University of Chicago
Professor Errol Valentine Daniel is a Sri Lankan Tamil academic, anthropologist and author. He is currently Professor of Anthropology and Director of the Southern Asian Institute at Columbia University.
Daniel taught at the University of Washington (1978–90). He then taught at the University of Michigan (1990–97), serving as Director of the Program in Comparative Studies in Social Transformation from 1995 to 1997. He then joined Columbia University. Daniel has also been a visiting professor at the University of Amsterdam, University of Texas at Austin, Centre d’étude de l’Inde et de l’Asie Sud and United Nations University.
Valentine has written several books:
- Karma: An Anthropological Inquiry (1983, University of California Press. co-editor Charles F. Keyes)
- Fluid Signs: Being a Person the Tamil Way (1984, University of California Press)
- The Semeiosis of Suicide in Sri Lanka (1989, in Semiotics, Self, and Society by Benjamin Lee and Greg Urban, Mouton de Gruyter)
- Plantations, Proletarians, and Peasants in Colonial Asia (1992, Frank Cass & Co, co-editors Henry Bernstein and Tom Brass)
- Culture/Contexture: Essays in Anthropology and Literary Study (1996, University of California Press, co-editor Jeffrey M. Peck)
- Mistrusting Refugees (1996, University of California Press, co-editor John Knudsen)
- Charred Lullabies: Chapters in an Anthropography of Violence (1997, Princeton University Press)
- Suffering Nation and Alienation (1997, in Social Suffering by Kleinman, Das and Lock, University of California Press)
- The Limits of Culture (1998, in In Near Ruins: Cultural Theory at the End of the Century by Nicholas B. Dirks, University of Minnesota Press)
- The Refugee: A Discourse on Displacement (2002, in Exotic No More: Anthropology on the Front Lines by Jeremy MacClancy, University of Chicago Press)
- "E Valentine Daniel". Columbia University.
- Daniel, E. Valentine (17 October 1999). "But Neelan Tiruchelvam, I trusted". The Sunday Times (Sri Lanka).
- "Jaffna College celebrates two centennials". Sunday Observer (Sri Lanka). 14 November 2004. Archived from the original on 24 September 2015. Retrieved 8 August 2015.
- Kanagsabapathipillai, Dushiyanthini (10 August 2013). "Jaffna College: Celebrating Excellence". Ceylon Today (02/225). p. 5.
- "About the Authors". Macalester College.
- Keyes, Charles F.; Daniel, E. Valentine, eds. (1983). Karma: An Anthropological Inquiry. University of California Press. p. ix. ISBN 0-520-04429-0.
- "E. Valentine Daniel". John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation.
- "Karma, an Anthropologoical Inquiry". University of California Press.
- "Fluid Signs: Being a Person the Tamil Way". University of California Press.
- "Culture/Contexture: Explorations in Anthropology and Literary Studies". University of California Press.
- "Mistrusting Refugees". University of California Press.
- "Charred Lullabies: Chapters in an Anthropography of Violence". Princeton University Press.
- Sivaguru, Puthu. "Book Review: Suffering Nation and Alienation". Ilankai Tamil Sangam.