Valeriu Sterian in 1998, at the release of Bestiar, album made by Ilie Stoian
|Birth name||Valeriu Octavian Sterian|
|Born||21 September 1952|
Știubei, Buzău County, Romania
|Died||16 September 2000 (aged 47)|
|Genres||Folk, rock, folk rock, hard rock, progressive rock, pop rock, blues, jazz, country rock|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, singer, songwriter, poet, sound engineer, television host|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, percussion, drums, harmonica, violin, piano, keyboards|
|Labels||Electrecord, Compania de Sunet, Metropol Music, Eurostar, Roton, Fundația Culturală Phoenix|
|Associated acts||Copiii Florilor, Vali și Carmen, Catena, Compania de Sunet, Dan Andrei Aldea, Alexandru Andrieș, Nicu Alifantis, Doru Stănculescu, Mircea Bodolan, Maria Gheorghiu|
Valeriu Sterian started as a drummer during secondary school in the music band Copiii Florilor (Flower Children). His official debut was in 1973 at the Ballads' Spring Festival (Festivalul Primavara Baladelor) (where he received the Best Song Award for the single Nopți (Nights). At that time he was performing with Carmen Marin as Vali și Carmen.
He played for many years within the Cenaclul Flacăra. In 1979 he founded a music band called Compania de Sunet (Sound Company), with which he toured all over the country and also in Bulgaria, Hungary, USSR, Poland, Norway, France, United Kingdom, and in the US.
In 1993 he founded a record company called B'Inișor ("Pretty well"). He collaborated with other Romanian musicians, such as: Alexandru Andrieș, Nicu Alifantis, Doru Stănculescu, Mircea Bodolan, Maria Gheorghiu.
In 1999 he was involved in a road traffic accident on Gheorghe Magheru Avenue in Bucharest in which two people were killed. He was arrested on 4 October on suspicion of homicide and driving under the influence of alcohol.
Within a month he was bailed and died of cancer the following year.
- Muzică folk – Folk Music (Electrecord, 1975)
- Antirăzboinică – The antiwar one (Electrecord, 1979)
- Veac XX – Century XX (Electrecord, 1982)
- Nimic fără oameni – Nothing Without Beings (Electrecord, 1989)
- Nopți – Nights (Norway, 1990)
- Vino, Doamne! – Come down, Saviour! (Compania de Sunet & Metropol Music, 1991)
- S-a votat Codul penal – The Criminal Law is now enforced (Compania de Sunet & Eurostar, 1992)
- Evenimentul zilei... și altele – Daily News ... and much more (Compania de Sunet, 1994)
- Rugă – The Prayer (Compania de Sunet & Roton, 1998)
- The Very Best of Valeriu Sterian (Fundația Culturală Phoenix, 2000)
- Din darul magilor 5 – In memoriam Valeriu Sterian – Tribute album (Fundația Culturală Phoenix, 2000)
- Muzică de colecție, Vol. 66 – Vali Sterian (Jurnalul Național, Compania de Sunet & Electrecord, 2008)