|Born||17 October 1919|
|Died||30 March 1985 (aged 65)|
|Alma mater||Stockholm University|
|Awards||Patron's Medal (1981)|
Vega Medal (1981)
Schytt was born at Solna in Stockholm, Sweden. He studied physics and mathematics at Stockholm University and was awarded Master of Philosophy in 1946, Licentiate in 1947 and Ph. D in 1958. He became a lector in geography at Stockholm University in 1943, glaciologist with the Swedish Antarctic Committee in 1948, research associate at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois in 1953 and assistant teacher in geography at Stockholm University in 1955. He became associated with the Swedish Research Council (Naturvetenskapliga forskningsrådet) in 1963, an assistant professor in 1969 and was a professor from 1970. In 1974 he was elected into the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences. 
He participated in the Norwegian-British-Swedish Antarctic Expedition polar expedition to the Antarctic 1949–52. He also participated in important expeditions to Canada in 1954, to Greenland in 1954, to Spitsbergen in 1956, 1957, 1958 and Deception Island in 1977. Schytt is mainly associated with the Ymer-80 expedition carried out by the icebreaker Ymer during the summer of 1980. 
For his outstanding work on the Ymer-80 Expedition, Valter Schytt was awarded the Vega Medal, the highest award of the Swedish Society for Anthropology and Geography, in 1981. Also in 1981, Valter was awarded the Patron's Medal from the Royal Geographical Society.
- "Valter Schytt (1919-1985)". Göteborgs universitet. Retrieved April 1, 2019.
- Blake Jr, Weston. "Valter Schytt (1919- 1985)" (PDF). Arctic Institute of North America. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- Per Holmlund. "S Valter Schytt". Svenskt biografiskt lexikon. Retrieved April 1, 2019.
- University of Cambridge. "Norwegian-British-Swedish Antarctic Expedition, 1949-1952". Scott Polar Research Institute. Retrieved April 1, 2019.
- Schytt, Valter (1983). "YMER-80: A Swedish Expedition to the Arctic Ocean". The Geographical Journal. 149 (1): 22–28. doi:10.2307/633339. JSTOR 633339.
- "Recipients 1970 - 2016" (PDF). Royal Geographical Society. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- Valter Schytt , Kurt Boström & Christian Hjort (1981) Geoscience during the Ymer-80 expedition to the Arctic (Geologiska Föreningen i Stockholm Förhandlingar. Volume 103, Issue 1)
|This article about a Swedish scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about a geographer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|