Valerie Landau is an American designer, author and educator. She serves as Director of Assessment at Samuel Merritt University where she designed a software application that facilitates analysis and assessment of how effectively an organization is meeting their goals and objectives at course, program and institutional levels.
She has filed two patents along with her colleague and mentor Douglas Engelbart. Their most recent patent (filed April 2010) describes multitouch interface for chorded text entry. The new patent is inspired by Engelbart's early work developing the Chorded keyboard. They also released an application for the iPhone for chorded texting called "TipTapSpeech".
Landau is also a co-founder of Program for the Future, a non-profit organization that promotes Engelbart's vision of Collective intelligence. She also is author of the seminal book on online education "Developing an Effective Online Course"  and earned the "Online Pioneer" award.
Landau, also known for her work in multimedia at Round World Media and for her work mentoring students in a three-year project studying and applying the Engelbart Hypothesis. and created an online archive of Engelbart related events and videos.
In addition, she leads high level research delegations to Cuba.
Landau's parents are poet Nina Serrano and filmmaker Saul Landau. She attended some elementary school and high school in Cuba and worked alongside her father on three documentary films about Fidel Castro and the Cuban Revolution. She also worked with other documentary TV crews including German TV, and CBS show 60 Minutes with Lowell Bergman and Harry Reasoner.She co-founded Round World Media along with her brother, four-time Grammy nominated music producer, Greg Landau.
She graduated from the Harvard Graduate School of Education from the Department of Human Development and Psychology with an emphasis in Technology in Education in 1996.
Valerie Landau is the Director of Assessment at Samuel Merritt University.
- U.S. Patent office 2010
- "Published by NextPress, Berkeley, 2009".
- Published by McGraw Hill, 2001
- "Valerie Landau". www.roundworldmedia.com.
- "student". www.roundworldmedia.com.
- "archive". www.roundworldmedia.com.
- "R o u n d W o r l d M e d i a - Engelbart". roundworldmedia.com.
- Parents' Choice Gold Award Seal of Excellence
- Newsweek Editor's Choice Award 1997 indelibleNews!
- Oppenheim Toy Portfolio, Platinum Award, 1996
- The Sandinista Literacy Campaign by Dr. Ulrike Hanemann, UNESCO, Institute for Education, Hamburg, Germany