Valentine's Day (David Bowie song)
|Single by David Bowie|
|from the album The Next Day|
|Released||19 August 2013|
|Recorded||The Magic Shop
(New York, New York)
|David Bowie singles chronology|
"Valentine's Day" is a song by English rock musician David Bowie, the fourth single from his 24th studio album The Next Day. The single was released on 19 August 2013. This was to be David Bowie's last 7 inch single issued from a new album in his lifetime. The lyrics are based on the psychology of a shooter.
The single was released on 19 August 2013 in the UK and on the 20th in the US and other countries. In early August 2013, the single was added to the BBC Radio 2's A-list. The single entered UK's Airplay Chart Top 40 on 9 August 2013, making it the second most successful single from The Next Day (after "Where Are We Now?") in terms of airplay.
The video for "Valentine's Day" was directed by Indrani and Markus Klinko, who previously collaborated with Bowie on his 2002 album Heathen. It features Bowie in the abandoned Red Hook Grain Terminal in the Red Hook neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York. In the video, Bowie plays a G2T Hohner guitar while performing the song. Many commentators contrasted the video with the controversial preceding video for "The Next Day" and described it as more "subdued" in comparison. However, visual hints towards gun violence and the NRA were also noted, suggesting the video was conveying a subtle anti-gun message.
- David Bowie: Vocals, Electric Guitar
- Earl Slick: Acoustic Guitar
- Tony Visconti: Bass Guitar
- Sterling Campbell: Drums
- Anderson, Kyle (1 March 2013). "David Bowie's first new album in 10 years now streaming in iTunes. Worth the wait? The EW review". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 24 October 2015.
- Toland, Michael (3 May 2013). "David Bowie The Next Day". The Austin Chronicle. Retrieved 28 December 2015.
- Valentine’s Day picture disc 45 due for August, 14 July 2013, retrieved 12 August 2013
- Valentine’s Day single added to BBC Radio 2 A-list, 4 August 2013, retrieved 12 August 2013
- David Bowie: Valentine's Day, 17 July 2013, retrieved 30 July 2013
- Miller, Adam (16 July 2013), David Bowie Turns Sinister In Stylish New Video For 'Valentine's Day' (VIDEO), retrieved 30 July 2013
- Jones, Lucy (30 July 2013), David Bowie Takes On The NRA & Charlton Heston?, retrieved 30 July 2013
|This 2010s single-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|