|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Anton Ederveen (CDA)|
|• Total||56.50 km2 (21.81 sq mi)|
|• Land||54.92 km2 (21.20 sq mi)|
|• Water||1.58 km2 (0.61 sq mi)|
|Elevation||25 m (82 ft)|
|• Density||568/km2 (1,470/sq mi)|
|Demonym||Valkenswaarder / Valkenswaardenaar|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Valkenswaard (Dutch pronunciation: [ˌvɑlkə(n)sˈʋaːrt] ⓘ) is a municipality and a town in the southern Netherlands, in the Metropoolregio Eindhoven of the province of North Brabant. The municipality had a population of 31,221 in 2021 and spans an area of 56.50 km2 (21.81 sq mi) of which 1.58 km2 (0.61 sq mi) is water.
The name Valkenswaard stems from its history of falconers, who caught wild falcons there; valk is Dutch for "falcon". It lay on a route where falcons migrated south each year. In the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries, Valkenswaardian falconers were active at many European courts, in which falconing was a beloved pastime. Valkenswaard's falcon-catching area has now been built over and falcons are no longer caught there.
Dutch topographic map of the municipality of Valkenswaard, June 2015
Notable people born in Valkenswaard
- Henk van den Breemen (born 1941) a retired Dutch military officer
- Pieter van Geel (born 1951) a retired Dutch politician
- Linda Williams (born 1955) a Dutch singer, participated in the 1981 Eurovision Song Contest
- Ine Gevers (born 1960) a Dutch curator of contemporary art, writer and activist
- Jeroen Mettes (1978-2006) a Dutch poet, essayist and blogger
- Dominique van Hulst (born 1981), singer, known by her stage name Do
- Jan Tops (born 1961) an equestrian, gold medallist at the 1992 Summer Olympics
- Jens van Son (born 1987) a Dutch professional footballer with over 250 club caps
- Lidewij Welten (born 1990) a Dutch field hockey player
- Daniëlle van de Donk (born 1991) a Dutch professional footballer
Pintenwipper standbeeld Martinusplein Dommelen
Winnaar 2008 - Buurtschap Hazestraat - Flying pirates on music
Valkenswaard Zuil van de Eendracht Erich Reischke
- "Samenstelling college van B&W" [Members of the board of mayor and aldermen] (in Dutch). Gemeente Valkenswaard. Archived from the original on 14 July 2014. Retrieved 5 June 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten 2020" [Key figures for neighbourhoods 2020]. StatLine (in Dutch). CBS. 24 July 2020. Retrieved 19 September 2020.
- "Postcodetool for 5554DA". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 5 June 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 1 January 2021. Retrieved 2 January 2022.
- Jos & Cor Swanenberg: Taal in stad en land: Oost-Brabants, ISBN 9012090105
- IMDb Database retrieved 20 November 2019