Valérie Berthé (born 16 December 1968) is a French mathematician who works as a director of research for the Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS) at the Institut de Recherche en Informatique Fondamentale (IRIF), a joint project between CNRS and Paris Diderot University. Her research involves symbolic dynamics, combinatorics on words, discrete geometry, numeral systems, tessellations, and fractals.
Berthé completed her baccalauréat at age 16, and studied at the École Normale Supérieure from 1988 to 1993. She earned a licentiate and master's degree in pure mathematics from Pierre and Marie Curie University in 1989, a Diplôme d'études approfondies from University of Paris-Sud in 1991, completed her agrégation in 1992, and was recruited by CNRS in 1993. Continuing her graduate studies, she defended a doctoral thesis in 1994 at the University of Bordeaux 1. Her dissertation, Fonctions de Carlitz et automates: Entropies conditionnelles was supervised by Jean-Paul Allouche. She completed a habilitation in 1999, again under the supervision of Allouche, at the University of the Mediterranean Aix-Marseille II; her habilitation thesis was Étude arithmétique et dynamique de suites algorithmiques.
Berthé is a vice-president of the Société mathématique de France (SMF), and director of publications for the SMF. She has played an active role in L'association femmes et mathématiques. Berthé has also been associated with the M. Lothaire pseudonymous mathematical collaboration on combinatorics on words and the Pythias Fogg pseudonymous collaboration on substitution systems.
- Curriculum vitae (PDF), April 2012, retrieved 2018-02-10
- Berthé Valérie, Institut de Recherche en Informatique Fondamentale (IRIF), retrieved 2018-02-10
- "Valérie Berthé, brillante tête chercheuse au CNRS", Ouest-France (in French), February 7, 2014
- Valérie Berthé at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Bureau, Société mathématique de France, retrieved 2018-02-10
- "Valérie Berthé", Women and Men Inspiring Europe Resource-Pool, European Institute for Gender Equality, retrieved 2018-02-10
- Lothaire, M. (2005), Applied combinatorics on words, Encyclopedia of Mathematics and Its Applications, 105, A collective work by Jean Berstel, Dominique Perrin, Maxime Crochemore, Eric Laporte, Mehryar Mohri, Nadia Pisanti, Marie-France Sagot, Gesine Reinert, Sophie Schbath, Michael Waterman, Philippe Jacquet, Wojciech Szpankowski, Dominique Poulalhon, Gilles Schaeffer, Roman Kolpakov, Gregory Koucherov, Jean-Paul Allouche and Valérie Berthé, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, ISBN 0-521-84802-4, Zbl 1133.68067
- Pytheas Fogg, N. (2002), Berthé, Valérie; Ferenczi, Sébastien; Mauduit, Christian; Siegel, A., eds., Substitutions in dynamics, arithmetics and combinatorics, Lecture Notes in Mathematics, 1794, Berlin: Springer-Verlag, ISBN 3-540-44141-7, Zbl 1014.11015