Valley High School (Winchester, Nevada)
|Valley High School|
|2839 Burnham Avenue
Las Vegas, NV, 89169
|School type||Public high school|
|Motto||One school, one goal, student success|
|School district||Clark County School District|
|Vice principal||Traci Kannon
|School colour(s)||Red and white
|Athletics conference||Sunrise 4A Region|
|Website||Valley High School|
Valley High School (VHS) is a public school that also offers two widely recognized magnet programs: the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme and Middle Years Programme; and the Academy of Hospitality and Tourism (AOHT) in Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S.A, which is a part of the Clark County School District.
Valley High School opened in the fall of 1965.
Fight Song: Fight fight fight for the scarlet and white, and raise our banner to the sky. Fight fight fight until victory (is) in sight for dear old Valley High. Go go go we will conquer the foe. Every Viking true is here to do or die. Win win win root them on and root them in. Cheer for Valley, We're for Valley, Dear old Valley High.
International Baccalaureate Program
Since September 1, 1979, Valley High School has been an authorized Middle Years Program and Diploma Program International Baccalaureate school. Valley High School is #140 on the International Baccalaureate list of schools around the globe.
Since 2015, the program was under the coordination of IBDP Coordinator, Anthony Gebbia until his departure. Two new coordinators were appointed to be over the Middle Years Program and over the Diploma Program. Jim Snape runs the Middle Years Program, while Dr. Benjamin Feinstein, runs the Diploma Program at the school.
Unlike the rest of the school, the International Baccalaureate Program at Valley High School has its own student governing body, named the Valley High School International Baccalaureate Council (VHSIBC or IBC). Ever since the authorization of Valley High School International Baccalaureate, the Valley High School International Baccalaureate Council aims to represent the students of the DP and MYP programs at Valley High School and in the greater community, extend the IB curriculum beyond the classroom, encourage and promote the advancement of the International Baccalaureate, cultivate and sponsor social and cultural events at the school, and to foster a positive impact with the community and with the students of the IB programs.
The IB Council is the responsible governing agency for the welfare of all International Baccalaureate students at Valley High School. The council operates on public meetings hosted weekly at the school, and is dictated by parliamentary procedures, CCSD regulations, Nevada Revised Statutes, International Baccalaureate Organization mandated regulations, and the IBC Official Constitution. The IB Council 2015-2016 is the first ever council to organize its structure based on its constitution, its democratic elections, and its administrative structure.
The current President of the Valley High School International Baccalaureate Council is 2015-2016 VHSIBC President Karl Catarata.
Past Valley High School International Baccalaureate Council Presidents:
- Eric Herring, 2010-2011 VHSIB Council President
- Tia Chai, 2011-2013 VHSIB Council President (Elected twice into office)
- Ameyo Attila, 2013-2014 VHSIB Council President
- Read Masino, 2014-2015 VHSIB Council President
- Karl Catarata, 2015-2016 VHSIB Council President
Valley High School's athletic program is known as the Vikings and competes in the Northeast Division of the Sunrise 4A Region. Valley has historically had a prominent baseball program, producing Major Leaguers Mike Morgan, Matt DeWitt, Doug Mirabelli, Tyler Houston and Greg Maddux.
Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association State Championships
- Baseball - 1970, 1981, 1983, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989
- Basketball (Boys) - 1998
- Football - 1969, 1978
- Track and Field (Boys) - 2009
- Volleyball (Girls) - 1976, 1977
- Tennis (Boys) 1976
- Shelley Berkley, congresswoman (D-NV)
- Matt DeWitt, baseball pitcher, currently unsigned
- Tyler Houston, former Major League Baseball infielder
- Greg Maddux, former Major League Baseball pitcher
- Doug Mirabelli, former Major League Baseball catcher
- Mike Morgan, former Major League Baseball pitcher
- Steve Rodriguez, former Major League Baseball infielder, and current head coach of the Pepperdine University baseball team
- Stevenson Sylvester, current NFL linebacker drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 5th round of the 2010 NFL draft (166th overall)
- Kerwynn Williams, current NFL running back
- "USA Men's Basketball: Who's In Your Five?" (English). The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-07-24.
- Burbank, Jeff (2008). Las Vegas Babylon: The True Tales of Glitter, Glamour, and Greed. M. Evans. p. 201. ISBN 9781461663089.
- Sun, Victoria (July 5, 2000). "Valley’s DeWitt gets long-awaited ‘Call’". Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- "Braves trade LV’s Tyler Houston to Cubs". Las Vegas Sun. June 27, 1996. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- Rogers, Phil (July 27, 2014). "Maddux, Thomas worthy of Hall's inner circle". MLB.com. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- Guiremand, Steve (March 9, 1998). "Mirabelli hopes to catch on with San Francisco". Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- Klein, Gary (June 6, 1992). "Rodriguez Opens Eyes at Pepperdine : College World Series: Second baseman knows nothing about the school until recruited, then finds scenery to his liking". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- Brewer, Ray (January 26, 2011). "Valley High grad realizes Super Bowl dream with Steelers". Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- Brewer, Ray (April 27, 2013). "He’s a Colt: Valley High grad Kerwynn Williams picked in 7th round by Indianapolis". Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved July 27, 2014.