Vahid Sayadi Nasiri
Vahid Sayadi Nasiri
Vahid Sayadi Nasiri's portrait
|Born||August 27, 1980|
|Died|| (aged 38)|
Shahid Beheshti Hospital, Qom, Iran
|Cause of death||Starvation|
|Occupation||Human rights activist, Political activist, blogger, real estate specialist|
|Known for||Long-time hunger striker|
Vahid Sayadi Nasiri (Persian: وحید صیادی نصیری) (27 August 1980 – 12 December 2018) was an Iranian human rights activist and political prisoner who died on hunger strike. Sayadi Nasiri was also a constitutional monarchist whose social media-based anti-Islamic republic point of view caused him to be put in jail.
Vahid Sayadi Nasiri started a hunger-strike in prison to protest his allegedly illegal and uncomfortable situation in prison. Finally, on the 5th of December 2018, Nasiri was moved from prison to the Shahid Beheshti Hospital of Qom and seven days later died.
Imprisonment and hunger strike
Vahid Sayadi Nasiri was initially arrested in September 2015 and sentenced to eight years in prison. Nasiri had been accused on charges of insulting the supreme leader of the Islamic Republic government of Iran, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and enforcement against the state. The charges stemmed from posts he had made on his Facebook page. He had already spent two and a half years in prison and allegedly had been the subject of abuse and harassment. He was again detained in July 2018 for the second time after being freed for months. He had not eaten for 60 days to protest against the lack of legal protection and the prison regime of Iran.
On 20 December 2018 Human rights Watch urged the regime in Iran to investigate and find an explanation for the death of Vahid Sayadi Nasiri who had been jailed for insulting the Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei. According to his family Nasiri had been on hunger strike but he was denied medical attention before he died.
- "France wants Iranian government to describe more about an activist's death". BBC Persian (in Persian). Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- Death of Iranian Political Prisoner and Human Rights Activist Vahid Sayadi-Nassiri, U.S. Department of State
- Steer, George (December 13, 2018). "Imprisoned Iranian Activist Dies After 60-Day Hunger Strike". Time. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- "Death of another political prisoner in Iran". Voice of Israel (in Persian). Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- "Vahid Sayadi Nasiri: Jailed Iran activist dies on hunger strike". BBC News. 13 December 2018. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- Stabile, Giordano (12 December 2018). "Iran, attivista politico muore per lo sciopero della fame in carcere". La Stampa (in Italian). Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- "Death of iranian dissident hunger striker draws rights activists outragel". VOA News. December 14, 2018. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- "Jailed Iranian Political Activist Dies After Hunger Strike, Family Told". RadioFreeEurope. 13 December 2018. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- Avenue, Human Rights Watch | 350 Fifth; York, 34th Floor | New; t 1.212.290.4700, NY 10118-3299 USA | (2018-02-13). "Iran: Investigate Suspicious Deaths in Detention, Release Activists". Human Rights Watch. Retrieved 2019-06-21.