This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Valerie Pachner in 2019
|Born||26 June 1987|
Valerie Pachner (born 26 June 1987) is an Austrian actress.
Life and work
Valerie Pachner grew up in Bad Schallerbach, Austria, and studied acting at the renowned Max Reinhardt Seminar in Vienna from 2009 to 2013. She was then part of the ensemble cast at the Residenztheater in Munich, under artistic director Martin Kušej until 2017. Her work on stage was awarded twice in 2016.
Pachner starred as the female lead in the 2015 film Bad Luck (directed by Thomas Woschitz), which was nominated for the Max-Ophüls-Preis. After that she appeared in Elisabeth Scharang's Jack and Maria Schrader's biopic of the Austrian writer Stefan Zweig, Vor der Morgenröte (Stefan Zweig: Farewell to Europe), Pachner played Zweig's stepdaughter alongside Barbara Sukowa and Josef Hader as Stefan Zweig.
In 2019 The Ground Beneath My Feet by Marie Kreutzer was selected to compete for the Golden Bear at the 69th Berlin International Film Festival. Pachner´s leading performance was critically acclaimed internationally and earned her three awards, including the German Acting Award for Best Actress. The film had a limited theatrical release in the U.S. and was named one of The 10 Best Movies of 2019 by Vanity Fair.
The same year Terrence Malick's A Hidden Life with Pachner playing the female lead Franziska Jägerstätter premiered in competition at the 72nd Cannes Film Festival. It was also shown at the Toronto International Film Festival, the Telluride Film Festival and the Deauville American Film Festival. Malick had cast her first after one read, which came as a surprise for Pachner, stating she had not had a lot of experience with shooting movies at that time. Her performance was named by IndieWire as one of the best by an actress in 2019.
|2016||Stefan Zweig: Farewell to Europe||Alix Störk|
|Egon Schiele: Death and the Maiden||Wally Neuzil|
|2019||The Ground Beneath My Feet||Lola Wegenstein|
|All My Loving||Klara|
|A Hidden Life||Franziska Jägerstätter|
|2020||The King's Man|
|2019||Bauhaus - A New Era||Gunta Stölzl||Series|
- 2013: Orest (Chrysotemis, Hermione) - directed by David Bösch
- 2015: Three Sisters (Irina) - directed by Tina Lanik
- 2015: Opening Night: Alles über Laura (Nancy/Hannah) - directed by Bernhard Mikeska
- 2016: The Crucible (Mary Warren) - directed by Tina Lanik
- 2016: Faith, Hope and Charity (Elisabeth) - Regie: David Bösch
- 2004: Best Performance by a Young Actress (YOUKI)
- 2016: Förderpreis der Freunde des Residenztheaters
- 2016: Bayerischer Kunstförderpreis for Performing Arts
- 2017: Austrian Film Award (Best Actress)
- 2017: Romy (most popular shooting star, female)
- 2019: Best Performance by a young actress at the Filmkunstfest Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- 2019: Premio Maguey: Best Performance at the Guadalajara International Film Festival
- 2019: German Acting Award for Best Actress Deutscher Schauspielpreis
- 2019: Discovery Award at the SCAD Filmfestival Savannah College of Art and Design
- Süddeutsche Zeitung: In Sehnsucht verbunden, Interview about Three Sisters at the Residenztheater in Munich. Retrieved 24 March 2015.
- Münchner Merkur: Erstmal angekommen, Portrait about Valerie Pachner. Retrieved 22 March 2015.
- Terrence Malick Announces Next Film 'Radegund', Based on the Life of Franz Jägerstätter The Film Stage. Retrieved 22 June 2016.
- Berlinale: Mister Smith Entertainment Takes International Sales on Terrence Malick’s ‘Radegund’ Variety. Retrieved 23 January 2017.
- Valerie Pachners' debut role in A Hidden Life wins Discovery Award SCADDistrict. Retrieved 05 January 2020.
- Best Actress Performances 2019 indiewire. Retrieved 05 January 2020.
- Best Movies 2019 Vanity Fair. Retrieved 05 January 2020.
- "Ground beneath my feet". indiewire (in eng). 31 July 2019.CS1 maint: unrecognized language (link)
- "Best Movies 2019". indiewire (in eng). 3 December 2019.CS1 maint: unrecognized language (link)
- "A Hidden Life Terrence Malick Process". indiewire (in eng). 6 January 2020.CS1 maint: unrecognized language (link)
- "When Terrence Malick called Valerie Pachner entered Hidden Life". sfchronicle (in eng). 12 December 2019.CS1 maint: unrecognized language (link)
- "Best Actress Performances 2019". indiewire (in eng). 10 December 2019.CS1 maint: unrecognized language (link)
- "Schauspielpreis für Valerie Pachner und Rainer Bock". Wetterauer Zeitung (in German). 13 September 2019.
- "Valerie Pachners Debut-role in A Hidden Life wins Discovery Award". scaddistrict (in eng). 30 October 2019.CS1 maint: unrecognized language (link)