Valley Christian High School (Cerritos, California)
|Valley christian High School|
Equip & Inspire
|17700 Dumont Ave
Cerritos, California, Los Angeles County 90703
|School type||Private, Christian|
|NCES School ID||BB060123|
|Average class size||21 students|
|Campus type||small city|
|Color(s)||Maroon and Gold|
|Athletics conference||Olympic League|
|Accreditation||Western Association of Schools and Colleges|
|Annual tuition||11,640 (9-11)
|Affiliation||Christian Schools International (CSI)
Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI)
Valley Christian High School (VCHS) is a private Christian high school located in Cerritos, California. It is one of the largest in Los Angeles and Orange Counties. It was founded in 1935 and is part of the Valley Christian Schools, a preschool-12 school system with 5 campuses (2 preschool, elementary, middle and high school) enrolling more than 1200 students. In 2011, during its accreditation review, it again received the highest degree of commendation from the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Valley Christian Schools is a member of Christian Schools International (CSI) and the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI).
97% of VCHS graduates continue on to college. VCHS graduates who are accepted to University of California schools have the highest SAT scores of any Protestant, Catholic, or Lutheran high school in L.A. and Orange County.
Valley Christian offers 20 AP and Honors courses.
Valley Christian is current a member of the Olympic League of the CIF Southern Section. VCHS teams have won 200 league championships, 30 CIF state titles, (and another 3 state runners-up). In 2011 the soccer team was ranked by USA Today as the #1 team in America. Nearly 60% of students participate in school athletics. The Girls Volleyball has won a national championship.
- John Verhoeven (Class of 1971) - Former Major League Baseball pitcher and head baseball coach at Biola University
- Greg Laswell (Class of 1992) - musician
- Kirk Saarloos (Class of 2001) - Former Major League Baseball pitcher for the Houston Astros, Oakland A's, and Cincinnati Reds
- Arthur Chu (Class of 2002) - Class valedictorian, Jeopardy! contestant in from January 28, 2014 – March 12, 2014. Third-ranked Jeopardy champion of all time both in wins and money won.
- Beau Bennett (Class of 2009, transferred out) - National Hockey League forward for the Pittsburgh Penguins. Highest-drafted Californian born-and-trained player in NHL history, and first California born-and-trained player to become Stanley Cup Champion (2016). 
- Troy Van Leeuwen (Class of 1986) - Musician
- "About VCS". Valley Christian Schools. Retrieved on 2008-12-23 http://www.vcschools.org/page.cfm?p=4.
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). "Valley Christian High School". Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). Retrieved on 2008-12-23 www.ascwasc.org.
- http://usaother.ucop.edu/cgi-bin/awpe/results.pl[dead link]
- https://web.archive.org/web/20070313011736/http://www.vcschools.org/page.cfm?p=13. Archived from the original on March 13, 2007. Retrieved April 9, 2007. Missing or empty
- "VCHS Excels at Academics" (PDF). Valley Christian Schools. Retrieved 5 November 2014.