Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Harish Shankar|
|Produced by||Ram Achanta|
|Written by||Harish Shankar (dialogues)|
|Story by||Karthik Subbaraj|
|Music by||Mickey J. Meyer|
|Edited by||Chota K Prasad|
|Box office||₹42.5 crore (US$6.1 million)|
Gaddalakonda Ganesh is a 2019 Indian Telugu-language action thriller film directed by Harish Shankar and produced by Ram Achanta and Gopichand Achanta on 14 Reels Plus banner. A remake of the 2014 Tamil film Jigarthanda, the film features Varun Tej, Atharvaa, Pooja Hegde, and Mirnalini Ravi. This film marks the Telugu debut of Atharvaa and Mirnalini.. The movie was titled as Valmiki but after several controversies and a court case, the title was changed to Gaddalakonda Ganesh.
An assistant director named Abhilash (Atharvaa) says that he would make a good film within a year's time and goes in search of a villain. He wants to make a story of a real life villain. Gaddalakonda Ganesh (Varun Tej) is a gangster in the town of Gaddhalakonda. Abhi lands in Gaddhalakonda and starts learning about Ganesh. After initial trouble, Ganesh narrates his love story with Devi (Pooja Hegde) and his life to Abhi. He also agrees to allow the filmmaker to make a movie on his life, but he wants to essay his role on his own. Thus Seeti Maar film starring Ganesh begins. How this filmmaker achieves his goal forms the rest of the story.
- Varun Tej as Gaddalakonda Ganesh alias Gani
- Atharvaa as Abhilash alias Abhi
- Pooja Hegde as Sridevi alias Devi
- Mirnalini Ravi as Bujjamma
- Sathya as Abhilash's friend
- Supriya Pathak as Gaddalakonda Ganesh's mother
- Brahmaji as Muni Manikyam, an acting coach
- Tanikella Bharani
- Raja Ravindra
- Prabhas Sreenu
- Brahmanandam in a cameo appearance
- Nithiin as himself (guest appearance)
- Sukumar as himself (guest appearance)
- Dimple Hayathi as an item number in the song "Jarra Jarra"
The production on the film started from February 2019. Atharvaa joined on set for shooting in March 2019. Similarly involvement of Pooja Hegde was confirmed by the team in July. Mickey J. Meyer replaced Devi Sri Prasad as music director who was initially announced.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||5 September 2019|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Sony Music |
|Mickey J. Meyer chronology|
|1.||"Jarra Jarra"||Bhaskarbhatla Ravikumar||Anurag Kulkarni, Uma Neha||3:01|
|2.||"Gagana Veedhilo"||Vanamali||Anurag Kulkarni, Sweta Subramanian||3:15|
|3.||"Waka Waka"||Chandrabose||Anurag Kulkarni, Mickey J Meyer||3:27|
|4.||"Elluvachi Godaramma"||Veturi Sundarama Murthy||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, P. Susheela, Anurag Kulkarni|
Protests and release stalled
Valmiki being from Boya Community, many people from that community protested to change the name of the movie as they are showing the lead actor in negative role. When shooting for the film in Anantapur district of Andhra Pradesh , the Boya community attacked the film crew and shooting was cancelled.
In September 2019, Boya Hakkula Porata Samithi filed a petition in the Telangana High Court and Andhra Pradesh Valmiki Boya Sangam (APVBS) In AP High Court with PIL No:139/2019 by State General Secretary Kranthi Naidu Boya contending that the title hurt sentiments as the name of great saint as Valmiki was being used for a character that donning the role of a villain.
Marketing and release
In June 2019, 14 Reels Plus released pre teaser on social media platforms. On 15 August 2019 the team released teaser and started promoting with releasing singles from the album. The official trailer of the film was unveiled by 14 Reels Plus on 9 September 2019.
- "Gaddhalakonda Ganesh Final Total WW Collections". andhraboxoffice.com.
- "హరీష్ శంకర్ అర్జంట్ ప్రెస్ మీట్.. 'వాల్మీకి' బన్గయా 'గద్దలకొండ ప్రసాద్'." News 18. Retrieved 19 September 2019.
- "Varun Tej's new film Valmiki launched". Indian Express. Retrieved 13 August 2019.
- "Harish Shankar confirms the presence of Pooja Hegde in Varun Tej's 'Valmiki'". Times of India. Retrieved 13 August 2019.
- "Varun Tej's 'Valmiki' Movie Launch". Indiaglitz. Retrieved 13 August 2019.
- Chowdhary, Y. Sunita (18 September 2019). "Atharvaa makes his Telugu film debut with 'Valmiki'" – via www.thehindu.com.
- Chowdhary, Y. Sunita (11 September 2019). "Mirnalini Ravi to debut in Telugu cinema with 'Valmiki'" – via www.thehindu.com.
- "Valmiki Movie Review: Harish Shankar and Varun Tej make Gaddalakonda Ganesh their own". The Times of India. Retrieved 20 September 2019.
- "Varun Tej excited about Nithiin's cameo in 'Valmiki' - Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Director Sukumar to make a cameo in Varun Tej's Valmiki". The New Indian Express.
- "Gagana Veedhilo song from Valmiki will be released tomorrow - Times of India". The Times of India.
- "'Valmiki': The Varun Tej starrer goes on the floors". Times of India. Retrieved 13 August 2019.
- "Actor Atharvaa to make Tollywood debut in 'Valmiki'". The News Minute. Retrieved 13 August 2019.
- "Valmiki Movie Controversy: 'వాల్మీకి' చిత్రానికి తొలి దెబ్బ.. కలెక్టర్ ఆదేశాలతో నిలిపివేత" (in tel). Retrieved 20 September 2019.CS1 maint: unrecognized language (link)
- "Release of "Valmiki" stalled in Anantapur filmmakers". Retrieved 20 September 2019.
- "APVBS ANDHRA PRADESH VALMIKI BOYA SANGAM, Reg.No: 350/2017". github.io. Retrieved 21 September 2019.
- "Telangana high court issues notice to "Valmiki" filmmakers". Retrieved 20 September 2019.
- "Last minute changes to Valmiki; title changed to Gaddalakonda Ganesh". IB Times. Retrieved 20 September 2019.
- "14 Reels on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 13 August 2019.
- "Varun Tej's Valmiki Trailer - Varun Tej - Harish Shankar - Mickey J Meyer - 14 Reels Plus". YouTube. 14 Reels Plus. 9 September 2019.
- "14 Reels on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- "Valmiki confirms Sep 20 as release date". Telugu Cinema. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- "'గద్దలకొండ గణేష్' మూవీ రివ్యూ". Sakshi. Retrieved 20 September 2019.
- "'Gaddhalakonda Ganesh' review: Harish Shankar entertains with this masala-laden gangster drama". The Hindu. Retrieved 20 September 2019.