|Member of Parliament
for Walsall South
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Bruce George|
|Born||Valerie Carol Marian Vaz
7 December 1954
|Relations||Keith Vaz (brother)|
|Parents||Anthony Xavier Vaz and Merlyn Vaz|
|Religion||Roman Catholic|
Valerie Carol Marian Vaz (born 7 December 1954) is a British politician and lawyer. A member of the Labour Party, she has served as the Member of Parliament (MP) for Walsall South since the 2010 general election.
Her father worked in the airline industry, while her mother worked two jobs, as a teacher and for Marks & Spencer. Her father committed suicide when she was 16. Vaz attended Twickenham County Grammar School before going on to Bedford College, University of London where she completed a BSc (Hons) degree in Biochemistry in 1978.
In 1984 she qualified as a solicitor and subsequently worked as a lawyer in local government in London. She set up her own law firm, Townsend Vaz Solicitors, and has sat as a Deputy District Judge in the County Court on the Midland and Oxford Circuit.
In 2001, she joined the Government Legal Service, and worked at the Treasury Solicitors Department and the Ministry of Justice. She worked as a presenter and interviewer for the BBC TV programme Network East in 1987.
Vaz was a councillor in the London Borough of Ealing from 1986 to 1990, and the council's Deputy Leader from 1988 to 1989. She stood unsuccessfully as a parliamentary candidate in the constituency of Twickenham in the 1987 general election, and in the 1999 European elections in the East Midlands. She was elected in the 2010 general election, securing the Walsall South seat with a reduced Labour majority of 1,755 (8.2% swing to the Conservative Party).
In June 2010 she was selected as a Labour member of the Health Select Committee. She is also Vice Chairwoman of the Labour Parliamentary Party, having been elected by fellow Labour MPs.
Personal and family life
Vaz is married to Paul Townsend. The couple have one teenage daughter. Her hobbies include music and gardening. Her younger brother Keith Vaz is also a Labour MP, while her sister Penny is a lawyer. Her late mother Merlyn Vaz was formerly a Labour councillor in Leicester.
- Profile, ukwhoswho.com; accessed 12 May 2015]
- "About Valerie". Retrieved 24 May 2010.[dead link]
- Laville, Sandra (2 January 2013). "Keith Vaz on Jacintha Saldanha's children: This could be me 42 years ago'". The Guardian.
- "Election highs for Royal Holloway alumni". www.rhul.ac.uk. Retrieved 24 May 2010.
- Jim Pickard (24 June 2010). "Westminster select committees: Labour & Tory membership". Financial Times. Retrieved 29 June 2010.
- Tim Walker (22 April 2010). "General Election 2010: Joanne Cash says every dog has its day". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 26 May 2010.
- Valerie Vaz MP official website
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 1803–2005
- Electoral history and profile at The Guardian
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
- Candidate Valerie Vaz at the Daily Telegraph