Location within Le Val-Saint-François RCM.
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Constituted||October 19, 1929|
|• Mayor||Laurian Gagné|
|• Federal riding||Shefford|
|• Prov. riding||Richmond|
|• Total||5.50 km2 (2.12 sq mi)|
|• Land||5.03 km2 (1.94 sq mi)|
|Elevation||365 m (1,198 ft)|
|• Density||467.3/km2 (1,210/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2006-2011||0.0%|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||450 and 579|
Valcourt (French pronunciation: [valkuʁ]) is a city in Quebec in Le Val-Saint-François Regional County Municipality in the Estrie region of Quebec.
The city is accessible via Quebec Route 222.
The origins of Valcourt go back to 1802, the year where the first inhabitants came to establish themselves in the township of Ely, which refers to a city in Great Britain. The first inhabitants were Loyalists, but by 1840 Canadiens began to arrive in the area. The first parish was created in 1856, and a civil entity in 1865 under the name of Township of Ely. The official name of Valcourt was not given until 1965, and took the name of the post office and the railroad station belonging to the Canadian Pacific Railway.
Many hypotheses exist as to the naming of Valcourt. The first is situated in the fact that a small valley in French would be a val court. The second is the deformation of a certain family name between 1849 and 1850 of Dalcourt. The last hypothesis is the existence of a village in the United States by the name of Valcour, situated just south of the border with Canada and the state of New York.
Mother tongue (2011)
|English and French||20||0.9%|
The J. Armand Bombardier museum is situated on the territory of the municipality. The main theme of the museum is the interpretation of the history of the snowmobile industry and of its inventor, Joseph-Armand Bombardier. The museum also houses three exhibition halls and a temporary exhibition hall.
- Gouvernement du Québec. "Commission de la Topnymie du Québec - Valcourt". Commission de la toponymie du Québec. Retrieved 16 June 2011. External link in
- "Ministère des Affaires municipales, des Régions et de l'Occupation du territoire: Valcourt". Archived from the original on 2011-12-27. Retrieved 2011-06-16.
- Parliament of Canada Federal Riding History: Valcourt (Quebec)
- 2011 Statistics Canada Census Profile: Valcourt, Quebec
- Gouvernement du Québec. "Commission de la Topnymie du Québec - Canton de Valcourt". Commission de la toponymie du Québec. Retrieved 16 June 2011. External link in
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 census
- [Lien web |url=http://www.museebombardier.com/fr/content/musee/histoire.htm Archived 2010-04-01 at the Wayback Machine |titre=Histoire du Musée J. Armand Bombardier |auteur=Musée J. Armand Bombardier |site= |consulté le=15 octobre 2010.]