Van Mildert Professor of Divinity
The Van Mildert Professor of Divinity is one of the oldest chairs at Durham University. The chair is named in honour of Bishop William Van Mildert, one of the founders of the University. The holder of the Van Mildert chair, which is jointly funded by the University and Durham Cathedral, is also a residentiary canon at the cathedral and member of its Chapter, thus one of the requirements of post holder is to be an Anglican priest or a minister in another church in communion with Church of England.
The current Van Mildert Professor of Divinity is Simon Oliver, who took up the appointment in 2015.
List of Van Mildert professors
- The Rev Canon Professor D. Dawson-Walker (1919 – 1934); former Principal of St John's College, Durham
- The Rev Canon Professor Michael Ramsey (1940 – 1950), later Archbishop of Canterbury 
- The Rev Canon Professor Stanley Lawrence Greenslade (1950 – 1958) 
- The Rev Canon Professor Henry Ernest William 'Hugh' Turner (1958 – 73)
- The Rt Rev Professor Stephen Sykes (1974 – 1985) 
- The Rev Canon Professor Daniel W. Hardy (1986 – 1990)
- The Rev Canon Professor David Brown FBA (1990 – 2007) 
- The Rev Canon Mark McIntosh (2009 – 2014)
- The Rev Canon Professor Simon Oliver (2015 – present)
- Widdess, J. G. "A Durham Evangelical Scholar" (pdf). Churchman. Church Society. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- British Academy | The Fellowship - Fellows Archive
- About the Rt Revd Stephen Sykes
- Department of Theology and Religion : Staff - Durham University
- Durham Cathedral - News
- "Two new Canon Professors appointed". Department of Theology and Religion. Durham University. 12 February 2015. Retrieved 15 November 2015.