Valeriu Traian Frențiu
|Valeriu Traian Frențiu|
|Greek Catholic Diocese of Oradea Mare|
Frențiu sitting surrounded by young priests, among them Alexander Ratiu
|Church||Romanian Greek Catholic Church|
|Born||25 April 1875
|Died||11 July 1952
Life and career
His father was a priest named Joachim and his mother named Rozalia.
He studied theology in Budapest (1894–98). In 1902 he received his Ph.D. in Theology.
The Greek-Catholic clergy
He was ordained a priest on 28 September 1898. He worked in the Diocese of Lugoj as rector, dean of Drastic, chancellor and vicar foraneu.
Greek Catholic Bishop
On 4 November 1912, at age 37, was appointed bishop of Lugoj. On 25 February 1922, Bishop Frentiu was transferred to Oradea and mounted on 3 May that year.
On 5 September 1937 the church dedicated Madaras, and on 8 September 1937 consecrated the church in Istria and Greek-Catholic Bocsa.
After the death of Bishop Alexander Niculescu in 1941, Bishop Frentiu was moved to the position of Apostolic Administrator of the Archdiocese of Alba Iulia and Fagaras, ministering here throughout the war. In 1947 he returned to Oradea.
Under communist persecution
In Oradea was arrested on 28 October 1948 and went into camp at Dragoslavele, and then the refusal to pass the Romanian Orthodox Church in February 1949, was taken to the monastery Căldăruşani.
At Căldăruşani, Valeriu Traian Frenţiu consecrated Bishop Bishop, underground, on John Chertes the night of Christmas of 1949.
End of life
In 1950 arrived in Sighet Prison, where, after two years, unable to bear the hardness of extermination regime, died on 11 July 1952. Other bishops also dead in Sighet, was buried in one night, without a coffin in a mass grave in the Cemetery of the Poor. Grave was leveled to no longer know burial place and to avoid pilgrimages to the graves of the martyrs killed in Sighet.
There has been tried and convicted. In 2011, the City Council decision Resita Dr. Valeriu Traian Frenţiu Martyr Bishop was elected Honorary Citizen of Resita Post Mortem, a town that Frenţiu was born.
He renovated the Greek Catholic Church in Beiuș at his own expense
1. Vicar foraneu: delegat al unei dieceze vecine care exercită o jurisdicție limitată și temporară asupra vicariatului apostolic.
2. Noi consacrari de biserici
3. Vila patriarhală de la Dragoslavele
4. Ioan M. Bota, Istoria Bisericii universale și a Bisericii românești de la origini până în zilele noastre, pp. 332 și 350.
- Ioan M. Bota, Istoria Bisericii universale și a Bisericii românești de la origini până în zilele noastre, Casa de Editură „Viața Creștină”, Cluj-Napoca, 1994. ISBN 973-96661-5-9
- Ioan Ploscaru, Lanțuri și Teroare, Editura Signata, Timișoara, 1993, ISBN 973-551-028-6