This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (May 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Headquarters||St. Petersburg, Florida, U.S.|
Valpak Direct Marketing Systems, Inc., commonly known as Valpak, is a North American direct marketing company owned by Platinum Equity. Valpak provides print, mobile and online advertising solutions and coupons. Annually, Valpak distributes some 20 billion coupons in more than 500 million envelopes and millions more through its mobile app and websites.
Terry Loebel, an unemployed autoworker, founded Valpak in 1968, using a $500 loan to start mailing coupons from his home to households in Clearwater, Florida. In 1972, Valpak established its first Franchise in Orlando, Florida and by 1982, expanded the business into Canada. A group of investors purchased Valpak from Terry Loebel in 1985.
In September 1991, Cox Target Media, Inc. purchased Valpak and by 1997, Valpak was mailing out 11 billion coupons a year. In 2015, Valpak opened a St. Petersburg headquarters with 50,000-square-foot space and had 310 employees. In January 2017, Platinum Equity acquired Valpak along with Savings.com from Cox Target Media, Inc.
Valpak prints, packages and ships its coupon envelopes from the Valpak Manufacturing Center, a $200-million, 500,000-square-foot print production facility in St. Petersburg, Florida. Print inserts in the envelope advertise businesses with coupons for dining, health and beauty, entertainment, automotive, home services and more.
In each of its mailing cycles, Valpak sells the outside of the envelope to select local and national advertisers, who use on-envelope advertising for promotions, marketing campaigns and sweepstakes. Previous advertisers include Food Network, HGTV, CBS and Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia.
Coupon mobile apps
Valpak launched its mobile coupon app for iPad and iPhone devices in October 2009. Soon after, Valpak launched Android and BlackBerry versions of the mobile app. Valpak integrates its mobile coupons into digital wallet apps Apple Passbook, Google Wallet, Windows Phone Wallet and Samsung Wallet. The Valpak mobile app is free to download and also features augmented reality technology.
Since 1994, Valpak.com has been a source for printable coupons, promo codes and coupon codes. The company also has a Canadian website, Valpak.ca.
- "Valpak Direct Marketing Systems, Inc. Company Information". Hoover's. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- Harrington, Jeff (31 July 2012). "Valpak pioneer Terry Loebel dies at 71". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 3 November 2013.
- Glover, Charles E. (1998). Journey Through Our Years: The Story of Cox Enterprises, Inc. Atlanta, Georgia, USA: LONGSTREET. pp. 197–199. ISBN 1-56352-570-4.
- Manning, Margie (January 3, 2017). "Valpak gets a new owner". Tampa Bay Business Journal. American City Business Journals. Retrieved March 19, 2019.
- Chmura, Chris. "ValPak ventures from direct mail to digital coupons". Fox 13. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- Dilworth, Dianna. "Valpak opens up mobile local couponing with iPhone application". Direct Marketing News. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- Johnson, Lauren. "Valpak sees 20,000 coupons added since Passbook integration". Mobile Commerce Daily. Retrieved 2 November 2013.
- Perez, Sarah. "Google Wallet Takes On Apple's Passbook With Support For Loyalty Cards, Coupons, Offers & More". TechCrunch. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- Edmonds, Rich. "Valpak for Windows Phone brings coupons to the Wallet". Windows Phone Central. Retrieved 2 November 2013.
- Tofel, Kevin C. "Samsung continues to usurp Android, adds 14 new Samsung Wallet partners". Gigaom. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- McCluskey, Molly. "Couponing for the Modern Age: Apps That Help You Save". Daily Finance. Retrieved 6 January 2014.
- Jackson, Christopher. "Valpak App offers Augmented Reality Coupons to Shoppers". Augmented Reality Trends. Retrieved 1 November 2013.