25 August 1988
Vaishnavi Dhanraj (born 25 August 1988) is an Indian television and film actress. She was the protagonist in PK Lele A Salesman, an adult Hindi film in the sex comedy genre, in which she played the role of a rich girl called Mary Marlo. She has also acted as Nirbhaya in Satyagraha on Aaj Tak, Sub-Inspector Tasha in Sony Entertainment Television's CID and Mahi Arora in Colors TV's Bepannaah.
Vaishnavi was born in Nagpur and did her schooling from Blind Relief Association's Mundle High School. After she graduated from Shivaji Science College, her family shifted to Kalyan in 2008. Vaishnavi's parents encouraged her artistic inclination and escorted her to her initial auditions. She was known as Vaishnavi Bhoyar during her student years.
Vaishnavi started her acting career in 2008 with a cameo in Kasautii Zindagii Kay. Taking note of her work in this show, the production house offered her the parallel lead in Karam Apnaa Apnaa in the same year. After acting in these two shows with the name Vaishnavi Bhoyar, she replaced her surname with her father's first name, Dhanraj, due to numerological reasons. In 2009, Vaishnavi joined CID as a gun-toting detective named Sub-Inspector Tasha. For this show, Vaishnavi refused stunt doubles and performed all her stunts herself. CID launched her stardom and she became widely popular as Tasha.
Her feisty performance in CID was instrumental in her winning the main protagonist's role in Na Aana Is Des Laado when the show took a time leap of 18 years in December 2010. Vaishnavi played the character of Jhanvi, a feminist who fights for women's empowerment in rural India. In early 2012, Vaishnavi contemplated leaving Na Aana Is Des Laado and rejoining CID as she was dissatisfied with her role but the issue was settled amicably and she continued being a part of Laado until it ended in July 2012. Na Aana Is Des Laado was based on the issue of female foeticide.
After a brief hiatus following her marriage, Vaishnavi returned to television with Parvarrish – Kuchh Khattee Kuchh Meethi on Sony T.V in May 2013. She played the character of Meera Mathur, an immaculate and tranquil businesswoman, which was quite different from her previous roles. The show ended in August 2013, following which Vaishnavi was offered the main antagonist's role in Colors TV's Madhubala – Ek Ishq Ek Junoon. Her dramatic entry scene in the show featured a stunt sequence in which Vaishnavi walked over a tightrope strung over a busy Mumbai street. She played Riya Jaiswal/Devika, a self-obsessed, struggling Bollywood actress. Shortly after her entry, the show took a time leap of a few years, as a result of which Vaishnavi decided to quit the show in January 2014.
Within a week of her exiting Madhubala – Ek Ishq Ek Junoon, Vaishnavi signed up for Star Plus's epic Mahabharat, her first television show in the mythological genre. Initially apprehensive about playing the mythical character of Hidimbaa, she took up the challenge and pulled off a critically acclaimed performance. This character required Vaishnavi to play a double role of an ugly demoness and a stunning enchantress. She later said in an interview that the heavy makeup required for the demoness look took over seven hours to apply, and that the weighty costumes made this shooting schedule one of her most unusual assignments ever. Her stardom and popularity were furthered through this role.
In March 2014, Vaishnavi was approached by Indian news channel Aaj Tak to portray Nirbhaya in the channel's new social awareness series Satyagraha 2014. Aaj Tak's managing editor Supriya Prasad said that their motive was to create a pioneering show on television, and to trigger social change by bringing back Mahatma Gandhi's values of non-violence and the pursuit of truth. Directed by Sunil Manchanda, this series appealed to the nation's conscience. Vaishnavi later said that this role was the most challenging and humbling experience of her career.
On 23 December 2012, Vaishnavi married Indian actor and model Nitin Sahrawat after a year of courtship. The two first met on the set of Nitin's show Kitni Mohabbat Hai Season 2. The ceremony was conducted in Shantikunj, Haridwar according to Vedic rituals. The wedding reception in Mumbai was attended by Vaishnavi's friends and co actors from her shows including Meghna Malik, Kritika Kamra, Dayanand Shetty, Hrishikesh Pandey and Simran Kaur. For their honeymoon the couple backpacked across Western Ghats and stayed in a rustic hut on the Konkan coast for 12 days. The wedding was included in the list of biggest celebrity weddings of the year by the media.
In March 2014 NDTV launched a new channel, NDTV Prime. Nitin and Vaishnavi were the guests for the launch episode of NDTV Prime's The Getaway, in which the two were given a Hyundai Elantra which they then drove down to Kamshet. The theme of this episode being adventure, the couple then paraglided off the challenging Shelar's Site. This episode was shot at their Lokhandwala Complex home and also featured their pet Labrador Retriever Thor.
Sahrawat and Dhanraj filed for legal separation in July 2015 and were divorced in January 2016, opting for a mutual and amicable divorce in Bandra family court. Emotional disconnect was cited as the reason for the parting. In December 2016, a Bollywood gossip website alleged that marital abuse was a reason for the divorce.
|2018||PK Lele A Salesman||Mary Marlo|
|2008||Kasautii Zindagii Kay|
|Karam Apnaa Apnaa||Aastha Kapoor|
|2009-10||CID||Sub Inspector Tasha Kumar|
|2010-12||Na Aana Is Des Laado||Jhanvi|
|2011||Kitchen Champion 4||Contestant|
|2013||Hum Ne Li Hai- Shapath||Nayantara/Sakuna|
|Parvarrish–Kuchh Khattee Kuchh Meethi||Mrs. Mathur|
|Madhubala-Ek Ishq Ek Junoon||Riya|
|2016||Beti Ka Farz||Avantika|
|Sasural Simar Ka||Kamya|
|Yeh Vaada Raha||Icchha|
- "PK Lele A Salesman Movie Review". The Times of India. Retrieved 4 August 2019.
- "Vaishnavi to recreate Nirbhaya". The Times of India. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- "Vaishnavi Tasha to die in CID". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 February 2011.
- "Here I am". The Times of India. 23 July 2011. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- New surname has brought me luck: Vaishnavi The Times of India, 21 December 2010
- "Vaishnavi Dhanraj – Life is all about ups and downs". Tellychakkar. India. 3 January 2012. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- Elina Priyadarshini Nayak (21 December 2010). "Times Of India". Retrieved 11 May 2019.
- Jayeeta Mazumder (16 December 2010). "Na Aana Is Des…Laado to take 18-year leap". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "Jhanvi to fight against abortion in Naa Aana Is Des Laado". Tellychakkar. 6 June 2012. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "Vaishnavi Dhanraj". Tellychakkar. Retrieved 28 February 2011.
- "Laado gets back to Veerpur". Tellychakkar. 9 September 2011. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "Vaishnavi Dhanraj is upset these days". Tellychakkar. 19 May 2012. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "Vaishanvi Dhanraj to quit Laado; get back to CID?". Tellychakkar. 20 February 2012. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "Vaishanavi Dhanraj & Prashant Ranyal to enter Parvarrish". The Times of India. 25 May 2013. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "Vaishnavi Dhanraj makes a comeback on TV with Sony TV's Parvarrish". Tellychakkar. 1 June 2013. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "Vaishnavi Dhanraj enters RK's life as the new girl in Madhubala-Ek Ishq Ek Junoon". Tellychakkar. 3 December 2013. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "Vaishnavi Dhanraj Enters Rk's Life as the New Girl in Madhubala-ek Ishq Ek Junoon". Television world. 3 December 2013. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "Madhubala: Who is the new girl in RK's life". onenewspage.com. 4 December 2013. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "TV show Madhubala to take leap". NDTV. Indo-Asian News Service. 23 January 2014. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "Vaishnavi Sahrawat aka Ria's christmas plans". metromasti.com. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- Vijaya Tiwari (15 January 2014). "Not Pavitra Punia but Vaishnavi Dhanraj to enter Mahabharat". The Times of India. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "Vaishnavi Dhanraj to play Bheem's wife in Mahabharat". Punjabi Junktion. 15 January 2014. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- sanchi (17 January 2014). "Madhubala fame Ria aka Vaishnavi Dhanraj as Mahabharat's Hidimba". myeduniya.com. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "Aaj Tak launches new show 'Satyagraha – 2014'". bestmediainfo.com. BestMediaInfo Bureau. 24 February 2014. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "Aaj Tak launches series on Mahatma Gandhi". Television Post. 21 February 2014. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- Vijitha Rajan (8 March 2014). "Vaishnavi Dhanraj To Recreate Delhi Gang Rape Victim Nirbhaya in Aaj Tak Special Series Satyagrah". Tellytadka. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- tellybuzz. "Dharamji shakes a leg with Vaishnavi Dhanraj on India's Got Talent 3 Grand Finale". bollycurry.com. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- tellybuzz. "Dharamji with Rashmi Desai, Dipika Samson and Vaishnavi Dhanraj on India's Got Talent 3 Grand Finale". bollycurry.com. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- Abdul Rehman (1 May 2013). "Vaishnavi Dhanraj to play a super villain in Shapath". indiandrama.info. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "Vaishnavi Dhanraj dating actor/model Nitin Sahrawat". Tellychakkar. 1 November 2012. Retrieved 10 April 2014.
- "Vaishnavi Dhanraj getting married on 23 December". Tellychakkar. Retrieved 13 December 2012.
- "Celebs attend actor-model Nitin Sahrawat's wedding reception". The Times of India. 18 January 2013. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "Vaishnavi Dhanraj is 'enjoying the phase in her life post marriage'". Tellychakkar. 27 April 2013. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "10 Biggest TV Celebrity Weddings This Year". idiva.com. 13 March 2013. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "SRK, Priyanka at the launch of NDTV Prime – India's first 2-in-1 channel". NDTV. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "The perfect weekend getaway near Mumbai". NDTV. 21 March 2014. Retrieved 10 April 2014.
- Lalwani, Vickey (6 December 2016). "TV Actress Vaishnavi Dhanraj Says Her Husband Beat Her Up Until Her Leg Bled!". SPOTBOYE. Retrieved 11 May 2019.
- "PK Lele A Salesman Movie Review". The Times of India. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vaishnavi Dhanraj.|