Varden Conservation Area
|Varden Conservation Area|
|Pennsylvania State Park|
|Natural Monument (IUCN III)|
Varden Conservation Area
|Named for: the village of Varden|
|Townships||Lake, South Canaan|
|- elevation||1,253 ft (382 m) |
|Area||430 acres (174 ha) |
|Managed by||Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources|
|Website : Varden Conservation Area|
Varden Conservation Area is a Pennsylvania state park on 343 acres (139 ha) in Lake and South Canaan Townships, Wayne County, Pennsylvania in the United States. The conservation area is currently under development. The land was donated to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in December 2001 by Dr. Mead Shaffer a veterinarian and resident of Boothwyn, Pennsylvania in Delaware County. Dr. Shaffer stated his reason for donating the land, "Environmental education always has been a primary concern of mine. I trust this land will allow present and future generations to observe and study the diverse ecology found in the Varden Conservation Area." Varden Conservation Area is near the unincorporated village of Varden on Pennsylvania Route 296, east of the Lackawanna County line.
A conservation area is different from a typical state park. Conservation areas have much less development on the lands than a state park. They are large tracts of land with few improvements, a lack of through roads and the recreational facilities are minimal. There is an effort to manage the resources with minimal development of the park. Other conservation areas in Pennsylvania are the Joseph E. Ibberson Conservation Area and the Boyd Big Tree Preserve Conservation Area both of which are in Dauphin County.
Nearby state parks
- Archbald Pothole State Park (Lackawanna County)
- Frances Slocum State Park (Luzerne County)
- Gouldsboro State Park (Monroe and Wayne Counties)
- Lackawanna State Park (Lackawanna County)
- Promised Land State Park (Pike County)
- Prompton State Park (Wayne County)
- Tobyhanna State Park (Monroe and Wayne Counties)
- "Varden Conservation Area". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. August 30, 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-13.
- "Varden Conservation Area announcement". Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. Retrieved 2006-11-25.
- "Varden Conservation Area". Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. Retrieved 2006-10-25.
- "Find a Park by Region (interactive map)". Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. Retrieved November 18, 2011.
- 2007 General Highway Map Wayne County Pennsylvania (PDF) (Map). 1:65,000. Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, Bureau of Planning and Research, Geographic Information Division. Retrieved 2007-07-27. Note: shows Varden Conservation Area
- Michels, Chris (1997). "Latitude/Longitude Distance Calculation". Northern Arizona University. Retrieved 2008-04-23.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Varden Conservation Area.|
- Unofficial Varden Conservation Area website
- PDF (268.2 KB)