|Born||Valery Yakovlevich Leontiev
19 March 1949
Ust-Usa, Komi ASSR, RSFSR, Soviet Union
|Alma mater||Saint-Petersburg State University of Culture and Arts|
Valery Yakovlevich Leontiev (Russian: Валерий Яковлевич Леонтьев; born 19 March 1949 in Ust-Usa, Komi ASSR, RSFSR, Soviet Union) is a Soviet and Russian pop singer whose popularity peaked in the early 1980s. He was titled a People's Artist of Russia in 1996. He is known as one of the most prominent artists of Russian music. Over the course of his decades-long career, he has recorded more than 30 albums, many of which sold millions of copies. In 1991 Leontiev received the World Music Award as "Best-Selling Soviet Recording Artist of the Year" and in 1999 Leontiev received the Living Legend Award by Ovation Awards. The media refers to Valery Leontiev as a megastar and a legend of the Russian scene.
Biography and stage career
Prior to becoming a singer, he faced a hard childhood and struggle with his parents. His original dream was to pursue a career in oceanography, unfortunately, it was not realised as he failed to pass the entry exams to a college. However, he did not let that stop him as he eventually was able to go to Syktyvkar and pursue a singing career. Before he knew it, he became a member of the Republican Philharmonic ensemble called Echo.
He began performing at historic landmarks such as the concert hall Oktyabrskiy Big Concert Hall in St. Petersburg. Then he joined the Gorky Philharmonic and his career began to take off. As the public began to recognize his style and singing, they became immersed in his music and he was on his way to ultimate Russian stardom. From here on he began travelling all over the country, then Europe, and then the world. In 1987, he graduated from the Institute of Culture and also received the Merited Artist of Ukraine title. He became a well recognized figure as he was nominated and won numerous world music awards.
Leontiev in first Union pop festival, held in Yerevan in 1981
On the stage
- 1972 – First solo concert was in Vorkuta (Palace of Culture Miners).
- 1975 – Tour in USSR
- 1978 – Tour in Belarus
- 1980 – First concerts in Moscow
- 1981 – First solo concerts in Oktyabrskiy Big Concert Hall, Leningrad
- 1981 – First participation in the finale of the festival "Song of the Year "
- 1981 – participated in the competition – festival "Yerevan-81".
- 1982 – Tour in USSR
- 1983 – concert program, "I'm just a singer" (18 sold-out concerts in Leningrad)
- 1984 – concert program, "I run for life"
- 1985 – concert program, "Alone with all", which became a cult. Because queues for tickets on a few central streets of Leningrad stopped traffic. 10 concerts
- 1986 – concert program "Star story" Tour in Czechoslovakia.
- 1987 – concert program "Favorites", Tour in Bulgaria.
- 1988 June – 1989 November – rock opera "Giordano", more than 50 concerts in Moscow and Leningrad. Leontiev plays 3 main roles (out of 4!) – Giordano Bruno, a clown and Satan.
- 1988 – show "A matter of taste, tour in India
- 1988–1989 grand tour of cities of the USSR. For example, only one Novosibirsk in 1988 Leontiev gives a series of 27 recitals.  and in Almaty 33 solo concerts.
- 1990 – show "It seems to me that I have not lived" in the Olympic Stadium. Concerts in USA, India, Germany, Israel
- 1991 – Tour in India, Canada, USA, Germany
- 1992 – Tour in Israel, Canada, USA
- 1993 – show "Full Moon" – first super-show in Russia
- 1994 – show "Beauty and Casanova" – the first concert of pop star with a symphony orchestra in Russia. With the participation of the sex symbol of the 1960 Gina Lollobrigida. Tour in Israel.
- 1996 – show "On the road to Hollywood", touring in the USA., Germany, Israel, Canada
- 1998 – Concert on the Star Square, a solo concert at the 50 th anniversary of the State of Israel (Tel Aviv, 14 May 1998), a tour in Germany, the United States and the United Arab Emirates
- 1999 super-show "Photographer of Dreams", a tour to Russia, Ukraine, Israel, United States, Canada, Germany, Baltic states
- 2001 super-show "Unnamed Planet", a tour to Russia, Ukraine, Baltic States, United States, Germany.
- 2002 – concert in Atlantic City, Moscow, Kiev, Tallinn, Riga, Vilnius, Minsk. Tour in Baltic states, Israel, Germany
- 2003 – concert tour of "The Sixth Life" (Russia, Ukraine, United States, Germany, Israel)
- 2004, concert in Los Angeles, 11–14 March – solo concerts in Oktyabrskiy Big Concert Hall.
- 2004, 12 March – The 300th solo concert in St. Petersburg.
- 2005 – concert program, "Valery Leontiev presents ..." (Russia, Ukraine, Belarus..)
- 2006–2008 – Tour to Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Latvia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Azerbaijan, Israel
- 2009–2010 an anniversary show of "I love you, miss you, I'm waiting. Tour in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Latvia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Azerbaijan, USA., Israel, Australia, concert in Sydney, Melbourne.
- October 21–22, 2011 – concert in the Kremlin Palace of Congresses (the show "The best ever!")
- 2012 – Tour with a concert program "The best ever!", dedicated to the 40th anniversary of creative activity (Russia, Ukraine,Сanada, USA);
- October 21–22, 2012 – concert in the Kremlin Palace of Congresses (show "By popular demand ...")
- 2013 – Tour in Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan
- 2014 – 19, 21, 22 March – The anniversary concerts in the Oktyabrskiy Big Concert Hall, St. Petersburg; March 28 – the anniversary concert in the State Kremlin Palace, concert in Geneva, Israel
- 2015 – Tour in Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Germany.
|Year (P)||Number||Original title||Title in English||Format||Label, country|
|1986||С60—23753-4||Дискоклуб 16(Б)||Disco club 16 B||LP|
|1986||С60—24623-4||Бархатный сезон||Velvet season||LP|
|1988||С60—26737-8||Я – просто певец||I am – just a singer||LP|
|1990||С60 30317 006||Дело вкуса||A matter of taste||LP, CD|
|1990||С60—30317-8||Грешный путь||Wicked Way||LP, CD||Melodiya, USSR|
|1993||SNCD – 3013||Ночь||Night||LP, CD||SNC records, USSR|
|1993||R90 02179-80||Полнолуние||Full Moon||LP, CD||Аprelevka Sound Inc, Russia|
|1994||R90 01913||У ворот Господних||At the gate of the Lord||LP||Aprelevka Sound, Russia|
|1995||AXMC 3-0038||По дороге в Голливуд||On the road to Hollywood||CD||APEX Records, Russia|
|1998||AXCD5-0054||Санта-Барбара||Santa Barbara||CD||DANA Music, Russia|
|1999||АРС027-99||Канатный плясун||Rope-Dancer||CD||АРС Records, Russia|
|1999||VL042/99-2||Каждый хочет любить||Everyone wants to love||CD||VL-Studio, Russia|
|2003||VL 045-02||Кленовый лист||Maple Leaf||CD||VL-Studio, Russia|
|2004||GR CD – 387||Ночной звонок||Night Call||CD||Grand Records, Russia|
|2005||GR CD – 433||Падаю в небеса||I fall into the heavens||CD||Grand Records, Russia|
|2009||МТ 1000294-230-1||Годы странствий||The years of wandering||CD||Monolit Records, Russia|
|2011||МТ 000410-738-1||Художник||Painter||CD||Monolit Records, Russia|
|2014||МТ 001091-383-1||Любовь-капкан||Love-Trap||CD||Monolit Records, Russia|
- 1979 – 1st Award at the All-Union Contest in Yalta for the best performance of the songs of the Soviet nations
- First prize of the XVI International Festival "Golden Orpheus" in Bulgaria (1980)
- "ZD Awards 1980" – singer of the year 
- "Performer of the Year 1981" according to the contest, "Estrada-81" (Komsomolskaya Pravda 02/05/1982) 
- "Singer of the Year 1983" according to a poll of readers of the newspaper "Smena" (1983) 
- "Singer of the Year 1984" according to a poll of readers of the newspaper "Smena" (1984)
- "Singer of the Year 1985" according to a poll of readers of the newspaper "Smena" (1985)
- "ZD Awards 1985" – singer of the year 
- "ZD Awards 1986" – singer of the year
- "The best song of 1987" on the basis of open voting ITAR-TASS in the USSR, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary and others – megahit "White Crow"
- "Singer of the Year 1988" on the basis of open voting ITAR-TASS 
- "Singer of the Year 1990" according to the All-Union charts TASS
- "Best song of 1990" according to the All-Union charts TASS "Wicked Way"
- World Music Awards in Monte Carlo, the prize Golden treble clef for "Best-selling soviet recording-artist of the year" (1991) 
- "Profi 1991". Prize – singer of the year
- "Ovation award 1993. Prize – "for nondecreasing artistry" (created specifically for Valery Leontiev)
- "ZD Awards 1996" for best show of the year – "On the road to Hollywood..."
- "Ovation 1996" for best show, the spectacle ("On the road to Hollywood")
- "Ovation 1996" in nomination "Singer of the Year"
- Song of the Year 1997 – awarded a special prize for a great contribution to the development of Russian pop music.
- "Ovation 1998", the prize is "Living Legend" 
- "Stopudoviy Hit 1998" – award from the radio station Hit FM for the song "Nine chrysanthemums"
- 28 March 1998 – the inception of a star on the Star Square (Moscow).
- "ZD Awards 1999" for best show of the year – "Photographer of Dreams"
- "Ovation 1999" for best show, the spectacle ("Photographer of Dreams")
- "Golden Gramophone 1999" for the hit "Everybody wants to love" 
- "Stopudoviy Hit 1999" award from the radio station Hit FM for the song "Everyone wants to love"
- "Stopudoviy Hit 2000" award from the radio station Hit FM for the song "Augustine"
- "Golden Gramophone 2000" for the hit "Augustine" 
- "ZD Awards 2001" for best show of the year – "super show Nameless Planet"
- "Muz-TV 2003" special prize "For achievements in the development of popular music" 
- Valery Leontiev listed in the Russian Encyclopedia (2005).
- "Golden Gramophone 2005" Special prize "For contribution to the development of the Russian pop music" 
- "Golden Gramophone 2008 " for the song "Dove" 
- "God of the Ether 2009" in nomination "Radiorekord" (for the record number of rotations)
- "ZD Awards 2009" – Special prize "Legend" 
- "ZD Awards 2014" – Special prize for a contribution to the development of Russian pop music.
|Image Valery Leontiev receives the Order of Merit for the Fatherland 4th class from Vladimir Putin, 2005|
- Lenin Komsomol Prize (1985) – for the promotion of Soviet pop songs of youth and high performance skills
- Merited Artist of Ukrainian SSR (1987)
- People's Artist of Russia (9 March 1996)
- Prize of the Moscow Government in the field of literature and the arts (1996) – for the super show "Full Moon" and "On the way to Hollywood"
- Prize of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia in the field of literature and the arts (1999)
- Order "For the rebirth of Russia. 21st Century" (2003)
- Order of Merit for the Fatherland, 4th class (19 March 2005) – for his great contribution to the development of music 
- Order of Mikhail Lomonosov (2007) 
- Order of Peter the Great, 1st class (2007)
- Order of Honor (2009) – for great contribution to the development of national music art and many years of creative activity 
- People's Artist of the Republic of Komi (2009) 
- Belarus president award Through Art - to Peace and Understanding presented by Alexander Lukashenko on 12 July 2009 
- Medal "For Faith and Good" (2010).
- Order of Friendship (2014) 
- Honorary Citizen of Sakha Republic (2014) 
|World Music Awards|
|Best-Selling Soviet Artist
|Living Legend Award
|Muz-TV Music Awards|
||Contribution to pop music development
|Through Art - to Peace and Understanding
Vladimir Mulyavin and Pesniary
- 1981: In a strange feast (На чужом празднике)
- 1985: Do not go, girls, get married ( Не ходите, девки, замуж )
- 1985: Insurance agent (Страховой агент )
- 1992: Psychic (Экстрасенс)
Musical films and musicals
- 1979: Crimean Dawns (Крымские зори)
- 1979: The film-concert "Olümpiaregati tähed \ Stars Olympic regatta" CT USSR and ETV
- 1984: I do not say goodbye to you ( Я с тобой не прощаюсь)
- 1984: Winds Baltic ETV
- 1985: Stained glass maker (Витражных дел мастер)
- 1986: Clown with autumn in the heart (Клоун с осенью в сердце)
- 1986: How to become a star (Как стать звездой)
- 1987: Valery Leontiev (film)
- 1990: Valery Leontiev. Let me go with you (Валерий Леонтьев. Дай мне уйти с тобой)
- 1991: Valery Leontiev Sings ( Поёт Валерий Леонтьев)
- 1991: Valery Leontiev. Made in India (Валерий Леонтьев. Made in India)
- 1997: Saturday evening with Valery Leontiev (Musical film RTR)
- 1997: Such different Valery Leontiev ( Такой разный Валерий Леонтьев)
- 1997: Parade parade is Valery Leontiev (Парад парадов представляет Валерий Леонтьев) movie channel TV-6)
- 2000: The reverse side of Valery Leontiev (Обратная сторона Валерия Леонтьева) movie channel ORT
- 2002: Cinderella (Musical film)
- 2003: Three tunes for the film Valery Leontiev (Три мелодии для фильма Валерия Леонтьева)
- 2009: Valery Leontiev in Komi (Валерий Леонтьев в Коми)
- 2009: I have not lived. Valery Leontiev (— Я ещё не жил. Валерий Леонтьев) movie channel ORT
- 2009: Valery Leontiev: Lost laughter (Валерий Леонтьев: Утерянный смех ) movie channel Inter
- 2009: Benefit Valery Leontiev "The Book of Fate" ( Бенефис Валерия Леонтьева "Книга судьбы") movie channel NTV
- 2012: Anniversary concert of Valery Leontiev "The best ever!" (Юбилейный концерт Валерия Леонтьева "Лучший навсегда!") concert channelORT
- 2012: "Hurtling time if a rider" ("Мчится время будто всадник") movie channel TV Tsentr
Statements about Leontiev
- President Vladimir Putin: "You rightly recognized master of song genre, artist who reached the summits of Pop Olympus thanks to genuine talent, professionalism and hard work" 
- President Dmitry Medvedev: "Over the years, the bright stage career, you not only have gained a great love of fans, but also sets a high standard of music for the new generations of artists. The songs performed by you, always lead not only in the charts, but also in the hearts of an audience of millions".
- President Alexander Lukashenko: ""Great talent, unparalleled professional skills and constant creative search brought you a well-deserved fame and recognition around the world" 
- Politician Valentina Matviyenko "You have created a stage persona which has never been on the stage and I am sure that nobody will never repeat, and you follow this image" 
- Singer Muslim Magomayev: "Name Valery Leontiev enough just to name – and do not have any colorful definitions! Everything is clear! Living Classic of our scene".
- Singer Joseph Kobzon: ""Tragically, we have a unit of this magnitude stars – Pugacheva, Leontiev ... Those people who for many years retain their creative person and love of the public" 
- Apartment in the club house in the historic center of Moscow. Purchased in 1993.
- Villa in Coral Gables, Miami, Florida, USA (neighbors – Sylvester Stallone and Madonna). Purchased in 1996
- Apartment on Collins Avenue, Miami, FL, USA. Purchased in 2002.
- Apartment in Hallandale Beach, Florida, USA. Purchased in 2005
- Villa in Alicante, Spain (neighbors – Mikhail Gorbachev, Victoria Beckham). Purchased in 2008 
- On account of Valery Leontiev there is even a duet with Vladimir Putin: in August 2006 in Sochi, a concert for the heads of the CIS, which Leont'ev worked for a program of four songs. In the final speech, when the artist was called for an encore, he decided to perform the song "Hope." Suddenly, he was joined by Vladimir Putin, at that time president of Russia – Leontiev handed him a microphone. Star duo snatched the applause, as the leaders of CIS countries, as well as fellow artists.
- Valery Leontiev has a car collection: Rolls-Royce Phantom, Bentley Continental, Aston martin, Maserati, Porsche Cayenne.
- Leontiev has his own recording studio in Kosmodamianskaya naberezhnaya
- Nu, pogodi! Episode 16 – Valery Leontiev song Green Light was played by the Wolf when he was caught by Baba Yaga, on the magical guitar. The Wolf does escape however, but lands on the water.
- Московский комсомолец.«секс, шампанское и рок-н-ролл»"
- Комсомольская правда.«В Саратове Валерий Леонтьев скрывался от поклонников»
- Вечерняя Москва.«"Валерий Леонтьев. Книга судьбы"»
- Russell, George (1981-10-12). "Soviet Union: Tired? Nyet!". Time. Retrieved 2013-11-10.
- "No Belarus names on Star Alley in Vitsebsk". Euroradio.FM. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- Путин спел дуэтом с Валерием Леонтьевым (in Russian). Newsmusic.ru. 2006-08-18. Retrieved 2013-11-10.
- Official website
- Valery Leontiev at the Internet Movie Database
- Valery Leontiev at MTV
- Valery Leontiev discography at Discogs
- Valery Leontiev at iTunes
- Fan club Deltaplan
- Fan club Augustine
- Fan club Tuner
- Fan club Nameless planet
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Valery Leontiev.|