Vandenberg AFB Space Launch Complex 10
|Launch site||Vandenberg AFB|
|Operator||US Air Force
Royal Air Force
|Min / max
|51° – 145°|
Space Launch Complex 10
|Location||Vandenberg Air Force Base, Lompoc, California|
|Architect||United States Air Force|
|NRHP Reference #||86003511|
|Added to NRHP||June 23, 1986|
|Designated NHL||June 23, 1986|
Space Launch Complex 10, or Missile Launch Complex 10, is located on Vandenberg Air Force Base in Lompoc, California. It was built in 1958 to test ballistic missiles and developed into a space launching facility in 1963. Prior to 1966 Space Launch Complex 10 West was known as Vandenberg AFB Pad 75-2-6. It remains a rare pristine look at the electronics and facilities created in that era that helped the United States grow its space capabilities.
It is undergoing an eight-year restoration, and public visits are possible, if arranged in advance.
SLC-10 was used to train military operators of PGM-17 Thor ballistic missiles, and to conduct missile launch tests. Seven launch attempts were conducted from SLC-10E by British Armed Forces Royal Air Force crews, of which six were successful. (There was also one PGM-17 Thor missile launch by an RAF crew from SLC-10W, which took place 1959-08-14.)
The equipment was returned to Vandenberg to support early launches of the Defense Meteorological Satellite Program, which were conducted at SLC-10W from 1965 to 1980, using the Thor satellite launch vehicles, the first stages of which followed the design of the Thor missile.
- National Park Service (2008-04-15). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Space Launch Complex 10". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. Retrieved 2007-11-18.
- Captain Mark C. Mondl (January 3, 1986). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination: Space Launch Complex 10 / Missile Launch Complex 10" (pdf). National Park Service. and PDF (601 KB)
- DOD NHL details for California
- Ed Kyle (3 July 2009). "Thor Burner - Sixth in a Series Reviewing Thor Family History".
- NPS History of Aviation