Vanishing Point (video game)
North American Dreamcast cover art
Vanishing Point is a console based racing game released on the Dreamcast and the PlayStation. It was developed by Clockwork Games and published by Acclaim.The name "Vanishing Point" refers to the fact that the game lacks Pop-up.
The game is provided with supposedly accurate car physics, which can be experienced through various game modes, tracks and cars. The majority of content is initially locked and is progressively unlocked as you play through the game. Stunt Mode is unique in that the player must complete short courses that involve a variety of jumps, barrel rolls, chicanes and collectable balloons against a time limit.
The game contains 5 different modes:
- Tournament (race against rivals in increasingly difficulty Heats of multiple races; available only to standard cars)
- Heat 1 (2 tracks, 2 laps, easy difficulty)
- Heat 2 (3 tracks, 2 laps, medium difficulty)
- Heat 3 (3 tracks, 3 laps, hard difficulty)
- Single Race (race against rivals in a single race; standard, reverse or mirror tracks; available to all cars)
- Time Trial (race against the clock; available to all cars)
- Stunt Driver (test your driving skills against the clock; specific cars)
- CWG Rally (race against the clock in multi-stage time trials; available to all cars)
- Red Rock Canyon
- Newtown Expressway
- Midnight Highway
- Harbour View
- Olympic Village
- South Riviera
- Alpine Pass
- Forest Fields
- 2 Player Track 1
- 2 Player Track 2
- 2 Player Track 3
- 2 Player Track 4
- Test Track
|Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0||Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0|
|Aston Martin DB7||Aston Martin V8|
|Aston Martin V8||Audi TT Cabriolet|
|Audi TT||Austin Mini|
|BMW 325i||Dodge Viper RT/10|
|Dodge Viper GTS||Ford Mustang Cobra R|
|Ford Explorer||Ford Taurus|
|Ford Focus||Ford Thunderbird|
|Ford Mustang Cobra||Ford Windstar|
|Ford Ranger||Lincoln Town Car|
|Jaguar XKR||Lotus Elise 111S|
|Lotus Elise||Mercury Sable Wagon|
|Lotus Esprit||TVR Cerbera|
|Shelby Cobra||Volkswagen Beetle|
|TVR Griffith||Volkswagen Golf|
|Toyota Supra||Volkswagen Microbus|
Stunt Driver Mode
This mode is similar to Crazy Taxi's Mini-Games and Gran Turismo's License Tests. The Events in this mode can be fun, but they get increasingly difficult as you go on.
|Event||Vehicle (Dreamcast)||Vehicle (Playstation)|
|The Long Jump||Lotus Esprit||TVR Cerbera|
|Twist & Turns 1||Audi TT||BMW 325i|
|Single Criss Cross||Ford Mustang Cobra||Ford Ranger|
|Hump Back Relay||BMW 325i||Ford Mustang Cobra|
|Twist & Turns 2||Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0||Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0|
|Table Top Balloons||Toyota Supra||Aston Martin DB7|
|The Barrel Roll||Ford Focus||Shelby Cobra|
|Twist & Turns 3||Dodge Viper GTS||Dodge Viper GTS|
|Balloon Stalom||Lotus Elise 111S||Ford Focus|
|Double Criss Cross||TVR Cerbera||Lotus Elise|
|Bumps 'n' Balloons||Aston Martin V8||Aston Martin V8|
|Twist & Turns 4||Lotus Elise||Toyota Supra|
|Barrel Roll Relay (Hump Back Relay 2 in Playstation version)||Shelby Cobra||Aston Martin DB7|
|The Balloon Bowl||Ford Explorer||Ford Thunderbird|
|Triple Criss Cross||Shelby Cobra||Shelby Cobra|
Vanishing Point received mixed to positive reviews. Aggregating review websites GameRankings and Metacritic gave the Dreamcast version 80.43% based on 22 reviews and 80/100 based on 16 reviews and the Playstation version 66.15% based on 20 reviews and 68/100 based on 11 reviews. IGN gave the Dreamcast version an 8.6/10, while GameSpot gave it an 8.1/10. They also gave the PlayStation version a 7.4/10.
- Mielke, James (2000-01-19). "Vanishing Point Preview - GameSpot". GameSpot. Archived from the original on 2014-10-29. Retrieved 2014-10-29.
- "Vanishing Point for Dreamcast - GameRankings". GameRankings. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- "Vanishing Point for PlayStation - GameRankings". GameRankings. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- "Vanishing Point for Dreamcast Reviews - Metacritic". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- "Vanishing Point for Playstation Reviews - Metacritic". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- Provo, Frank (2001-01-04). "Vanishing Point Review - GameSpot". GameSpot. Archived from the original on 2014-11-02. Retrieved 2014-10-11.
- Provo, Frank (2001-02-23). "Vanishing Point Review - GameSpot". GameSpot. Archived from the original on 2014-11-02. Retrieved 2014-10-11.
- IGN Staff (2000-12-20). "Vanishing Point - IGN". IGN. Archived from the original on 2014-10-16. Retrieved 2014-10-11.
- Perry, Doug (2001-03-05). "Vanishing Point - IGN". IGN. Archived from the original on 2014-11-02. Retrieved 2014-11-02.