This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Nickname(s): Leather city|
|• Body||Vaniyambadi Municipality|
|• Total||9.54 km2 (3.68 sq mi)|
|Elevation||363 m (1,191 ft)|
|• Density||10,000/km2 (26,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
According to 2011 census, Vaniyambadi had a population of 95,061 with a sex-ratio of 1,023 females for every 1,000 males, much above the national average of 929. A total of 12,013 were under the age of six, constituting 6,121 males and 5,892 females. Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes accounted for 15.15% and .09% of the population respectively. The average literacy of the town was 74.37%, compared to the national average of 72.99%. The town had a total of 20559 households. There were a total of 31,013 workers, comprising 94 cultivators, 218 main agricultural labourers, 800 in house hold industries, 26,529 other workers, 3,372 marginal workers, 11 marginal cultivators, 100 marginal agricultural labourers, 202 marginal workers in household industries and 3,059 other marginal workers. As per the religious census of 2011, Vaniyambadi had 41.75% Hindus, 55.74% Muslims, 1.99% Christians, 0.02% Sikhs, 0.01% Buddhists, 0.2% Jains, 0.29% following other religions and 0.01% following no religion or did not indicate any religious preference.
Vaniyambadi is well connected by road and the town is located on the Bangalore-Chennai highway which is part of the Golden Quadrilateral. A state highway connects the town to Tirupattur (SH-18), Gudiyattam (SH-130) and Polur (SH-215). The town has a railway station and the nearest airport is Bangalore International Airport.
Places of interest
Yelagiri is about 25 km from the town. Javadi Hills is another small hill station nearby. Asia's second largest telescope, Vainu Bappu Observatory of the Indian Institute of Astrophysics is situated at Kavalur near Vaniyambadi. Several centuries-old temples like Sundara Varadaraja (Azhagu) Perumal and Athitheeswarar are prominent places of worship in the town.
- "Vaniyambadi population". GOi.
- "Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Vaniyambadi".
- "About Vaniyambadi". Vaniyambadi Municipality. 2011. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- "Census Info 2011 Final population totals". Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Census Info 2011 Final population totals - Vaniyambadi". Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Population By Religious Community - Tamil Nadu" (XLS). Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2011. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- "Vaniyambadi transport". Vaniyambadi Municipality. 2011. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vaniyambadi.|