Vale of Leven Hospital
|Vale of Leven Hospital|
|NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde|
Vale of Leven Hospital
|Location||Alexandria, West Dunbartonshire, Scotland|
|Affiliated university||University of Glasgow|
University of the West of Scotland
|Emergency department||No - Minor injuries only|
|Lists||Hospitals in Scotland|
Vale of Leven District General Hospital or simply the Vale of Leven Hospital is a district general hospital in Alexandria, West Dunbartonshire, Scotland. It is managed by NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde.
The hospital has its origins in the Henry Brock Hospital which opened in a converted private house in 1924. After the Second World War it was decided to commission a purpose-built facility: the new hospital was designed by Keppie Henderson & J L Gleave and built on a site adjacent to Henry Brock Cottage Hospital between 1951 and 1955.
The hospital has 92 inpatient beds as well as a Minor Injuries Unit. The hospital has approximately 47 births per year and has full accreditation as baby friendly, since 2006. This is down from 900 births per year in 2002.
An Inquiry was set up by Scottish Ministers to investigate the occurrence of C. difficile infection at the hospital from 1 January 2007 onwards. The Inquiry published its final report on 24 November 2014. The findings of the inquiry were considered by the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges and Faculties in Scotland, when they produced a report in July 2015, entitled “Learning from serious failings in care”.
- "Vale of Leven Hospital, the first new NHS hospital in Britain". Historic Hospitals. Retrieved 20 January 2019.
- "Hospital fight stepped up". BBC News. 6 May 2000. Retrieved 20 January 2019.
- "More patients using Vale of Leven Hospital's Minor Injuries Unit". Daily Record. 16 April 2018. Retrieved 20 January 2019.
- "Baby Friendly accreditation: Vale of Leven District General Hospital". Baby Friendly Initiative. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- "Staff shortage shuts maternity unit". BBC News. 24 October 2002.
- "Vale of Leven C. diff inquiry criticises health board". BBC News. 24 November 2014.
- "The Vale of Leven Hospital Inquiry". Scottish Government. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- "NHS accused of 'systemic failings'". Edinburgh News. 10 July 2015. Retrieved 12 July 2015.
- "Report warns patients put at risk by failings in NHS". Herald Scotland. 10 July 2015. Retrieved 12 July 2015.