|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Founder||Taeck Obbema Heemstra|
Van Heemstra is a family that belongs to the Dutch nobility.
The family is of Frisian origin. The genealogy of the family begins with Taecke Obbema Heemstra, mentioned as a voting representative (nobleman) in Oostergo in 1492. After the founding of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in November 1813, the Frisian nobility was integrated. In 1814 the Van Heemstra family was recognized as belonging to Dutch nobility with the title of baron.
- Schelto van Heemstra (1804–1864), Dutch politician
- Aarnoud van Heemstra (1871–1957), Dutch lawyer and politician
- Ella van Heemstra (1900–1984), Dutch socialite and mother of Audrey Hepburn
- Audrey Hepburn (4 May 1929 – 20 January 1993), Belgian born British actress, humanitarian and presenter
Coat of arms
The coat of arms of the family is in blue a golden eagle.
- T. Voerman, Van Heemstra, genealogische aantekeningen betreffende het geslacht van Heemstra tot het eind der 19e eeuw, Amsterdam, 1989. (Dutch)
- Nederlands Adelsboek, jaargang 84, The Hague, 1994. (Dutch)
|This Netherlands-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|