Vandegrift High School
|Vandegrift High School|
|9500 McNeil Drive
Austin, TX 78750
|Color(s)||Black & Silver|
Vandegrift High School is a High School located in Leander Independent School District in Austin, Texas. Its feeder schools are Canyon Ridge Middle School and Four Points Middle School. The school's first year of operation was at adjacent Four Points Middle School, and then transferred to the Vandegrift Campus at the start of the 2010 school year.
Vandegrift High School offers plenty of extracurricular activities for students to participate in. Students can choose to participate in the following athletics: football, baseball, basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis, track and field, volleyball, and wrestling, as well as many non-athletic art programs such as band, choir, and theater.
The school is named for Marine Corps First Lieutenant Matthew R. Vandegrift, a native of the area, and 1999 graduate of Leander High School. Vandegrift was killed during combat operations in Basra, Iraq in April 2008 supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.
In November 2013, Vandegrift High School achieved its first non-academic state title when the Vandegrift Marching Band achieved first place at the UIL Class 4A State Marching Band Championships. Leander ISD made UIL history with this win, as all three medals went to Leander ISD schools. Cedar Park High School and Vista Ridge High School achieved the silver and bronze medals respectively.
Vandegrift's second state title went to the Girls Varsity Soccer Team on April 19, 2014, when they defeated Wylie East High School 1-0 in the UIL Class 4A girls soccer championship. The win made Vandegrift the first Austin school to win the championship in 32 years. After the win, Vandegrift fans rushed the field and a few were tripped by a Georgetown Police Officer, which sparked controversy and led to the officer being put on paid leave.
The third state title went to Vandegrift boys golf in April 2014 with their victory at the UIL Class 4A tournament.
- Leslee Bassman (29 September 2010). "Vandegrift HS formally dedicated". Hill Country News. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- "News Release: DoD Identifies Marine Casualty". Defense.gov. 12 March 2009. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- Mervin Malone (10 December 2013). "Leander ISD Makes History at State Marching Band Contest". University Interscholastic League. Retrieved 28 December 2014.
- Danny Davis (19 April 2014). "Vandegrift girls win state soccer championship". Statesman. Retrieved 28 December 2014.
- Claire Osborn (21 April 2014). "Police officer on paid leave after tripping students". Statesman. Retrieved 28 December 2014.
- Danny Davis (29 April 2014). "Westlake and Vandegrift win golf titles". Statesman. Retrieved 28 December 2014.
- Danny Davis (13 December 2014). "Vandegrift falls in state semifinals". Statesman. Retrieved 28 December 2014.
|This article about a high school in Texas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|