|Official name||வைகை அணை|
|Location||Andipatti, Theni district, Tamil Nadu|
|Opening date||January 29, 1959|
|Dam and spillways|
|Height||33.8 m (111 ft)|
|Length||3,560 m (11,680 ft)|
|Total capacity||174,000,000 m3 (6.144752010×109 cu ft)|
|Operator(s)||Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation Limited|
|Commission date||April 3, 1990|
|Turbines||2 x 3 MW|
|Installed capacity||6 MW|
The Vaigai Dam is built across the Vaigai River near Andipatti, in the Theni district of Tamil Nadu, southern India. It provides water for irrigation for the Madurai district and the Dindigul district as well as drinking water to Madurai and Andipatti. Near the dam, the Government of Tamil Nadu has constructed an Agricultural Research Station for researching the growing of a variety of crops, including rice, sorghum, blackgram, cowpea and cotton.
Vaigai Dam Park
A Small and beautiful park is maintained by the Water Resources Department on both sides of the Dam. A small bridge connects the two sides of the park in front of the dam. The park also have a children play area.
Vaigai Dam Hydroelectric Power Plant
Vaigai Hydroelectric Power Plant was design capacity of 6 MW. It has 2 unit(s) of 3 MW each. The first unit was commissioned in 1990 . It is operated by Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation Limited (TANGEDCO).
Vaigai Dam is one of the 104 dams in Tamil Nadu that is proposed to be improved under the Dam Rehabilitation and Improvement Project ( DRIP).
By Road:The dam is situated at 7 km from Andipatti, 14 km from Theni and 70 km from Madurai.
By Train:The nearest railway station is Dindigal station which is located 61 km sway from the dam. The Railway station in Theni is not functioning.
By Air:The nearest airport is Madurai Airport(IXM) which is 80 km away from the Dam. Air connectivity is available from Chennai, Mumbai, Delhi, Hyderabad, and Vijayawada. International connectivity is available to Colombo, Dubai and Singapore.
- "Reservoir details" (PDF). www.wrd.tn.gov.in.
- "Water released from Vaigai dam for irrigationRiver Vaigai near Andipatti, the dam with a height of 111 feet can store 71 feet of water. It is 7 km from A ndipatti, 14 km from Theni and 70 km from Madurai. This dam was opened on January 21, 1959". The Hindu. Retrieved 2007-08-09.
- "Welcome to Agricultural Research Station, Vaigai Dam". Tamil Nadu Government. Retrieved 2007-08-09.
- "Data" (PDF). agritech.tnau.ac.in.
- [dead link]
- "Water Resources Department, Govt. of Tamil Nadu - Dams". www.wrd.tn.gov.in.
- distribution., Tamil Nadu Electricity Board (TNEB) was formed on July 1, 1957 under section 54 of the Electricity (Supply) Act 1948 in the State of Tamil Nadu as a vertically integrated utility responsible for power generation, transmission and. "Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation Limited (TANGEDCO)". www.tangedco.gov.in.
- "Papanasam Hydroelectric Power Plant India - GEO". globalenergyobservatory.org.
- "Details" (PDF). www.wrd.tn.gov.in.
- "Finally, Madurai gets international connectivity - Times of India".
- "Business News, India Stock Market, Personal Finance, IPO, Financial News Headlines - The Financial Express". www.financialexpress.com.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vaigai Dam.|