Valac is a demon described in the goetic grimoires the Lesser Key of Solomon (in some versions as Ualac or Valak and in Thomas Rudd's variant as Valu), Johann Weyer's Pseudomonarchia Daemonum (as Volac), the Liber Officium Spirituum (as Coolor or Doolas), and in the Munich Manual of Demonic Magic (as Volach) as an angelically winged boy riding a two-headed dragon, attributed with the power of finding treasures.
In popular culture
- The 1998 movie "Vampires" features a character named "Valek" as the first vampire.
- "Volac" appears in the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina comic book series. In issue #7, a young Edward Spellman, father of Sabrina Spellman, summons the demon at the request of Alphonse Louis Constant.
- "Ualac" appears in the Hellboy story "Box Full of Evil" as a major antagonist.
- The 2016 horror film The Conjuring 2 has "Valak" as the main antagonist, taking on the form of a demonic nun and The Crooked Man from the rhyme There Was a Crooked Man. However, the character bears no resemblance with mythology besides the name. In the films interpetation, the demon is associated with snakes, seeking human possession to escape its confinement within the Cartha monastery of Romania. The Nun would later have a cameo in the 2017 film Annabelle: Creation and receive its own spin-off films, The Nun, released on 7 September 2018, and The Crooked Man, still in development.
- Valac appears as the fourth boss in the game Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon for the Nintendo 3DS and PC. He is depicted as a two headed dragon that can fuse to make an even bigger dragon.
Valak appears in season one episode four "Raising Hell" of Netflix's Shadowhunters.
- Boudet, Jean-Patrice (2003). "Les who's who démonologiques de la Renaissance et leurs ancêtres médiévaux". Médiévales (in French) (44). Revues.org.
- Kieckhefer, Richard (1997). Forbidden Rites: A Necromancer's Manual of the Fifteenth Century. University Park, Pennsylvania: Pennsylvania State University Press. p. 161. ISBN 0-271-01750-3.
- Peterson, Joseph H., ed. (2001). Lemegeton Clavicula Salomonis: The Lesser Key of Solomon, Detailing the Ceremonial Art of Commanding Spirits Both Good and Evil;. Maine: Weiser Books. ISBN 1-57863-220-X.
- Porter, John (2011). Campbell, Colin D. (ed.). A Book of the Office of Spirits. Translated by Hockley, Frederick. Teitan Press. ISBN 0933429258.
- Porter, John; Weston, John (2015). Harms, Daniel; Clark, James R.; Peterson, Joseph H. (eds.). The Book of Oberon: A Sourcebook for Elizabethan Magic (first ed.). Llewellyn Publications. ISBN 978-0-7387-4334-9.
- Rudd, Thomas (2007). Skinner, Stephen; Rankine, David (eds.). The Goetia of Dr Rudd. Golden Hoard Press. ISBN 073872355X.
- Weyer, Johann (1563). Peterson, Joseph H. (ed.). Pseudomonarchia Daemonum (Liber officiorum spirituum). Twilit Grotto: Esoteric Archives (published 2000).