Vanessa Van Edwards
Vanessa Van Edwards
|Born||May 17, 1985|
|Science of People, Captivate: The Science of Succeeding with People|
Vanessa Van Edwards is a behavioral investigator with Science of People and national best-selling author of Captivate: The Science of Succeeding with People (2017). She is also a corporate speaker and body language trainer specializing in science-based people skills. She runs Science of People, a human behavior research lab in Portland, Oregon where she studies charisma, influence and power body language.
Van Edwards, maiden name Van Petten, was born and raised in Los Angeles, California and attended Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia. She currently lives in Portland, Oregon with her husband and daughter.
Van Edwards writes monthly columns for Entrepreneur Magazine and The Huffington Post. She is also a monthly guest on morning news show, AM Northwest. She has written for CNN, TIME, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Van Edwards teaches online courses about body language, facial expression, nonverbal communication and lie detection, all grounded in scientific research. She gave her first TEDx Talk in London in 2017 and appeared on CBS This Morning with Charlie Rose.
Van Edwards is the author of the books Human Lie Detection and Body Language 101, Captivate: The Science of Succeeding with People, and Do I Get My Allowance Before or After I'm Grounded with Plume  under her maiden name, Vanessa Van Petten.
- "About Vanessa Van Edwards". Science of People. Retrieved 9 July 2019.
- "Vanessa Van Edwards The Science of Innovation". Inc. Retrieved 9 July 2019.
- "Captive Hits iBooks Best-seller List". scienceofpeople.com. 25 December 2016. Retrieved 17 December 2018.
- Van Edwards, Vanessa. Captivate: The Science of Succeeding with People. Penguin Random House. ISBN 0399564489.
- "Body Language for Introverts". KATU.com.
- "Vanessa Van Edwards".
- Marx Wheatley, Michaela. (2012-10-20). “Nationally-Renown Speaker to get Radical on Whidbey Parents.” South Whidbey Record. Retrieved 2014-10-03.
- YEC Women (2013-09-24). "10 Ways Body Language Can Help You Be More Powerful". Forbes.
- "Learning Marketplace Sites Compete To Become School Of Everything". (2013-11-06). Pickar, Julia. OPB. Retrieved 2014-10-3.
- Online Teaching’s the New Blogging O’Connell, A.J. (2014-08-31). The Next Web. Retrieved 2014-10-03
- Radical Parenting: Youthologist Teaches CT Teens and Parents to Communicate. Mindell, Cindy (2010-10-01). Jewish Ledger. Retrieved 2014.10.03
- "From Portland, self-taught expert teaches 60,000 around the globe". oregonlive.com.
- "The First Weeks of Parenting: What Nobody Tells You - Episode #104 with Vanessa Van Edwards". startuppregnant.com. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- "5 Mind-Blowing Myths About Pregnancy". youtube.com. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- Zissu, Alexandra (22 September 2016). "How to Win on 'Shark Tank'". entrepreneur.com.
- "How Deciphering the Science of Body Language Can Help Build Your Business". American Express. Retrieved 2 July 2019.
- Edwards, Vanessa Van. "Vanessa Van Edwards". Entrepreneur.
- "Vanessa Van Edwards - HuffPost". www.huffingtonpost.com.
- "How to Increase Your Influence". KATU.com.
- Edwards, Vanessa Van. "Trump's hands speak and this is what they say". cnn.com.
- "7 Body Language Tips Everybody Should Know". Time.
- YEC Women (2012-10-09). "Want To Cope With "Annoying" Colleagues? Speak Their Language". Forbes.
- "How Chobani Squeezed New Flavor Into A Crowded Market". Fast Company.
- "From Portland, self-taught expert teaches 60,000 around the globe". oregonlive.com. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- "How Teaching Online Courses Helped One Entrepreneur Put a Down Payment on a House". businessinsider.com. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- "To command an audience, speak with your hands". ft.com. Retrieved 2 July 2019.
- TEDx Talks (27 June 2017). "You are contagious - Vanessa Van Edwards - TEDxLondon" – via YouTube.
- "How to be the most memorable person in the room". cbsnews.com.
- "How to Give a Speech Like a TED Talk Pro". inc.com. 23 March 2015.
- "Your hand gestures can help make you more charismatic". BBC. Retrieved 2 July 2019.
- "Digital Body Language - SXSW 2015 Event Schedule". SXSW Schedule 2015.
- Van Edwards, Vanessa. Human Lie Detection and Body Language 101: Your Guide to Reading People's Nonverbal Behavior. N.p.: Create Space, 2013.
- "These 4 simple conversation hacks will make you more memorable and likable". CNBC. Retrieved 2 July 2019.
- Van Edwards, Vanessa. Captivate: The Science of Succeeding with People. New York, 2017.
- Van Petten, Vanessa. Do I Get My Allowance before or after I'm Grounded?: Stop Fighting, Start Talking, and Get to Know Your Teen. New York: Plume, 2011.