Valley High School (Winchester, Nevada)
|Valley High School|
|2839 Burnham Avenue
Las Vegas, NV, 89169
|School type||Public high school|
|Motto||Ensuring a better world through academic excellence and global vision|
|School district||Clark County School District|
|Colour(s)||Red, white, and blue
|Athletics conference||Sunrise 4A Region|
|Website||Valley High School|
Valley High School (VHS) is a public school located in Las Vegas, Nevada that also offers three widely recognized magnet programs: the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme and Middle Years Programme, the Academy of Hospitality and Tourism (AOHT), and the MSTEM Program that was introduced in 2016 in Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S.A, which is a part of the Clark County School District.
Valley High School opened in the fall of 1965.
Academy of Hospitality and Tourism
Valley High School is also home to the Academy of Hospitality and Tourism (AOHT) programm, the oldest in the state.
International Baccalaureate Program
Since September 1, 1979, Valley High School has been an authorized Middle Years Program and Diploma Program International Baccalaureate school. Valley High School is #140 on the International Baccalaureate list of schools around the globe.
Unlike the rest of the school, the International Baccalaureate Program at Valley High School has its own student governing body, named the Valley High School International Baccalaureate Council (VHSIBC or IBC). Ever since the authorization of Valley High School International Baccalaureate, the Valley High School International Baccalaureate Council aims to represent the students of the DP and MYP programs at Valley High School and in the greater community, extend the IB curriculum beyond the classroom, encourage and promote the advancement of the International Baccalaureate, cultivate and sponsor social and cultural events at the school, and to foster a positive impact with the community and with the students of the IB programs.
The IB Council is the responsible governing agency for the welfare of all International Baccalaureate students at Valley High School. The council operates on public meetings hosted weekly at the school, and is dictated by parliamentary procedures, CCSD regulations, Nevada Revised Statutes, International Baccalaureate Organization mandated regulations, and the IBC Official Constitution. The IB Council 2015-2016 is the first ever council to organize its structure based on its constitution, its democratic elections, and its administrative structure.
Valley High School's athletic program is known as the Vikings and competes in the Northeast Division of the Sunrise 4A Region. Valley has historically had a prominent baseball program, producing Major Leaguers Mike Morgan, Matt DeWitt, Doug Mirabelli, Tyler Houston and Greg Maddux.
Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association State Championships
This section does not cite any sources. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Baseball - 1970, 1981, 1983, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989
- Basketball (Boys) - 1980-1983, 1998
- Football - 1969, 1978
- Track and Field (Boys) - 2009
- Volleyball (Girls) - 1976, 1977
- Tennis (Boys) 1976
- Wrestling - 1973, 1974
Valley High School is home to various clubs, organizations, and activities. The school's diverse community allows students to create clubs, different organizations, and various activities that both open engagement and opportunity to all students across campus.
Valley Key Club
Key Club International is the largest and oldest service program for high school students. It is a student-led organization that teaches leadership through service to others.
The Valley Key Club was chartered in 1981. It is sponsored by the Las Vegas Kiwanis. Valley Key Club is part of Division 28 South Pandas and Region 5 Zombie Penguins.
Valley High School Band
- Shelley Berkley, congresswoman (D-NV)
- Matt DeWitt, baseball pitcher, currently unsigned
- Tyler Houston, former Major League Baseball infielder
- Greg Maddux, former Major League Baseball pitcher
- Doug Mirabelli, former Major League Baseball catcher
- Mike Morgan, former Major League Baseball pitcher
- Steve Rodriguez, former Major League Baseball infielder, and current head coach of the Pepperdine University baseball team
- Stevenson Sylvester, current NFL linebacker drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 5th round of the 2010 NFL draft (166th overall)
- Kerwynn Williams, current NFL running back
- "USA Men's Basketball: Who's In Your Five?" (English). The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-07-24.
- Burbank, Jeff (2008). Las Vegas Babylon: The True Tales of Glitter, Glamour, and Greed. M. Evans. p. 201. ISBN 9781461663089.
- Sun, Victoria (July 5, 2000). "Valley's DeWitt gets long-awaited 'Call'". Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- "Braves trade LV's Tyler Houston to Cubs". Las Vegas Sun. June 27, 1996. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- Rogers, Phil (July 27, 2014). "Maddux, Thomas worthy of Hall's inner circle". MLB.com. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- Guiremand, Steve (March 9, 1998). "Mirabelli hopes to catch on with San Francisco". Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- Klein, Gary (June 6, 1992). "Rodriguez Opens Eyes at Pepperdine : College World Series: Second baseman knows nothing about the school until recruited, then finds scenery to his liking". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- Brewer, Ray (January 26, 2011). "Valley High grad realizes Super Bowl dream with Steelers". Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- Brewer, Ray (April 27, 2013). "He's a Colt: Valley High grad Kerwynn Williams picked in 7th round by Indianapolis". Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved July 27, 2014.