Valley of the Sasquatch
|Valley of the Sasquatch|
|Directed by||John Portanova|
|Written by||John Portanova|
|Music by||Jon Bash|
|Edited by||David Phillips|
Valley of the Sasquatch is a 2015 American horror film/monster movie written and directed by John Portanova. It stars Miles Joris-Peyrafitte, Jason Vail, David Saucedo, D'Angelo Midili, and Bill Oberst Jr. as a group of hunters who encounter a family of Sasquatches. It premiered in February 2015 at the Nevermore Film Festival.
After his wife dies, Roger forces his son Michael to go on a hunting trip in rural Washington with a family friend and Roger's brother-in-law. When they reach their cabin, they find it has been broken into and is a mess. Thinking nothing of it, Roger and the others enter the nearby woods, where they encounter a family of hostile Sasquatches.
- Miles Joris-Peyrafitte as Michael Crew
- Jason Vail as Roger Crew
- David Saucedo as Sergio Guerrero
- D'Angelo Midili as Will Marx
- Bill Oberst Jr. as Bauman
- Connor Conrad as the beast
Valley of the Sasquatch is Portanova's debut. Portanova, a Washington native and Bigfoot fan, included local stories from Washington in the screenplay. Shooting took place entirely on location, including at Snoqualmie Pass and Meany Lodge, over 23 days. The monster suit was designed by Doug Hudson.
Valley of the Sasquatch premiered on February 20, 2015, at the Nevermore Film Festival.
Ken W. Hanley of Fangoria rated it 2/4 stars and, though he praised Portanova's skill at directing and Hudson's special effects, wrote the writing is too generic. Mark L. Miller of Ain't It Cool News wrote the film fulfills all the criteria necessary for a good Bigfoot film: a new story, good action scenes, and a good costume. Ari Drew of Dread Central rated it 2.5/5 stars and wrote, "While Valley of the Sasquatch does not necessarily bring on the horror in a major or fresh way, it is at times a very effectively atmospheric film with some interesting ideas behind it." Michael Juvinall of Horror Society rated 4.5/5 stars and called it "the best this subgenre has to offer".
- Rahner, Mark (2015-05-12). "SIFF 2015: Director John Portanova's Sasquatch Massacre!". Seattle Weekly. Retrieved 2016-02-21.
- "Sasquatch coming to SIFF". KING-TV. 2015-05-22. Retrieved 2016-02-21.
- Kay, Tony (2015-05-22). "PNW Filmmaker Ventures into the 'Valley of the Sasquatch'". City Arts Online. Retrieved 2016-02-21.
- Klauss, Nicole (2015-05-13). "Movie filmed in Roslyn to debut". Daily Record. Retrieved 2016-02-21.
- "Valley of the Sasquatch". Nevermore Film Festival. Retrieved 2016-02-21.
- Hanley, Ken W. (2015-05-11). ""VALLEY OF THE SASQUATCH" (Film Review)". Fangoria. Retrieved 2016-02-21.
- Miller, Mark L. (2015-04-08). "VALLEY OF THE SASQUATCH (2015)". Ain't It Cool News. Retrieved 2016-02-21.
- Drew, Ari (2015-11-25). "Valley of the Sasquatch (2015)". Dread Central. Retrieved 2016-02-21.
- Juvinall, Michael (2015-05-15). "Valley of the Sasquatch (2015) Review". Horror Society. Retrieved 2016-02-21.