Her first book of poetry, I'm as Thin as Your Eyelashes, came out in Belarus in 2005. In 2004 in Slovenia she received a Crystal Vilencia Award for best poetry performance. She was the recipient, in 2005, of a Gaude Polonia scholarship in Poland, and, in 2006, of a writing fellowship from Literarisches Colloquium Berlin, Germany.
Her first American publication, Factory of Tears (Copper Canyon Press, 2008), the first Belarusian/English poetry book published in the U.S., was co-translated from the Belarusian by Elizabeth Oehlkers Wright and Pulitzer Prize-winning poet Franz Wright. The poems juxtapose youthful coming-of-age to the struggles of a nation’s emergent vitality. Collected Body (Copper Canyon Press, 2011) is her most recent book of poetry and her first collection of poems composed entirely in English.
Mort studied at the State University of Linguistics in Minsk. She received her Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing from American University. Known throughout Europe for her live performances, Mort works explicitly to reestablish a clear identity for Belarus and its language. Mort is the youngest poet to be featured on the cover of Poetry & Writers magazine.
- I’m as Thin as Your Eyelashes, (2005)
- Favourites for accordion, Translator Franz Wright, 2006
- Factory of Tears, Copper Canyon Press, 2008, ISBN 978-1-55659-274-4
- Collected Body, Copper Canyon Press, 2011, ISBN 978-1-55659-372-7
- Kwame Dawes, Colin Channer, eds. (2010). "Crossword". So Much Things to Say: 100 Poets from the First Ten Years of the Calabash International Literary Festival. Akashic Books. ISBN 978-1-936070-07-7.CS1 maint: uses editors parameter (link)
- Ilya Kaminsky, Susan Harris (eds), The Ecco Anthology of International Poetry, HarperCollins, 2009, ISBN 978-0-06-158324-7
- Norman Minnick (ed), "Between Water and Song: New Poets for the Twenty-first Century", White Pine Press, 2010, ISBN 978-1935210078
- "Valzhyna Mort", Poetry Foundation.
- Collected Body page, Copper Canyon Press.
- New Yorker, May 19, 2008.
- Kevin Nance (2008). "You Cannot Tell This to Anybody". Poetry & Writers May/June 2008
- Belarus | Valzhyna Mort, Poetry International Rotterdam, 1 May 2009.