Location of Valsad district in Gujarat
|• Total||2,947.49 km2 (1,138.03 sq mi)|
|• Density||480/km2 (1,200/sq mi)|
|• Official||Gujarati, Hindi|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Sex ratio||922 Females per 1000 Males ♂/♀|
Valsad district is one of the 33 districts in the Western Indian state of Gujarat. It is bound by Navsari district to the north, Nashik district of Maharashtra state to the east, and Dadra and Nagar Haveli union territory and Palghar district of Maharashtra to the south. The Arabian Sea lies west of the district. The coastal Daman enclave of Daman and Diu union territory is bounded by Valsad district on the north, east, and south. The district's administrative capital is Valsad. The district's largest city is Vapi.
The district covers 3008 square kilometres and is divided into six talukas: Valsad, Vapi, Pardi, Umargam, Kaparada and Dharampur. The population was 1,705,678 in 2011, up from 1,410,553 in 2001. Valsad is well known for its production of mangoes, sapodilla, and teak, and for its chemical and industrial stretch based on Vapi and Atul.
On 1 June 1964, Valsad district was formed after Surat district was bifurcated into Valsad and Surat district. That time, Valsad, Dharampur, Pardi, Umbergaon, Navsari, Vansda, Chikhli and Gandevi were talukas of Valsad district.
On 2 October 1997, Navsari district was formed after Valsad district was bifurcated into Valsad and Navsari district. The taluka of Kaparada was separated from Dharampur on 15 October 1997. After newly formed Kaparada taluka - Valsad, Dharampur, Kaparada, Pardi, Umbergaon were talukas of Valsad district.
|Geography of Valsad District:|
|Average rainfall||2000 mm|
|Average temperature||26.9 °C|
|Seismic Zone||Zone III|
|Major rivers||Damanganga, Par, Auranga, Kolak, Taan and Maan|
|Hills||Parnera Hill, Wilson Hills|
|Beachs||Tithal Beach, Nargol Beach, Umbergaon Beach|
Total production of food crops in Valsad in 2006-07
was 3.6 lakhs MT.
Major horticulture crops that are produced in the district are mango, cucurbits, chikoo, banana and sugarcane. In 2006-07, Valsad had the highest production of mango in the State, accounting for 2,03,112 MT. The district was the 2nd highest producer of Cucurbits with a production of 47,960 MT during 2006-07.
Valsad is an industrial base for sectors such as chemicals, textiles, and paper & pulp industries. Since the 1980s, textile and chemicals have been the major sectors of investments and employment in the district. Valsad is emerging as a horticulture hub of the State, witnessing significant production in food grains and crops.
With over 300 medium and large scale industries, Vapi is a major industrial center in Valsad. One of Asia’s largest Common Effluent Treatment Plant (CETP) is present in Vapi, owned by Vapi Waste & Effluent Management Company and promoted by Vapi Industrial Association.
Over 10,716 units of small and medium enterprises (SMEs), involved in different sectors, such as chemicals, textiles, engineering, and paper industry, are present in the district. Several private conglomerates are present in Valsad, including Alok Industries Ltd., Wyeth, Welspun India Ltd. Hubergroup India Private Limited ( formerly Micro Inks Ltd. ), Meril Group of companies (Meril Life Sciences Pvt. Ltd., Meril Healthcare Pvt. Ltd., Meril Endo Surgery Pvt. Ltd. and Meril Diagnostics Pvt. Ltd.), Aarti Industries, Atul Limited, Gujarat Heavy Chemicals Ltd. (GHCL), Raymond, Sun Pharmaceuticals, United Phosphorus, Pidilite, Polyols & Polymers and Vadilal, Unique Polymers.
Chemical products such as diamino sulphone, acetic acids and esters, different types of dyes etc. Valsad Atul Limited, ANJARIA ENVIRO TECH PVT. LTD.,
Pharmaceutical products Valsad Wyeth Lederle Ltd.
Cotton yarns, madeups of cotton terry towel and fabrics Alok Industries Ltd., Welspun Polyesters
India Ltd., Semi processed & Instant foods, Tomato ketchup, canned and frozen foods Dharampur Vadilal Industries Ltd.
Electronic equipments for environmental and air pollution control, Phosphorus
Peentasulphide, Benzoate etc. Vapi United Phosphorus Ltd.
Pharmaceutical products, Vapi Sun Pharmaceuticals, SOHAM ACCOUNTING
Iron pipes, seamless pipes and stainless steels etc.Umbergaon Sarigam Steel Ltd.
Uncoated craft paper, newsprint and poster paper etc. Pardi Ruby Macons Limited.
synthetic resins, adhesives, colour pigments and lubricating chemicals etc. Vapi Pidilite Industries ltd.
Chemical products such as, chloroaniline, calcium phosphate, sulphuric acid,
Single super phosphate etc. Vapi Aarti Industries Ltd.
Weaving and processing of artificial and synthetic textile fibres etc. Pardi Raymond Ltd.
Printing inks, synthetic resins, prepared glues and adhesives etc. - Hubergroup India Private Limited - India's largest printing inks company.
Madeups of curtains and bed covers etc. Bhilad GHCL Ltd.
Manufacturing of Medical Devices, Diagnostics Reagents & Instruments, Sutures and Orthopedic Implants.
Small scale industries (SSI)
In 6 talukas of the district, there are 10,716 units generating 58,641 jobs, with investments to the tune of INR 84,912 lakh (USD 207 million).
Dye stuff & opticals, cotton textiles, chemicals and lathes & machine tools are the major small scale industry sectors
present in Valsad district. Pardi taluka houses maximum number of SSI units with a healthy investment of over INR 39,340 lakhs (USD 100 million), providing jobs to 25,776 people.
Valsad station was established in 1925. The city has a control tower for better railway operation. The basic training center for the Western Railway cadets of RPF (Railway Protection Force) is in Valsad. Valsad has one of the largest railway yards with a full repair loco shed for electric locomotives in Western Railway along with the basic repair workshop for wagons and coaches. Many trains originate from Valsad for Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Viramgam, Dahod, Kanpur, Jodhpur, Haridwar, Puri and Muzaffarpur.
- Simandhar Swami Jain Derasar, Bhilad
Simandhar Swami Jain Derasar, also known as Nandigram Derasar at Nandigram village near Bhilad in Valsad district. A function was organised on Vaisakh Sudh 6th on its foundation day, 10 May 1989. This temple is dedicated to Shri Simandhar Swami who is considered living tirthankar on another world in the Jain mythological universe. Jain saints and devotees over placing ‘dhwaja’ (flag) over temple. Jain devotees from all across the state and Maharashtra were present in huge numbers to celebrate the function under the blessings of Jain saint. Place the ‘dhwaja’ upon the temple. Members of Gogalia Parivar, who happens to be the trustee of the temple
- Shree Shirdi Saibaba Sansthapan, Tithal
- Shri Swaminarayan Mandir, Tithal
- Tadkeshwar Mahadev Temple, Valsad
- Parnera Hill
Parnera Hill is located in Parnera town of Valsad district. It is well known for Shree Maha Kali Mata Temple, Shree Chandika Mata Temple, Shree Swayambhu Mahadev Temple, Chand Pir Baba Dargah, Stepwells, Old Fort of Chhatrapati Shivaji.
- Callian Baug
Callian Baug is one of the ancient place of Valsad city. In 1929, Mr. Motilal Callianji presented donation for park to Bulsar Municipality in memory of his father. In 1931, Callian Baug was opened by J.H.Garrett.
- Tithal Beach
Tithal Beach is located near Tithal town of Valsad district. The sand of beach is Black sand. Tithal beach is one of the popular tourist attraction of Valsad district and Gujarat. Tithal Beach Festival and International Kite Festival are also organized on the shore of the beach.
- Wilson Hill
Wilson Hill is located near Dharampur Tehsil of Valsad district. Wilson Hill was named in memory of Lord Wilson, the Governor of Mumbai from 1923 to 1928, by Vijay Devji, the last King of Dharampur. A monument to their memory remains on the peak.
- Lady Wilson Museum, Dharampur
- District Science Centre, Dharampur
- Udvada Atash Behram
- Sanjan Stambh
- Nargol Beach
- Umbergaon Beach
People from Valsad
- Dayaram - Gujarati poet
- Morarji Desai - Former Prime Minister of India.
- Nirupa Roy - Actress.
- Bhulabhai Desai - Freedom fighter and acclaimed lawyer.
- Dr. Amul Desai - Freedom fighter, Socialist, acclaimed physician, social worker and political leader.
- Freddie Mercury - Singer, Songwriter and Producer, best known as the lead vocalist and lyricist of the rock band Queen.
- Nanubhai Vakil - Film director
- Bindu Desai - Actress
- Sheela Sharma - Actress
- Dadabhoy Havewala - Former indian cricketer, who played first-class cricket from 1934 to 1941.
- Hemin Desai - Indian-born cricketer, who has represented Oman at the List A Level.
- Pooja Jhaveri - Actress, in Telugu, Kannada and Tamil films
The Government Polytechnic, established in 1965, is one of the prominent institutions in Valsad.
The district also has a Government Engineering College since 2004. In the last few years, a Computer Application stream has also been started successfully.A prime medical college GMERS Medical college with an 800 bed hospital is also set up in the Valsad City.
There are so many GSHSE, ICSE, CBSE based different schools in Valsad distirct..
- "General Information for Valsad, Tourist Place in Valsad, Tourism in Valsad". Indiaonapage.com. 2010-01-23. Retrieved 2010-09-14.
- Valsad District Population- Census 2011
- "Valsad District Population, Caste, Religion Data (Gujarat) - Census 2011". Census India.
- "Valsad District Panchayat | About District | History". Valsaddp.gujarat.gov.in. 2009-04-25. Retrieved 2010-09-14.
- Valsad District Creation
- Kaparada Taluka Creation, Valsad
- Chief Minister Narendra Modi announced creation of 23 new talukas on the auspicious occasion of Ganesh Chaturthi- 09-09-2013
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
Gambia, The 1,797,860 July 2011 est.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- Valsad Tourism
- About- Lady Wilson Museum, Dharampur (Dist. Valsad)
- About: DISTRICT SCIENCE CENTER, DHARAMPUR
- Nargol Beach, Valsad, Gujarat Tourism
- Valsad Tourism- Umbergaon Beach
- "IndiaStudyChannel.com". IndiaStudyChannel.com. Retrieved 2010-09-14.
- "Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Institute of Technology, Valsad | College in Valsad | Detail Information on Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Institute of Technology | B.E/B.Tech, MCA, Other College | Contact Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Institute of Technology". Vyoms.com. Retrieved 2010-09-14.
- "CHE | Colleges | Types ofColleges | Grand Aid Colleges | Valsad District". Gujarateducation.gswan.gov.in. 2010-08-20. Retrieved 2010-09-14.
- "S.K.M. Law College, Tithal Road, Valsad | College in Valsad | Detail Information on S.K.M. Law College, Tithal Road | Other College | Contact S.K.M. Law College, Tithal Road". Vyoms.com. Retrieved 2010-09-14.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Valsad district.|