Van Buren Township, St. Louis County, Minnesota
|Van Buren Township, Minnesota|
|• Total||35.6 sq mi (92.2 km2)|
|• Land||35.3 sq mi (91.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.8 km2)|
|Elevation||1,257 ft (383 m)|
|• Density||5.3/sq mi (2.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0665851|
Van Buren Township is a township in Saint Louis County, Minnesota, United States. It was named for Martin Van Buren, the eighth President of the United States. The population was 189 at the 2010 census.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 35.6 square miles (92 km2); 35.3 square miles (91 km2) is land and 0.3 square miles (0.78 km2), or 0.87%, is water.
The Saint Louis River flows through the southern and east–central portions of Van Buren Township.
The Whiteface River briefly enters the east–central part of the township.
The Floodwood River flows through the western portion of Van Buren Township.
Adjacent townships, cities, and communities
The following are adjacent to Van Buren Township :
- The city of Floodwood (south-southwest)
- Floodwood Township (south)
- Arrowhead Township (southeast)
- Ness Township (east)
- Meadowlands Township (northeast)
- The city of Meadowlands (northeast)
- Elmer Township (north)
- Cedar Valley Township (northwest)
- Potshot Lake Unorganized Territory (west)
- Halden Township (southwest)
As of the census of 2000, there were 175 people, 66 households, and 48 families residing in the township. The population density was 5.0 people per square mile (1.9/km²). There were 89 housing units at an average density of 2.5/sq mi (1.0/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 98.86% White, 0.57% Native American and 0.57% Asian.
There were 66 households out of which 33.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 69.7% were married couples living together, and 25.8% were non-families. 21.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.65 and the average family size was 3.08.
In the township the population was spread out with 25.7% under the age of 18, 6.9% from 18 to 24, 26.9% from 25 to 44, 28.0% from 45 to 64, and 12.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 127.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 120.3 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $33,250, and the median income for a family was $39,063. Males had a median income of $36,250 versus $36,875 for females. The per capita income for the township was $16,509. About 11.1% of families and 16.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.5% of those under the age of eighteen and 46.7% of those sixty five or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Upham, Warren (1920). Minnesota Geographic Names: Their Origin and Historic Significance. Minnesota Historical Society. p. 491.
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Van Buren township, St. Louis County, Minnesota". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved October 26, 2011.