A value menu (not to be confused with a value meal) is a group of menu items at a fast food restaurant that are designed to be the least expensive items available. In the US, the items are usually priced between $0.99 and $1.49. The portion size, and number of items included with the food, are typically related to the price.
Arby's announced the launch of their value menu on April 9, 2010. Items on the value menu vary based on location, but typically include small or value size roast beef sandwiches, curly fries, milkshakes, chicken sandwiches, ham and cheddar sandwiches, and turnovers.
Burger King added a value menu in 1998 with items priced at 99¢ (USD). In 2002 and 2006, BK revamped its value menu, adding and removing products at 99¢, and later increasing some prices to $1.39. Many of these items have since been discontinued, modified or relegated to a regional menu option.
In 1988, Taco Bell lowered the prices of all new items and launched the first three-tiered pricing strategy and free drink refills. In 2010, Taco Bell introduced the $2 Meal Deals menu, featuring a menu item (i.e., a chicken burrito, a beefy 5-layer burrito, a double decker taco, or a Gordita supreme), a bag of Doritos, and a medium drink. In August 18, 2014, Taco Bell launched a new value menu called Dollar Cravings that included eleven food items each priced a $1.
- Arby's (April 9, 2010). "ARBY'S LAUNCHES NATIONAL VALUE MENU STARTING AT $1" (PDF) (Press release). Retrieved 2011-04-13.
- arbys.com. "New Arbys's Value Menu". arbys.com. Retrieved 2011-04-13.
- Burger King (March 16, 1998). "Burger King Debuts New 99¢ 'Great Tastes' Menu" (Press release). PR Newswire. Retrieved 2010-04-04.
- "Burger King promotes new menu". South Florida Business Journal. August 12, 2002. Retrieved 2007-10-09.
- Burger King (February 28, 2006). "Burger King Introduces Value Menu" (Press release). Media Post. Retrieved 2010-04-04.
- BKC publication (July 2007). "US Regional Menu Nutritional Brochure" (PDF). Burger King Holdings. Retrieved 2007-10-24.
- Richard Martin (January 7, 1991). "McDonald's kicks off value menu blitz". Nation's Restaurant News. Retrieved 2010-04-04.
- "McDonald's Continues Dollar Menu Brand Campaign With Bilingual Spots[...]" (Press release). Business Wire. June 12, 2002. Retrieved 2010-04-04.
- "McDonald's Spices Up Dollar Menu Price Attack.". Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News. November 27, 2002. Retrieved 2010-04-04.
- "Our Company: History". tacobell.com. Retrieved 2007-02-05.
- "Taco Bell - $2 Meal Deals". tacobell.com. Retrieved 2011-12-05.
- Brad Tuttle (18 August 2014). "Taco Bell Breathes New Life Into Fast-Food Dollar Menus - Money.com". Time (magazine). Retrieved 2014-08-25.
- Leslie Patton (15 August 2014). "Taco Bell to Introduce Dollar Menu Nationwide - Bloomberg". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2014-08-25.
- Ashley Lutz (15 August 2014). "Taco Bell Dollar Menu New - Business Insider". Business Insider. Retrieved 2014-08-25.
- wendys.com (February 5, 2007). "About Us: The Wendy's Story". wendys.com. Retrieved 2007-02-05.
- Stuart Elliot (February 6, 2006). "Wendy's Returns 99¢ to Its Place on the Price Pedestal". nytimes.com. Retrieved 2007-02-05.
- York, Emily Bryson (April 7, 2008). "Value menu battleground". Crain's Chicago Business (Crain Communication, Inc.).