|• Total||59 km2 (23 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
Stord in 1868 and|
Finnås in 1870
|Merged into||Sveio in 1964|
Valestrand is a former municipality in Hordaland county, Norway. The 59-square-kilometre (23 sq mi) municipality was located on a peninsula on the southern shore of the Bømlafjorden inside the present-day municipality of Sveio. The administrative centre of Valestrand was the village of Valevåg. The two churches in Valestrand were Valen Chapel and Valestrand Church.
The municipality of Valestrand was established on 15 May 1868 when the southern district of the large municipality of Stord (south of the Bømlafjorden) was separated from the rest of Stord to become its own municipality. Initially, Valestrand had a population of 900. On 1 April 1870, the Øklandsgrend area (population: 247) of the neighboring municipality of Finnås was transferred to Valestrand. On 1 January 1964, a major municipal merger took place as a result of the Schei Committee. The municipalities of Sveio (population: 1,697) and Valestrand (population: 1,216) were merged with the western part of the municipality of Vikebygd (population: 471) and a small portion of the northern part of the municipality of Skjold (population: 24), both located north and west of the Ålfjorden. The new municipality was called Sveio. The small portion from Skjold municipality was in Rogaland county, and after the merger it switched to Hordaland county.
- Einar Økland - poet, playwright, essayist and children's writer.
- Fartein Valen - composer and music theorist.
- Agnes Ravatn - author, columnist and journalist.
- Store norske leksikon. "Valestrand – tidligere kommune" (in Norwegian). Retrieved 2015-03-05.
- Jukvam, Dag (1999). "Historisk oversikt over endringer i kommune- og fylkesinndelingen" (PDF) (in Norwegian). Statistisk sentralbyrå.
- "Valestrand cultural church". www.visitnorway.com. Innovation Norway. Retrieved 10 July 2015.
|This Hordaland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|