|Nickname(s): Entrance of Chennai City|
|Elevation||50 m (160 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Civic agency||Chennai Corporation|
Vandalur is a census town and residential locality in Southern part of the metropolitan city of Chennai in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. it is a neighbourhood in the southwestern part of Chennai city. Vandalur is called "Entrance Gateway of Beautiful Chennai city". It has the Arignar Anna Zoological Park, which houses some rare species of wild flora and fauna. The neighbourhood is served by Vandalur railway station of the Chennai Suburban Railway network.Soon the proposed mono and metro rail.
As per 2011 census, Vandalur had total population of 16,852. Males constitute 49.9% of the population and females 50%. Vandalur has an average literacy rate of 79%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 85%, and female literacy is 72%. In Vandalur, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Vandalur forms the junction of the Vandalur-Kelambakkam Road, Connecting the Grand Southern Trunk Road (GST) with Old Mamallapuram Road (OMR). The Outer Ring Road (Vandalur - Minjur) is a major transport corridor being developed along the periphery of Chennai Metropolitan Area by the CMDA. The Vandalur Flyover to be inaugurated in January 2012 will connect the east and west side of the Vandalur railway station. It will have a bowstring design similar to that of Rangarajapuram flyover. A satellite commercial corridor is likely to be developed along the Outer Ring Road (ORR) 
65-acre terminus for south-bound buses at Vandalur: The Chennai Mofussil Bus Terminus in Koyambedu, when opened in 2002, was touted as the largest in Asia. Now, the Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority has identified land for a new terminus in Vandalur, that will be more than twice the size of the CMBT, to handle south-bound long-distance buses and ease the pressure on the Koyambedu facility.
|Destination (From Vandalur)||Distance(km)||Time(Minutes)|
The nearest train station is Vandalur Railway Station on the Chennai Suburban Railway line. The proposed Chennai monorail project envisages two lines from Vadalur - Vandalur to Puzhal and Vandalur to Velachery.
Arignar Anna Zoological Park
Arignar Anna Zoological Park located here also known as Vandalur Zoo. The Park was the first public zoo in India. Vandalur Zoo is originally created in 1855 near Park Town, Chennai City. Later in 1875, this zoo had expanded and moved out of the city. In 1979, the Tamil Nadu Forest department moved this zoo to Vandalur reserve forest covering an area of 1300 acres. This zoo was inaugurated in year 1985 and it's one of the largest in South Asia. There are totally 81 enclosures. More than 170 species of mammals, aviaries and reptiles are exhibited in the zoo.
Vandalur hill is part of Arignar Anna Zoological Park and public entry to the hill is restricted. The hilltop provides a beautiful view of Bay of Bengal. Tamil Nadu Forest department has a sapling center under the foothill of Vandalur hill.
Some of the housing projects are Vijayshanthi Boulevard, VijayShanthi Fortune Square
Educational Institutions in Vandalur
- Crescent School
- TS Baliah Matriculation School
- Shri Natesan Vidyasala Matriculation Hr Sec School near Mudichur
- Sri Viswa Vidyalaya Matriculation Hr Sec School
- Annai Velankanni Matriculation School
- St. John's Nursery and Primary School
- Shalom Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Government High School
- SSM Montessori School
- B. S. Abdur Rahman University (formerly Crescent Engineering College)
- Sri Ramanujar Engineering College
- Tagore Engineering College
- Sri Krishna Engineering College
- Tamilnadu Physical Education and Sports University
- VIT Chennai Campus
- Sri Balaji Polytechnic College
- GKM College of Engineering and Technology
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Design and Manufacturing (IIITDM)
- Chennai School of Ship Management
- Delhi Public School
- Little Kids PreSchool
- PERI Institute Of Technology
Places of worship
- Lakshmi Kuberar Temple,Rathinamangalam Village, Vandalur
- Sri Agatheeswarar Temple, Kollapakkam, Vandalur - Navagraha Sthalam
- Arulmigu Sri Navanithi Selva Ganapathy Temple, [Vishnu Durgai, Murugan (Valli, Devasena), Rama Baktha Anjaneyar, Navagraham, Neem and Arasa Maram growing together by nature], Kollappakkam,
- Arai Kaasu Amman Temple
- Sri Mutharamman Temple, Kuttikulasai, Vandalur
- Iraniamman Kovil,vandalur
- Padappai Church
- Mookambigai Amman Koil, Vandalur Singarathottam
- Kaligambal temple, Singarathottam, Vandalur
- Sri Chelli Amman Temple, Kolapakkam
- CSI Church, Vandalur
- Manneswarar Temple- Mannivakkam
- Christ Church, Davidnagar, Padappai (Belonging to the Davidnagar family trust) Currently CSI form of worship
This flyover will replace the level crossing near Vandalur railway station. The Rs. 27-crore flyover on the Vandalur-Walajabad Road was inaugurated recently. The 1.48-km-long flyover will replace a level crossing near the Vandalur railway station.
Location in Context
Accenture, Shriram IT Gateway on GST Road
- Arignar Anna Zoological Park Chennai
- B. S. Abdur Rahman University Chennai
- Kalyan Kometel - Sarovar Hotel, Vandalur
- Gold Souk Grande Mall Chennai
- Mudichur Chennai
- Perungalathur Chennai
- Urapakkam kanchipuram district
- "WELCOME TO CENSUS OF INDIA : Census India Library". www.censusindia.gov.in. Retrieved 2016-04-27.
- News about Vandalur Flyover Inauguration, Times of India
- "Latest Residential Property News - Page-1".
- "Araikasu Amman Temple : Araikasu Amman Temple Details - Araikasu Amman- Ratnamangalam - Tamilnadu Temple - அரைக்காசு அம்மன்".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vandalur.|
- GST Road Traffic Issues The Hindu
- Indian Gaur safari at Vandalur zoo The Hindu
- Roads to the future - 3 key stretches on the city's outskirts Hindu Property Plus
- The orbital beltway - Vandalur to Minjur Outer Ring Road The Hindu
- Monorail Phase I - Vandalur to Velachery/Puzhal The Hindu
- News about Gold Souk Grande Mall, Vandalur India Retailing
- Vandalur Flyover Work Is Nearing Completion
- TN clears second phase of Outer Ring Road project