunciation to Madonna
- 8 External links
- 9 References
Dr. Vagish Shastri started to write essays at the age of 19. His more than 200 essays and Research papers were published in different journals nationally and internationally. He was Secretary President of one section in fifth world Sanskrit conferences. He has been chief editor of many series such as Sarasvati Bhavana Granthamala he edited more than 300 manuscripts which took form of books. He also was chief editor of famous Sanskrit journal Sarasvati Susama. He has written books on different subjects which includes grammatical and philological research work, drama, history, poetry, satire, historical research work and metaphysical writings.
Honors and awards
- PADMSHREE , awarded by the Government of India President of India, 2018
- Senior Research fellowship, University Grants Commission, 1964–67.
- Kālidasa Award, Highest literary Award, Uttar Pradesh, 1966–67.
- Honored 6 times by Uttar Pradesh Sanskrit Academy, 1968, 1971, 1981, 1985, 1995, 1996.
- Mahāmahopādhyāya, Śri Kashi Pandit Parishad, 1982.
- Bāņa Bhatţţ Award, Uttar Pradesh Sanskrit Academy, 1990.
- Veda-Vedānga Award, Rajasthan Sanskrit Academy, 1994.
- Anusansdhan Puraskāra (Research Award), Utkal Pāti trust, 1995
- Swami Vishnu Tirth Sammāna (Spiritual writing Award), Indore, 2002
- Special Award, Govt. of Uttar Pradesh Sanskrit Sansthan, 2005.
- Special Award, Govt. of Uttar Pradesh Sanskrit Sansthan, 2005.
- Certificate of Honour for Sanskrit, awarded by the President of India, 2013.
- Sauhard Samman, Uttar Pradesh Hindi Sansthan, Lucknow, 2014
- Yash Bharati Samman, Highest Honour of UP Govt. Government of Uttar Pradesh,2015
- Vishva Bharati Samman, Highest Honour in Sanskrit Work, By UP Sanskrit Samsthan, Lucknow, 2013
- Mahakavi Kalidas Sanskrit Vrati Samman-2016, Highest Honour in Sanskrit Work, By Kavikulguru Kalidas Sanskrit University, Nagpur
- Rashtriya Chatrasal Samman-2017, by Bundeli Sahitya Parishad,Bhopal.
- Sanskrit Sadhana Samman-"Maharshi VedVyas Samman 2017", By Delhi Sanskrit Academy, New Delhi
Whitney's principal target in accusing Pāṇini and Pāṇiniyas of unreliability was the Dhatupatha. He set forth his views that of nearly 2000 roots of Dhatupatha published by Westergaard and Bohtlingk more than half of these are not attested in literature. The most ambitious work in the direction noted is Pāniniya Dhātupātha Samikşhā(1965) wherein the author gives an alphabetically arranged catalogue of roots found in different Dhatupathas together with attestation – verbal and nominal forms – in Sanskrit, Pali, Apabhramsa and other Prakrits. BPT Vagish Shastri professed aim is to refute Whitney's Claim.
The radio drama Krişakānām Nāgpāshah is a symbolic play with the tone and tenor of patriotism which aims at common harmony, pride in one's own nation, and sacrifice for one's motherland which is highly relevant. This is a creative work from the vibrant pen of BPT Vagish Shastri.
Grammatical and philological research work
- Pāniniya Dhātupātha Samikşhā, Sampurnanand Sanskrit University, 1965
- Taddhitantah Kechana Sabdah, Motilal Banarsidass, Delhi, 1967.
- Anusandhana Paddhatih, Sampurnanand Sanskrit University, 1969 (Presently this book is being translated into Telugu, by Sanskrit Department, Waltair University)
- Dhātvartha-Vijnanam, Sampurnanand Sanskrit University, 1980, This is the most ambitious work in the semantics of verbal roots
- Sabda Nirvachana aur Sabdartha, Yogic Voice Consciousness Institute, Varanasi, 2004.
- Gypsy language and Grammar, Yogic Voice Consciousness Institute, Varanasi, 2005.
- Upsahityam, Yogic Voice Consciousness Institute, Varanasi, 2007.
Creative writing in Sanskrit, Hindi and English
- Krişakānām Nāgpāshah: A drama concerned with National Awakening, Chaukhamba Vidya Bhavan, Varanasi, 1958.
- Katha Samvartika, (Original Sanskrit Stories), Chaukhamba Vidya Bhavan, Varanasi, 1959.
- Tolstoy Kathasaptakam, (Translation in Sanskrit), Chaukhamba Vidya Bhavan, Varanasi, 1970. (In Sampurnanand Sanskrit University curriculum).
- Bharat Mein Sanskrit ki Anivaryata Kyon, Choukhamba Vidya Bhavan, Varanasi, 1977.
- Sri Ganga Stavana Chayanika, Yogic Voice Consciousness Institute, Varanasi, 1987.
- Sri Siva Stavana Chayanika, Yogic Voice Consciousness Institute, Varanasi, 1989.
- Narma-Saptasati : verse-satires, Education ministry, Uttar Pradesh Sanskrit Academy, 1994.
- Sanskrit Vangmaya Manthanam, Financial support by Ministry of Education, Govt of India, 1990.
- Atankavada Satakam : Verse critique on Terrorism, Yogic Voice Consciousness Institute, Varanasi, 1992.
- Sasvata Kavya ki Atma, Yogic Voice Consciousness Institute, Varanasi, 2000.
- Jagatika Prema aur Sasvta Ananda, Yogic Voice Consciousness Institute, Varanasi, 2004.
- Humour in Ancient India, Yogic Voice Consciousness Institute, Varanasi, 2004.
- Shabd Nirvachan Aur Shabdarth, Yogic Voice Consciousness Institute, Varanasi, 2007.
- Sanskrit Enhanced Knowledge of West, Vagyoga Chetna Peetham, Varanasi, 2009.
- Sri Vagyoga Tantram, Yogic Voice Consciousness Institute, Varanasi, 2010.
- Nisargsarsanjali, Vagyoga Chetna Peetham, Varanasi, 2013
- Anushandhan Sampadan Pravidhi, Vagyoga Chetna Peetham, Varanasi, 2013
- NAAD SHABDIKAM, Vagyoga Chetna Peetham, Varanasi, 2017
- WHY SANSKRIT, Vagyoga Chetna Peetham, Varanasi, 2017.
- Antyajon ke Prati Hinduvon ka Kartavya, Vagyoga Chetna Peetham, Varanasi, 2017
- NAAD SHABDIKAM, Vagyoga Chetna Peetham, Varanasi, 2017
- SANJYÀKRIYÀPADA-SAMSLESHIKÀ VYÀKRIYÀ, Vagyoga Chetna Peetham, Varanasi, 2017
- SANKSHIPTA SAAR VYAKARAN, Vagyoga Chetna Peetham, Varanasi, 2017
- SHIV SANKALP SUKTAM, Vagyoga Chetna Peetham, Varanasi, 2017
Historical research work
- Bundelkhand Ki Prachinata (Antiquity of (Bundelkand), Self Publication, 1965.
Here refused claim of Archaeologist A. Cunningham who suggested native place of Bundelas in Maharashtra. This book describes an etymological identification of the mysterious 'pulindas' mentioned in later Vedic, Epic, pauranika and inscriptional literature.
- Gypsy Bhasha : An historical and grammatical study, Yogic Voice Consciousness Institute, Varanasi, 1986.
- Mahakunmbh evam Sangama Snanana : Ek Vaijnanika Vivechana, Yogic Voice Consciousness Institute, Varanasi, 1988.
- Nadiya Ek Ghat Bahutere, Yogic Voice Consciousness Institute, Varanasi, 2001.
- Autobiography of the Vagyogi, Yogic Voice Consciousness Institute, Varanasi, 2003.
- Migration of Aryans from India, Yogic Voice Consciousness Institute, Varanasi, 2007.
- Bundelkhand Ki Prachinata, Enlarged Edition, Vag Yog Chetna Granthmala, Varanasi, 2011.
- 'Parachetana ki Yatra (Journey to Superconsciousness), Yogic Voice Consciousness Institute, Varanasi, 2000. He trained more than 1000 students from all over the world in Kundalini Meditation, Tantra, Yoga and Philosophy.
- Shakti, Shiva and Yoga, Yogic Voice Consciousness Institute, Varanasi, 2000.
- Yogachudamani Upnishad, Yogic Voice Consciousness Institute, Varanasi, 2004.
- Samvit Prakasha (Vaishnav Tantra), Yogic Voice Consciousness Institute, Varanasi, 2006
- Trayambakam Yajamahe, Yogic Voice Consciousness Institute, Varanasi, 2006.
New Sanskrit grammar
Dr. B P T Vagish Shastri has published three books on his invented Sanskrit Grammar "Vagyoga Technique".
- Sanskrit Sikahne ki Saral aur Vaijnanika Vidhi, Yogic Voice Consciousness Institute, Varanasi, 1990.
- Vagyoga : Mnemonic Sasnkrit Technique, Yogic Voice Consciousness Institute, Varanasi, 2000.
- Vagyoga : Conversational Sanskrit, Yogic Voice Consciousness Institute, Varanasi, 2001.(Also translated in Russian language,2009)
- Sanskrit Made Easy : Part – I, Yogic Voice Consciousness Institute, Varanasi, 2012.
- Sanskrit Made Easy : Part – II, Yogic Voice Consciousness Institute, Varanasi, 2016.
- Vamana-Purana Visayanukrama Sabdakosa, Sampurnanand Sanskrit University, 1996.
- Etymological Bundeli Dictionary, Vagyoga Chetana Prakashan, Varanasi, (2017).
- SHABDA PARANYAM NAAM DHATUNIRBHAR SHABDAKOSHAH, Vagyoga Chetana Prakashan, Varanasi, (2017).
More than 200 research papers are published
- Rakshnadyastadasharthakah: Root Av, All India Oriental Conference, Vol. XXVII, Kurukshetra University, 1975
- The Science of Abbreviation in Ancient India, Third World Sanskrit Conference, Paris, 1977.
- Some Pāṇinian roots used only in Persian and European languages, V world Sanskrit Conference, Weimar, 1979.
- Padma Purana and Raghuvamsa, Ganganath Jha Research Journal, Vol. XXXViii, January 1982, Allahabad.
Being Director, Research Institute, Sampurnanand Sanskrit University he has guided 53 students for PhD And 6 students for D.Litt. degree in different subjects.
|S.No.||Subject||Degree||No. of Students|
|2.||Poetics & Poetry||PhD||20|
|3.||Philosophy & Tantra||PhD||06|
|9.||Poetics & Poetry||D.Litt.||03|
|10.||Philosophy & Tantra||D.Litt.||01|
Vagyoga: Natural law and Mnemonic technique
Dr. Vagish Shastri has invented a unique technique of teaching Sanskrit grammar called 'Vagyoga'. This is a mnemonic method to enter in the soul of words, it is based upon natural law, which does not requires learning by heart any sutras. This is a mathematical way of learning Sanskrit Grammar. Many scholars from all over the world learned Sanskrit in very short time and they made translation of Sanskrit texts in their own language and many of them appointed as Professors.
Taught pronunciation to Madonna
- Official Site
- Video on YouTube
- Photos of Vagish Shastri in Banares, February 1996
- Autobiography of the VagYogi: The Life of Kundalini Experiences
- "Vagyoga: Kundalini Meditation: Spiritual Experiences of Meditators" by Vagish Shastri (in English)
- "Shakti, Shiva and Yoga" by Vagish Shastri (in English)
- Vagyoga Association Europe
- Danielle Tramard, A Le royaume de la connaissance, Beneras ville sainte retour aux sources dela tradition sanscrite, Le Monde, 28 October 1995, Paris
- "Mukherjee presents Certificate of Honor, Maharshi Badrayan Vyas Samman to scholars on I-Day". Business Standard. 15 August 2013. Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- George Cardona, PANINI, A survey of Research, Mouton & Co. B.V. Publisher, 1976
- Sanskrit Pratibha, Sahitya Academy, New Delhi, Vol. 8, No.2, 1970, pp. 106.
- R.N. Dandekar, Vedic Bibliography, Vol. III, Govt. Oriental Series No.10, Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute, Poona, 1973.
- S. Ranganath, Studies in Rigveda and modern Sanskrit literature,Eastern Book Linkers, Delhi.
- Lajja Shukla, Arvachin Sanskrit Sahitya mein Vagish Shastri, Unpublished PhD Thesis, 2002, Indore University, Indore
- George Cardona, Recent research in Pāṇinian Studies, Motilal Banarsidass, Delhi, 1999.
- Sanskrit Vangmay ka Brihad Itihas, Vol. II (Eds) Baldev Upadhayay, O.P. Pandey, U.P. Sanskrit Academy, Lucknow, 1997
- Vastoshpati Shastri, John Hall, Susane Trubel, Vagyoga: Kundalini Meditation, Yogic Voice Consciousness Institute, Varanasi, 2003.
- Sanskrit Vangmay ka Brihad Itihas (Vyakarna), Vol VII (Ed) Baldev Upadhyay, Jagannath Pathak, U.P. Sanskrit Academy, Lucknow, 2000.
- Sanskrit without tears, Life positive, Vol. 4, No.3, June 1993, p.17
- Fr. Sadanand D'souza, Miraculous vagyoga mnemonic method of learning Sanskrit based on Para Vidya, Mystic India, Occult foundation, Vol. 2, No.3, March 1996, p.125-127
- Cinzia Periccini, Dandin Inieu Principi, Paideia Editrice, 1986
- Freedom Tobias Cole, Science of light, An Introduction of Vedic Astrology, Print Media Books, California, USA, ISBN 0-9788447-8-5
- Madonna's Mantra, Editorial, 16 October 1998, The Times of India
- Madonna song was not musical to the Pundit's ears, The Statesman, New Delhi, 11 May 1998
- Madonna's Ray of light: Pandit suggest a touch up, Indian Express, 10 May 1998.