|Born||Sally Vanessa Ortiz
October 15, 1968 
Indio, California, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Corey Feldman (1989–1993)
Carmine Giovinazzo (2010–2013)
Vanessa Marcil (// mar-SEL; born Sally Vanessa Ortiz; October 15, 1968) is an American actress. She is best known for her roles as Brenda Barrett on General Hospital, Gina Kincaid on Beverly Hills, 90210 and Sam Marquez on Las Vegas.
Marcil, the youngest of four children, was born in Indio, California, the daughter of Patricia Marcil, a herbalist, and Peter Ortiz, a contractor and self-made millionaire. Marcil's father is Mexican and her mother is an American of French, Italian, and Portuguese ancestry.
Marcil acted in a number of theatre productions before landing the role of Brenda Barrett on the soap opera General Hospital in 1992. She garnered three Daytime Emmy Award nominations (1997, 1998 and 2003) for her portrayal, winning in 2003 as Outstanding Supporting Actress. In February 1998, she was named Outstanding Lead Actress at the Soap Opera Digest Awards.
In 1994, she was cast in the Prince music video, "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World", and made People Magazine's 50 Most Beautiful list the next year. She made her feature film debut in the 1996 film The Rock, in which she appeared opposite Nicolas Cage, Sean Connery and Ed Harris.
After six years on General Hospital, she left the show in 1998, to star in the made-for-television movie To Love, Honor and Deceive, and had a recurring guest role on the police drama High Incident produced by Steven Spielberg. Marcil joined the cast of Beverly Hills, 90210 in November 1998 as Gina Kincaid and remained with the show for one-and-a-half seasons. In 1999, she starred in two independent films: Nice Guys Sleep Alone with Sean O'Bryan and This Space Between Us with Jeremy Sisto.
She returned to General Hospital from 2002 to 2003, as Brenda Barrett. In 2001, she was initially cast to join NYPD Blue's ninth season as a new series regular, Det. Carmine Olivera. However, after her first appearance in "Johnny Got His Gold", the show decided to re-do the role and replaced Marcil with Jacqueline Obradors as Det. Rita Ortiz. Marcil did make one more cameo appearance as Det. Olivera in the 11th season episode "Shear Stupidity".
In 2001, Marcil was awarded the Sojourn Service Award and has supported Sojourn Services for Battered Women and their children by hosting charity events and making appearances on Wheel of Fortune, playing for funds for the organization. Through her fundraising efforts, she hopes to increase awareness of domestic violence and inspire battered women to take control of their lives.
Marcil starred in the NBC television series Las Vegas as Samantha Jane "Sam" Marquez. She has been featured in several Men's magazines, including Stuff, FHM, and Maxim. She was named No. 19 on Maxim's Hot 100 of 2005 list and was featured on the cover of the issue that included the list, as well as No. 92 in the 2006 FHM Hot 100 list.
In fall of 2008, Marcil guest starred on Lipstick Jungle, playing Shane's new talent manager. As of November 2008, she hosts and is the head judge of Lifetime's reality television show, Blush: The Search For the Next Great Makeup Artist.
On August 11, 2010, she returned to the role of Brenda Barrett on General Hospital in a full-time contract role. Marcil's return was much publicized due to the popularity of her character and 7-year absence from the show. After her one-year contract was up, she decided not to renew with the show. However, Marcil left the door open for a return in the future.
On March 5, 2013, the announcement was made that Marcil would return to General Hospital for a short visit in honor of the show's 50th anniversary. She made her on-screen return as Brenda on April 2, 2013.
Marcil was married to actor Corey Feldman from 1989 to 1993.
Marcil married actor Carmine Giovinazzo on July 11, 2010 in a private ceremony in New York City. In June 2011 the couple announced they were expecting their first child together, however, Marcil suffered a miscarriage, her second that year. Marcil filed for divorce in August 2012 on the basis of irreconcilable differences. The divorce was final in March 2013.
Marcil announced her engagement on social media on April 23, 2015, wearing Audrey Hepburn's gold band.
|1996||Rock, TheThe Rock||Carla Pestalozzi|
|1999||Nice Guys Sleep Alone||Erin|
|2000||This Space Between Us||Maggie Harty|
|2002||Storm Watch||Tess Woodward||Alternative titles: Virtual Storm
|2010||Bannen Way, TheThe Bannen Way||Madison||Webseries|
||General Hospital||Brenda Barrett||Main role from: September 18, 1992 – September 11, 1998
Main role from: September 4, 2002 – February 19, 2003
Main role from: August 11, 2010 – July 21, 2011
Guest role from: April 2, 2013 – April 23, 2013
|1996||To Love, Honor and Deceive||Sydney Carpenter||TV movie, aka The Protected Wife|
|1997||High Incident||Kerry Andrews||"Hot Wire" and "Remote Control"|
|1998–2000||Beverly Hills, 90210||Gina Kincaid||37 episodes|
|2001||Spin City||Crazy Kara||"A Shot in the Dark: Part 2"|
|NYPD Blue||Detective Carmen Olivera||"Johnny Got His Gold"
|2003–2008||Las Vegas||Sam Marquez||106 episodes|
|Crossing Jordan||Sam Marquez||"What Happens in Vegas Dies in Boston"
"Luck Be a Lady"
|2008||Lipstick Jungle||Josie Scotto||3 episodes|
|2009||Nanny Express, TheThe Nanny Express||Kate Hewitt||Hallmark channel movie|
|2009||Without a Trace||Kim Marcus||3 episodes|
|2009||One Hot Summer||Margarita Silva Santos||Television movie|
|2012||Hawaii Five-0||Dr. Olivia Victor||TV series|
|2014||Stranded in Paradise||Tess Nelson||Hallmark channel movie|
Awards and nominations
|Year||Award||Result||Category||Title of work|
|1994||Soap Opera Digest Awards||Nominated||Outstanding Female Newcomer||General Hospital|
|1995||Soap Opera Digest Awards||Nominated||Hottest Soap Couple (shared with Maurice Benard)||General Hospital|
|1997||Daytime Emmy Award||Nominated||Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series||General Hospital|
|1997||Soap Opera Digest Awards||Won||Hottest Female Star||General Hospital|
|1998||Daytime Emmy Award||Nominated||Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series||General Hospital|
|1998||Soap Opera Digest Awards||Won||Outstanding Lead Actress||General Hospital|
|2003||Daytime Emmy Award||Won||Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series||General Hospital|
|2003||Soap Opera Digest Awards||Won||Favorite Return||General Hospital|
- According to the State of California. California Birth Index, 1905–1995. Center for Health Statistics, California Department of Health Services, Sacramento, California. At Ancestry.com
- "Actress Vanessa Marcil Weds CSI NY Star!". Us Weekly.
- "Vanessa Marcil – Profile, Latest News and Related Articles". E!. Retrieved May 24, 2011.
- "Vanessa Marcil Biography".
- "Vanessa Marcil – Most Beautiful, Vanessa Marcil". People. May 8, 1995. Retrieved August 30, 2010.
- "MAXIM MAGAZINE Unveils Their Hot 100 for 2005; Eva Longoria Crowned No. 1 This Year". Business Wire. May 10, 2005.
- Kroll, Dan J. "GH News: Marcil to rejoin GH in August , General Hospital @". Soapcentral.com. Retrieved August 30, 2010.
- "Who is Vanessa Marcil dating? Vanessa Marcil Boyfriend, Husband". Who's Dated Who?. Retrieved June 5, 2015.
- "Who is Tyler Christopher dating? Tyler Christopher Girlfriend, Wife". Who's Dated Who?. Retrieved June 5, 2015.
- "Vanessa Marcil: Kassius Is 'His Own Little Man Now'". People. August 2, 2010. Retrieved October 22, 2012.
... for 8-year-old Kassius Lijah.
- Porter, Rick (July 13, 2010). "Vanessa Marcil, CSI: NY star Carmine Giovinazzo get married". Zap2it. Retrieved July 17, 2010.
- Kroll, Dan J. (June 23, 2011). "Vanessa Marcil announces she's pregnant". SoapCentral. Retrieved July 3, 2011.
- Perry, Shayla (December 8, 2011). "Vanessa Marcil-Giovinazzo Suffers Miscarriage". CelebrityBabyScoop. Retrieved December 9, 2011.
- "Ex-'90210' Star Vanessa Marcil Files for Divorce". TMZ. Retrieved August 22, 2012.
- "FORMER '90210' STAR Divorce Final from Nicest DUI Arrestee Ever". TMZ. Retrieved March 18, 2013.
- "Instagram". Instagram. Retrieved June 5, 2015.