Van Buren Township, Brown County, Indiana
|Van Buren Township|
Location of Van Buren Township in Brown County
|• Type||Indiana township|
|• Total||87.33 sq mi (226.2 km2)|
|• Land||87.2 sq mi (226 km2)|
|• Water||0.13 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||692 ft (211 m)|
|• Density||23/sq mi (9/km2)|
|GNIS feature ID||453942|
Van Buren Township is one of four townships in Brown County, Indiana. As of the 2010 census, its population was 2,008 and it contained 941 housing units. The township includes the southern portion of Brown County State Park.
In 1892, a church later known as Grandview Apostolic Church was built along Grandview Ridge Road, on the eastern edge of Van Buren Township. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991, but after it was arsoned on July 14, 2010, it was removed from the Register.
The Thomas A. Hendricks House and Stone Head Road Marker at Stone Head was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 87.33 square miles (226.2 km2), of which 87.2 square miles (226 km2) (or 99.85%) is land and 0.13 square miles (0.34 km2) (or 0.15%) is water. Black Oak Pond, Meyer Pond and Treaty Line Pond are in this township.
- Becks Grove
- Lake on the Green
- Pikes Peak
- Spurgeons Corner
- Stone Head
(This list is based on USGS data and may include former settlements.)
- Washington (northwest)
- Harrison Township, Bartholomew County (northeast)
- Jackson Township, Bartholomew County (east)
- Ohio Township, Bartholomew County (east)
- Pershing Township, Jackson County (southeast)
- Salt Creek Township, Jackson County (southwest)
The township contains eight cemeteries: Beck, Cain, Elkinsville, McKinney, Moffitt, Phillips, Reeves and Spiker.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- Blanchard, Charles (1884). Counties of Morgan, Monroe and Brown, Indiana: Historical and Biographical. F.A. Battey & Company. p. 747.
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "nris" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- DeLorme. Indiana Atlas & Gazetteer. 3rd ed. Yarmouth: DeLorme, 2004, 51. ISBN 0-89933-319-2.
- Arson suspected in Grandview Church fire UPDATED, Brown County Democrat, 2010-07-14. Accessed 2010-10-09.
- Weekly List of Actions Taken on Properties: 9/27/10 Through 10/01/10, National Park Service, 2010-10-08. Accessed 2010-10-09.