This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2018)
|Born||July 9, 1984|
|Alma mater||Yale University (BA, JD)|
|World Series of Poker|
Main Event finish
|World Poker Tour|
|European Poker Tour|
Vanessa K. Selbst (born July 9, 1984) is a poker player, the only woman to ever reach the number one ranking in the world on the Global Poker Index. She has over US$11.8 million in live poker tournament earnings and used to be a member of Team Pokerstars Pro, where she plays under the username "V. Selbst".
Selbst has three World Series of Poker bracelets and is the first and only woman to win three WSOP bracelets in open field events. She is also the only poker player to win the same North American Poker Tour Main Event back-to-back. In January 2013 Selbst won the PCA high roller for $1.4 million, which made her the highest-earning woman in poker history. Her results put her in the top 100 of the overall All Time Money List, with career tournament winnings just shy of $12 million.
Selbst was born in Brooklyn, New York, into a Jewish family. She attended the Massachusetts Institute of Technology for a year before transferring to Yale University, where she graduated with a degree in political science. After Yale, on a Fulbright scholarship, she spent a year in Spain. On her return to the United States, she worked for consulting firm McKinsey & Company. She later returned to Yale Law School and received her J.D. degree in 2012. During her time at Yale University, she was head of the Yale Queer-Straight Alliance. Selbst was a coach and executive producer for DeucesCracked, an online poker training site.
World Series of Poker bracelets
|2008||$1,500 Pot-Limit Omaha||$227,933|
|2012||$2,500 10-Game Six Handed||$244,259|
|2014||$25,000 Mixed-Max No-Limit Hold'em||$871,148|
Other poker results
Selbst has 21 live poker tournament results equaling six figure paydays or above.
Selbst has made five Main Event final tables of various poker tours and gone on to capture three titles. She attended her first World Series at Las Vegas in 2006. She won the 2010 North American Poker Tour $5,000 Mohegan Sun Main Event, earning $750,000 and returned the following year to successfully defend her title. She earned $450,000 for her 2011 1st-place finish and became the first and only person to win two consecutive NAPT Main Events. To date, Selbst's biggest purse was when she won €1,300,000 ($1.82 million) for her first-place finish at the 2010 Partouche Poker Tour.
She has made four High Roller final tables, winning the PokerStars Caribbean Adventure High Roller in January 2013. She is the first woman to ever play in a Super High Roller event, taking third place at the PokerStars Caribbean Adventure $100,000 buy in tournament in January 2014.
As of 2018, Selbst's total live tournament winnings exceed $11,850,000.
One year after her official retirement from poker in 2018, she played the WPT Borgata $3,500 event, ending in 14th place for a payday of $40,000. Not long after, she participated in WPT Fallsview Main Event, where she finished 22nd.
- ^ "Vanessa Selbst's profile on GPI". GlobalPokerIndex.com. Retrieved May 31, 2014.
- ^ a b Grant, Nico. "Player Joins the World's Biggest Hedge Fund". Bloomberg News. Retrieved January 10, 2018.
- ^ "Vanessa Selbst Wins Third World Series of Poker Gold Bracelet In $25,000 Mixed-Max No-Limit Hold'Em". CardPlayer.com. May 30, 2014. Retrieved May 31, 2014.
- ^ a b  Live Reporting | 2010 PokerStars.net NAPT Mohegan Sun | 2010 PokerStars.net NAPT Mohegan Sun Main Event | PokerNews
- ^ a b  Live Reporting | 2011 North American Poker Tour Mohegan Sun | Main Event | PokerNews
- ^ "2013 PCA: Vanessa Selbst becomes top-earning female tournament player - PokerStarsBlog.com". www.pokerstarsblog.com. Retrieved August 9, 2017.
- ^ Peckaitis, Tadas (March 7, 2021). "What Ever Happened To Vanessa Selbst?". Casino.org. Casino.org. Retrieved March 7, 2021.
- ^ a b "Vanessa Selbst Wins $1 Million Prize At Super High Roller Celebrity Shootout". Jewish Business News. May 20, 2016.
- ^ Habib, Daniel G. (May 30, 2005). "Online And Obsessed". SI.com. sportsillustrated.cnn.com. Retrieved June 12, 2012.
- ^ "Vanessa Selbst biography". epicpoker.com. Retrieved June 12, 2012.
- ^ DALLA, NOLAN. "Event #19: Pot-Limit Omaha championship - Vanessa Selbst from Brooklyn, NY Wins!". games.aol.com. Archived from the original on June 24, 2008. Retrieved June 16, 2008.
- ^ "Vanessa Selbst Performs Ultimate Double-Range Merge". PokerStarsBlog. September 12, 2013. Archived from the original on December 30, 2013. Retrieved June 1, 2014.
- ^ "Vanessa Selbst results". pokerdb.thehendonmob.com. Retrieved May 31, 2014.
- ^ "Vanessa Selbst's Tournament History". OnlinePokerAmerica.com. Retrieved August 8, 2015.
- ^ "♣ Poker en Ligne Gratuit - La Communauté Poker France - Poker Internet". thats-poker.fr. Retrieved August 9, 2017.
- ^ BankrollMob.com. "2014 PCA Super High Roller: The Final Table is Set!". Retrieved August 9, 2017.
- ^ "Vanessa Selbst's profile on The Hendon Mob". The Hendon Mob Poker Database. Retrieved August 9, 2017.
- ^ "Vanessa Selbst – Best Female Poker Player of All Time". CasinoReviews.Net. Retrieved September 5, 2022.