Valentin Aleksandrovich Chmerkovskiy
March 24, 1986
|Other names||VC (rapper stage name)|
|Citizenship||Ukrainian / American|
|Occupation(s)||Choreographer, dancer, rapper|
|Television||Dancing with the Stars|
|Relatives||Maksim Chmerkovskiy (brother)|
Peta Murgatroyd (sister-in-law)
Valentin Aleksandrovich "Val" Chmerkovskiy (Ukrainian: Валентин Олександрович "Вал" Чмерковський; born March 24, 1986) is a Ukrainian-American professional dancer, best known for his appearances on the U.S. version of Dancing with the Stars, which he won twice. Chmerkovskiy is a two-time World Latin Dance Champion (Junior and Youth) and a 14-time U.S. National Latin Dance champion.
Early life and career
Chmerkovskiy was born in the Ukrainian city of Odesa, in what was then the Soviet Union. His parents are Aleksandr "Sasha" Chmerkovskiy and Larisa Chmerkovskaya. His older brother, Maksim Chmerkovskiy (born 1980), is also a professional dancer who appears on Dancing with the Stars. His father is Jewish, and his mother is Christian.
The family moved to the United States in 1994. In 1996, Maksim and Sasha opened a youth-oriented dance studio in New Jersey, and Valentin was one of the students. In 2001, Valentin and partner Diana Olonetskaya, 15, became the first American dance team to win a world junior championship title.
Chmerkovskiy is a co-owner of nine social dance studios under the brand "Dance With Me". Six are in the New York metropolitan area (Glen Rock and Fort Lee in New Jersey; Glen Cove, Long Island; SoHo, Manhattan; Midtown Manhattan; and Stamford, Connecticut). The three other studios are located in Southlake, Texas, The Woodlands, Texas, and Summerlin, Nevada. Previously one was in Sherman Oaks, California, but has since changed ownership.
In 2015, Chmerkovskiy began an on and off relationship with fellow DWTS dancer Jenna Johnson. In 2017, he confirmed that he and Johnson were dating again. On June 15, 2018, the couple shared their engagement on Instagram. They were married on April 13, 2019. On July 15, 2022, Chmerkovskiy and Johnson announced that they are pregnant and due with their first child in January 2023. Their son was born on January 10, 2023.
Dancing with the Stars
Chmerkovskiy first appeared on season 2, February 10, 2006, as a student of his brother during Week 6. The students were: Valentin & Valeriya Kozharinova, Sergei Onik & Michelle Glazarov and Boris Leokumovich & Nicole Volynets. The couples performed two numbers.
Chmerkovskiy then appeared once again on season 4 results show on May 8, 2007. He starred in a dance-off against his brother, Maksim Chmerkovskiy.
He appeared on the season 11 results show on October 5, 2010, performing a music and dance duel against Mark Ballas. While performing to the song "Toxic" by Britney Spears, Val played the violin and danced with Lacey Schwimmer.
In season 14, Chmerkovskiy was partnered with comedian and talk show host Sherri Shepherd. On Rock Week (Week 4) of Dancing with the Stars, they were the third couple to be eliminated, finishing in 10th place.
For season 21, he was partnered with R&B singer and reality television star, Tamar Braxton. On November 11, 2015, Braxton revealed that she had to withdraw from the competition due to health issues.
Chmerkovskiy did not return for season 26, but he was revealed to be back for season 27 where he was paired with actress Nancy McKeon. They were the third couple to be eliminated, finishing in 11th place.
For season 28, he returned where he was originally paired with model and actress Christie Brinkley. However, five days before the premiere, she withdrew from the competition due to a broken arm sustained in rehearsals. As a result, Brinkley's daughter and model Sailor Brinkley-Cook stepped in as a replacement. Despite consistently earning high scores, the couple was surprisingly eliminated on week 6 and finished in ninth place.
|17||Elizabeth Berkley Lauren||6th||26.5|
- Coincidentally, Val has had the same outcome in his first four seasons on Dancing with the Stars as his older brother Maksim had on his first four seasons on the show; eliminated before the finals on his first two seasons, third place on his third, and the runner-up on his fourth season.
- Val shares a record originally set by Mark Ballas of having the most celebrity partners (four) to never individually score less than 8 from any judge. He is also the only professional to go three consecutive seasons without ever scoring less than an eight (16, 17, 18) with Zendaya, Elizabeth Berkley Lauren & Danica McKellar.
- Val and his season 19 partner Janel Parrish hold the record for the earliest perfect score, receiving it during week 3 (matched by Bethany Mota & Derek Hough later in the same show and by Juan Pablo Di Pace & Cheryl Burke in season 27).
- "Dancing with the Stars' Val Chmerkovskiy and Jenna Johnson Are Married". People. April 13, 2019.
- "Valentin Chmerkovskiy". [[TV Guide|]]. Archived from the original on April 22, 2016. Retrieved July 31, 2016.
- Ian Spelling (December 9, 2011). "Maksimum Exposure: Fort Lee resident Maksim Chmerkovskiy talks Dancing with the Stars and running his Bergen-based dance studios". Bergen.com. Retrieved January 14, 2015.
- "Maksim Chmerkovskiy". TV Guide. Retrieved October 23, 2014.
- "Jewish Professional Dancer Maksim Chmerkovskiy: Israel 'Promotes Peace First and Foremost' But Somehow, They're Always in Conflict". The Algemeiner. December 3, 2014. Retrieved December 15, 2015.
- Childers, Linda (December 19, 2019). "Two To Tango". The Boca Raton Observer.
- Shayna Samuels (April 21, 2002). "And One And Two, And the Dancers Are Off!". The New York Times. Retrieved January 14, 2015.
- Myles Ma (August 6, 2013). "N.J. studio owned by 'Dancing with the Stars' professionals to expand". NJ.com. Retrieved January 14, 2015.
- "Our Dance Studio Locations". October 17, 2016. Retrieved June 6, 2017.
- "Val Chmerkovskiy on Girlfriend (and DWTS Costar) Jenna Johnson: 'I Think She's the Best Girl'". People. September 26, 2017.
- "Dancing with the Stars' Val Chmerkovskiy and Jenna Johnson Are Engaged!". People. June 14, 2018.
- "Pregnant! DWTS' Jenna Johnson Is Expecting 1st Child With Val Chmerkovskiy". Us Weekly. July 15, 2022.
- Dancing with the Stars – Cowboy Theme. Kseniya Fyodorova. November 1, 2012. Archived from the original on March 8, 2016. Retrieved August 23, 2021 – via YouTube.
- Dancing with the Stars (October 10, 2010). "Mark Ballas vs. Val Chmerkovskiy – Toxic Duel". YouTube. Archived from the original on December 21, 2021. Retrieved December 12, 2021.
- Dancing with the Stars: Pairs Revealed for All-Stars Season
- Kubicek, Adam (November 25, 2014). "'Dancing with the Stars' Season 19 Finale Recap: And the Winner Is..." BuddyTV. Archived from the original on November 29, 2014. Retrieved November 25, 2014.
- "Dancing with the Stars Season 21 Cast Announcement". ABC. September 2, 2015. Retrieved September 2, 2015.
- "tamarbraxtonher Instagram". Instagram. November 11, 2015. Archived from the original on December 24, 2021.
- McCarthy, Kelly (September 5, 2018). "Val Chmerkovskiy will dance with Nancy McKeon on season 27 of Dancing With the Stars". Good Morning America. ABC News. Retrieved September 10, 2018.
- "Dancing with the Stars: Teresa Giudice, Wayne Brady, Selma Blair and More Celebs Join Season 31". Peoplemag. Retrieved September 8, 2022.