Church in Valkenswaard
Location in North Brabant
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Anton Ederveen (CDA)|
|• Total||56.49 km2 (21.81 sq mi)|
|• Land||55.01 km2 (21.24 sq mi)|
|• Water||1.48 km2 (0.57 sq mi)|
|Elevation||25 m (82 ft)|
|• Density||557/km2 (1,440/sq mi)|
|Demonym(s)||Valkenswaarder / Valkenswaardenaar|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Valkenswaard (pronunciation (help·info)) is a municipality and a town in the southern Netherlands, in the Metropoolregio Eindhoven of the province of North Brabant. The municipality had a population of 30,615 in 2017 and spans an area of 56.49 km2 (21.81 sq mi) of which 1.48 km2 (0.57 sq mi) is water.
The name Valkenswaard stems from its history of falconers, who caught wild falcons there; valk is Dutch for "falcon". It lay on a route where falcons migrated south each year. In the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries, Valkenswaardian falconers were active at many European courts, in which falconing was a beloved pastime. Valkenswaard's falcon-catching area has now been built over and falcons are no longer caught there.
Dutch topographic map of the municipality of Valkenswaard, June 2015
Notable people born in Valkenswaard
- Pieter van Geel, politician
- Dominique van Hulst ("Do"), singer
- Jan Tops, equestrian
- Daniëlle van de Donk, footballer
- "Samenstelling college van B&W" [Members of the board of mayor and aldermen] (in Dutch). Gemeente Valkenswaard. Archived from the original on 14 July 2014. Retrieved 5 June 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 5554DA". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 5 June 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 27 October 2017. Retrieved 27 October 2017.
- Jos & Cor Swanenberg: Taal in stad en land: Oost-Brabants, ISBN 9012090105
|This North Brabant location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|