CB HonFREng FRGS FRICS FCInstCES CCMI CGeog
|Director-General and Chief Executive, Ordnance Survey|
2000 – April 2014
|Preceded by||David Willey|
|Succeeded by||Neil Ackroyd|
|Born||14 July 1962|
For 14 years, until April 2014, she was Director-General and Chief Executive of Ordnance Survey, Great Britain's national mapping agency. She was the first woman to hold the post and at the time of her departure had held the chief role longer than any predecessor in more than a century.
In January 2008 Lawrence was invested as a Companion of The Most Honourable Order of the Bath (CB) in the New Year Honours List. She has been elected an Honorary Fellow of the Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors and of the Royal Academy of Engineering. She is also a Fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, a Companion of the Chartered Management Institute, a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society, an Honorary Fellow of the Royal Scottish Geographical Society and a Chartered Geographer.
During her career with government she served as the co-founder and inaugural chair of ACE which represented the CEOs of Government Agencies, Trading Funds and Non-Departmental Bodies, was the Chair of the Geographic Information Panel  that produced the Location Strategy of the United Kingdom known as Place Matters: the Location Strategy for the United Kingdom and was a Non-Executive Director of the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister and the Open Geospatial Consortium 
She has been awarded the Royal Scottish Geographical Society, Scottish Geographical Medal for conspicuous merit and world-wide repute, the Institute of Directors South-East Director of the Year Award in 2008  and was made the Geospatial Person of the Decade 2000-2010 
In 2011, the United Nations elected Lawrence to serve as the inaugural Co-Chair of its Committee of Experts on Global Geospatial Information Management (UN-GGIM). She served in this role continuously for four years working with others to develop UN-GGIM to be the lead global authority for governments and the private sector in geographic Information. On leaving UN-GGIM after four years, she was awarded a Certificate of Appreciation by the Under-Secretary-General, Dr Wu Hongbo  The text of the Certificate  read as follows:
"The deep appreciation, respect and gratitude of the United Nations Committee of Experts on Global Geospatial Information Management (UN-GGIM) is presented to Dr. Vanessa V. Lawrance CB. On behalf of all UN Member States, the Committee of Experts appreciates the considerable leadership and dedication of time and effort you have given to promote, shape and guide UN-GGIM since its establishment by the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations (ECOSOC) in 2011. As the inaugural Co-Chair of the Committee of Experts from 2011-2015, your global knowledge and expertise has ensured that significant progress has been made towards achieving the Committee's mandated objectives. Through your leadership the international community has made important progress towards recognising the essential role of geospatial information in global development. With grateful thanks."
In 2015, Lawrence was appointed a Non-Executive Director of the Satellite Applications Catapult Ltd, a global advisor for geospatial information to the World Bank Group, a Director of Location International Ltd  and a Member of the Advisory Group of the Urban Big Data Centre 
She remains the Honorary Colonel, 135 Squadron Royal Engineers, an Adjunct Professor at the University of Southampton, a Visiting Professor at University of Kingston, Honorary Vice-President of the Geographical Association, a Trustee of the Royal Geographical Society  and the Winchester Science Centre  and a Patron of the Cure Parkinson's Trust and MapAction.
- 1 2008 New Year Honours: The London Gazette: (Supplement) no. 58557. pp. 1–26. 29 December 2007.
- "Lawrence to leave Ordnance Survey after 14 years - Civil Service World". www.civilserviceworld.com. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- "Major chief executive to step down". Daily Echo. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- Hipwell, Deirdre (2 April 2014). "Ordnance Survey chief plots surprise departure". Retrieved 30 November 2018 – via www.thetimes.co.uk.
- 2008 New Year Honours: The London Gazette: (Supplement) no. 58557. pp. 1–26. 29 December 2007.
- 6 http://www.managementtoday.co.uk/news/831161/Chartered-Management-Institute-Opinion/?DCMP=ILC-SEARCH
- "Honorary Fellowship (FRSGS) - RSGS". rsgs.org. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- 8 https://www.rgs.org/NR/rdonlyres/5F21828E-806B-4613-AFE8-6FE11CAA4985/0/RegisterofCharteredGeographers_June2014.pdf
- 9 http://www.wired-gov.net/wg/wg-news-1.nsf/54e6de9e0c383719802572b9005141ed/5edca28099d46018802572ab004bd10f?OpenDocument
- "[geo-discuss] [Fwd: UK GI Strategy Workshop 23 June]". Lists.okfn.org. 2006-06-12. Retrieved 2018-11-30.
- "UK Location Strategy: Ordnance Survey: 9 Jan 2008: Hansard Written Answers - TheyWorkForYou". TheyWorkForYou. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- "Place matters: the Location Strategy for the United Kingdom" (PDF). Retrieved 2018-11-30.
- "The OGC Elects Directors". Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- 16 https://books.google.com/books?id=u0tb0W0-rK4C&pg=PA62&lpg=PA62&dq=Vanessa+Lawrence+Longman&source=bl&ots=QioLC7fgu9&sig=wPzey4RhsTLn8aOwpg-TX_CjKFQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjwv4nuhcXNAhXHJsAKHTusBJMQ6AEIRjAK#v=onepage&q=Vanessa%20Lawrence%20Longman&f=false
- 17 https://books.google.com/books?id=SHp_BAAAQBAJ&pg=PT12&lpg=PT12&dq=Vanessa+Lawrence+Longman&source=bl&ots=JqHq8oMoAQ&sig=9MIB8U2Ncyiy2Q9a54OTo7c1LCI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjwv4nuhcXNAhXHJsAKHTusBJMQ6AEIUjAN#v=onepage&q=Vanessa%20Lawrence%20Longman&f=false
- "Scottish Geographical Medal - RSGS". rsgs.org. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- "Ordnance Survey Boss Director of the Year". www.hydro-international.com. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- "Geospatial World forum 2011". geospatialworldforum.org. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- "Two new external members appointed to Council". 5 January 2009. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- [dead link]
- "Dr Vanessa Lawrence, Co-Chair UN-GGIM: Exclusive Interview". 28 October 2014. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- Division, United Nations Statistics. "UNSD — UN-GGIM". ggim.un.org. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- "YouTube". www.youtube.com. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- "Talking GI at UN-GGIM - Ordnance Survey Blog". 24 September 2015. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- [dead link]
- "Vanessa Lawrence honoured for her contribution to UN-GGIM - UNGGIM: Europe". un-ggim-europe.org. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- "Dr Vanessa Lawrence CB - Non-Executive Director - Catapult". Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "LOCATION INTERNATIONAL LTD - Officers (free information from Companies House)". beta.companieshouse.gov.uk. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- "Colonel inspects her squadron". Surrey Comet. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- "Colonel inspects her squadron". This Is Local London. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- [dead link]
- "Professor Vanessa Lawrence - Geography and Environmental Science - University of Southampton". www.southampton.ac.uk. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- "Centre for Engineering, Environment and Society Research - Faculty of Science, Engineering and Computing - Kingston University". sec.kingston.ac.uk. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- GA Introducing The Geographical Association.pdf
- "About Us - Winchester Science Centre & Planetarium". www.winchestersciencecentre.org. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- "Patrons". Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- "Our supporters – MapAction". www.mapaction.org. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
| Director-General of the Ordnance Survey