Vanessa Claire Stewart
Vanessa Claire Stewart
Vanessa Claire Perkins
|Other names||Vanessa Perkins, Vanessa Claire Smith|
|Alma mater||Webster Conservatory for the Performing Arts|
Oxford School of Drama
|Occupation||Actress, writer, producer|
(m. 1999; div. 2005)
Vanessa Claire Stewart is an American actress, producer, and writer.
Background and education
Born in New Orleans, Louisiana, Vanessa Claire Stewart attended Webster Conservatory for the Performing Arts in St. Louis, Missouri. After graduating, she won a spot as a student at the Oxford School of Drama in England.
She moved to Los Angeles in 1999 where she met and married her first husband, Lance Arthur Smith. They divorced in 2005. In 2009, while performing at the Geffen Playhouse, she met actor French Stewart. They married in 2011 and had a daughter, Helene Claire, in 2013. Once remarried, she took the surname Stewart. Stewart lives in Los Angeles, California.
In 2004, Stewart received an LA Weekly Theatre Award for Best Leading Female Performance, for her gender-bending portrayal of Alex in Los Angeles director Brad Mays' controversial multi-media production of Anthony Burgess's A Clockwork Orange at the ARK Theatre Company in 2003. She also directed the popular Return to the Forbidden Planet while at ARK.
In 2012, Stewart wrote Stoneface for Sacred Fools Theater Company, about the life of Buster Keaton, starring her husband French Stewart. Stoneface won the 2013 LA Weekly award for best production. Stoneface appeared in the 2013–2014 season at Pasadena Playhouse.
In 2015, thanks to theater producer Hershey Felder, Louis and Keely: Live at the Sahara moved to a commercial run in Chicago at the Royal George Theater starring Tony Award winner Anthony Crivello as Louis Prima. The run officially began April 9 and closed eight weeks later on May 17. An additional run at Laguna Playhouse was announced for February 2016.
Awards and nominations
- 2009: Won the award for Lead Actress in a Musical for the role of Keely Smith in "Louis & Keely, Live at the Sahara"
- "French Stewart Baby: Wife Vanessa Gives Birth to Helene Claire - Us Weekly". usmagazine.com. Retrieved 2015-08-21.
- "Somewhere That's Green: Backstage Spaces @ This Stage". lastagetimes.com. Retrieved 2015-08-21.
- LA Weekly Theatre Awards Nominations A Clockwork Orange - nominations for "Best Revival Production," "Best Leading Female Performance," "Best Direction"
- LA Weekly Theatre Awards A Clockwork Orange - Vanessa Claire Smith wins for "Best Leading Female Performance"
- "Clockwork Orange - The Plays: online overview of stage productions of A Clockwork Orange from around the world". malcolmtribute.freeiz.com. Retrieved 2015-08-21.
- "Return to the Forbidden Planet, a CurtainUp Los Angeles review". curtainup.com. Retrieved 2015-08-21.
- "Broadway, Off-Broadway and London Photos, Pictures, Audio, Video and Multimedia". playbill.com. Retrieved 2015-08-21.
- "Vanessa Claire Smith 2010 Ovation Awards - YouTube". youtube.com. Retrieved 2015-08-21.
- Foley, F. Kathleen (2012-05-30). "Review: French Stewart a revelation as Buster Keaton in 'Stoneface' - latimes". articles.latimes.com. Retrieved 2015-08-21.
- "'Stoneface' Wins Big at L.A. Weekly Theater Awards | Backstage". backstage.com. Retrieved 2015-08-21.
- Ng, David (2013-03-22). "Pasadena Playhouse announces 2013-14 season - latimes". articles.latimes.com. Retrieved 2015-08-21.
- "'Louis & Keely' not long for the Royal George". Chicago Tribune. chicagotribune.com. 2015-05-04. Retrieved 2016-10-26.
- "Laguna Playhouse Announces 2015–16 Season". americantheatre.org. 2015-04-29. Retrieved 2016-10-26.
- "Ovation Nominees". 20 October 2009.