Vallam Kali (Malayalam: വള്ളംകളി, vaḷḷaṃ kaḷi, literally "boat game") is a traditional boat race in Kerala, India. It is a form of canoe racing, and uses paddled war canoes. It is mainly conducted during the season of the harvest festival Onam in autumn. Vallam Kali includes races of many kinds of paddled longboats, the traditional boats of Kerala.
The race of Chundan Vallam (snake boat) is the major event. Hence Vallam Kali is also known as the Snake Boat Race and is a major tourist attraction. Other types of boats which do participate in various events in the race are Churulan Vallam, Iruttukuthy Vallam, Odi Vallam, Veppu Vallam, Vadakkanody Vallam and Kochu Vallam. The Nehru Trophy Boat Race is a popular Vallam Kali event held in the Punnamada Lake near Alappuzha, Kerala, India.
In Kerala, during an early 14th-century war between the feudal kingdoms of Kayamkulam and Chembakassery, King Devanarayana of Chembakassery commissioned the construction of a war boat called Chundan Vallam and he tasked a famous carpenter of the day with the responsibility of creating it. Hence, the technical methods for creating these Snake Boats are around 650 years old. Of the snake boats still in use today, the Parthasarathi Chundan is the oldest model.
Vallam Kali has mainly been conducted during the season of the harvest festival Onam in Autumn. The race of Chundan Vallam is the major event. Vallam Kali also includes races of many other kinds of traditional paddled longboats of Kerala, and is one of the major tourist attractions in the state.
Vanchipattu (lit. boatsong) is the form of poetry in Malayalam language commonly using while Vallam Kali and related festivals. During Aranmula Uthrattadi Vallamkali, the vanchipattu is performed by the participants for its significance in the rituals. Ramapurathu Warrier is considered to be the pioneer of the vanchipattu.
List of periodical Vallam Kali events
- Nehru Trophy Boat Race in Punnamada Lake, Alappuzha
- Aranmula Uthrattadi Vallamkali at Aranmula, Pathanamthitta
- President's Trophy Boat Race in Ashtamudi lake, Kollam
- Kallada Boat Race in Kallada River, Kollam
- Pampa Boat Race in Neerattupuram
- Champakulam Moolam Boat Race
- Kumarakom Boat Race
- Payippad Jalotsavam
- Kannetty Sree Narayana Boat Race in Karunagappally, Kollam
- Thazhathangadi Boat Race, Kottayam
- Gothuruth Boat Race, in the Periyar, Ernakulam
- Piravom Boat Race in Piravom
- Thuruthippuram Boat Race, Thuruthipuram
- Paravur Jalothsavam & Boat Race in Paravur Thekkumbhagam, Kollam
- ATDC Boat Race, Alappuzha
- Rajiv Gandhi Trophy boat race, Pulinkunnu
- Neerettupuram Pampa Boat Race
- Karuvatta Boat Race
- Kavanattinkara Boat Race
- Kumarakom Arpookara Vanitha Jalamela, Kumarakom
- Mahatma Boat Race, Mannar, Alappuzha
- Kottapuram Boat Race, Kottapuram
- Kodungallur and Kumaranasan Smaraka Jalotsavam, Pallana
- Indira Gandhi Boat Race, in Kochi Lake
- Kaithappuzhakkayal Boat Race, in Kaithappuzha Lake, Ernakulam
- Biyyam Kaayal Boat Race, Ponnani
- Uthara malabar Boat Race, Thejaswini Lake, Kasaragod
- EK.Nayanar Trophy -Malabar jalolsavam, Mangalassery, Kuppam river, Kannur district
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vallam Kali.|