Van Nuys Branch
Van Nuys Branch Library
("old"—1926 & "new"—1964)
"Old" Van Nuys Branch Library
|Location||14555 Sylvan, Van Nuys, Los Angeles, California.|
|Architect||Allison & Allison|
|Architectural style||Mission-Spanish Colonial Revival (1926)
Mid-century modern (1964)
|MPS||Los Angeles Branch Library System TR|
|NRHP Reference #|||
|Added to NRHP||May 19, 1987|
|Designated LAHCM||February 13, 2008|
"Old" Van Nuys Branch of 1926
The original or "Old" Van Nuys Branch library was built in 1926 based on a Spanish Colonial Revival style design by architects Allen & Allen. In 37 years of operation, the circulation grew from 27,000 to more than 350,000 volumes annually. The old branch was closed in 1964, and replaced with a new branch in the Van Nuys Civic Center on the other side of Van Nuys Boulevard.
- National Register of Historic Places
In 1987, the "Old" Van Nuys Branch and several other branch libraries in Los Angeles were added to the National Register of Historic Places as part of a thematic group submission. The application noted that the branch libraries had been constructed in a variety of period revival styles to house the initial branch library system of the City of Los Angeles.
"New" Van Nuys Branch of 1964
The "New" Van Nuys Branch library opened in 1964 in the then new Van Nuys Civic Center. The Mid-century modern style one-story masonry building extends out into the landscape with a modernist colonnade, and is shaded by groves of trees.
The building was also headquarters for the Los Angeles Public Library's bookmobile service. It was temporarily closed and surrounded by a chain-link fence in 2005, and in 2007 the city announced plans to auction off the building. Instead it was renovated to reopen as the branch library again.
The restored and updated "New" Van Nuys branch library is again the Los Angeles Public Library branch for Van Nuys, in the expanded Government Center complex of public buildings that replaced the former Van Nuys Civic Center.
- List of Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments in the San Fernando Valley
- Los Angeles Public Library — listing of branches.
- List of Registered Historic Places in Los Angeles
- National Park Service (2008-04-15). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "LAPL: History of the Van Nuys Branch". 2014-02-14.
- The Los Angeles Branch Library System TR Multiple Property Submission nomination explains 22 branch libraries, but one, the University Branch, appears not to have been listed.
- Kerry Cavanaugh (2007-08-15). "Original 1926 Van Nuys library for sale". Daily News (Los Angeles).
- LAPL: Van Nuys Branch (reopened) . accessed 2.14.2014