This article or section appears to be slanted towards recent events. (March 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Josep Miquel Arenas Beltrán
18 December 1993
|Years active||2009 -|
|Conviction(s)||Convicted of incitement of terrorism, death threats, insults and lèse-majesté.|
Josep Miquel Arenas Beltrán (born 18 December 1993), popularly known as Valtònyc, is a Spanish rapper, originally from Mallorca, Spain. His lyrics are based on a communist, anti-capitalist Republican and anti-fascist ideology.
In February 2018, the Spanish Supreme Court confirmed his sentence by the Audiencia Nacional of three and a half years in jail after being convicted of slander, Lèse-majesté, and glorifying terrorism in his lyrics. Court papers referenced lyrics "supporting and praising" ETA, GRAPO, wishing death on politicians and members of the Spanish Royal Family.
On 5 July, he reported to the police in the Belgian city of Ghent, following a European Arrest Warrant issued by the Spanish authorities to have him extradited to Spain. He was heard by an examining judge of the tribunal of first instance of Ghent, who decided there was no reason to assume he would try to flee from Belgium.
Valtònyc was released under conditions later that day. The spokesperson of the prosecutor's office of Ghent stated additional documents have been requested from the Spanish authorities. When those would be made available, the court's raadkamer (counsel chamber) was to decide whether Valtònyc would be extradited. The court of Ghent had previously refused to extradite some Spanish fugitives in its history, such as María Natividad Jauregui Espina, who was accused by the Spanish authorities of having been involved in ETA terrorist attacks in 1981.
- El Reincident (2018)
- Neversleep (2016)
- La autodestrucción y sus ventajas (auto edited, 2015)
- Simbiosi (auto edited, 2015)
- Eutanàsia (auto edited, 2014)
- Microglicerina (auto edited, 2013)
- Aina i altres ansietats (auto edited, 2013)
- Cadenes (auto edited, 2012)
- Rap rural (amb Swing) (2012)
- Mallorca és ca nostra (auto edited, 2012)
- Residus d'un poeta (auto edited, 2012)
- Jazz amb llàgrimes de rom (auto edited, 2011)
- Misantropia (auto edited, 2010)
- Desde el papel (auto edited, 2009)
- El Festigal 2018 anuncia al rapero Valtonyc para reivindicar la libertad de expresión published 27 March 2018, retrieved 24 May 2018 by europapress.es(in Spanish)
- Valtonyc defiende que no hay ningún tipo de “violencia” en sus canciones Published 24 February 2017, retrieved 24 May 2018 by Público(in Spanish)
- "Sentencia 79/2018 de Tribunal Supremo" (in Spanish). Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- "Rapper Sentenced to 3 Years in Jail for Rap about King of Spain". telesurtv.net. Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- "El rapero Valtonyc irá a la cárcel" (in Spanish). Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- "La PDLI, sobre la condena al rapero Valtonyc: inaudito e impropio de una democracia". 20 February 2018.
- Valtonyc fuig a Europa per no haver d'entrar a la presó (in Catalan), retrieved 23 May 2018
- "Spaanse rapper Valtònyc wordt voorlopig niet overgeleverd" [Spanish rapper Valtònyc will not be extradited for now]. De Standaard (in Dutch). 5 July 2018. Retrieved 6 July 2018.