Variable dwarf kingfisher
The variable dwarf kingfisher (Ceyx lepidus or Alcedo lepidus) formerly included 15 subspecies. A molecular phylogenetic study published in 2013 found that most of the insular subspecies had substantially diverged from one another. The variable dwarf kingfisher was therefore split and 12 of the subspecies were promoted to species status. At the same time the name of the variable dwarf kingfisher was changed to the Moluccan dwarf kingfisher.
The species in the group are:
- Moluccan dwarf kingfisher, Ceyx lepidus
- Dimorphic dwarf kingfisher, Ceyx margarethae
- Sula dwarf kingfisher, Ceyx wallacii
- Buru dwarf kingfisher, Ceyx cajeli
- Papuan dwarf kingfisher, Ceyx solitarius
- Manus dwarf kingfisher, Ceyx dispar
- New Ireland dwarf kingfisher, Ceyx mulcatus
- New Britain dwarf kingfisher, Ceyx sacerdotis
- North Solomons dwarf kingfisher, Ceyx meeki
- New Georgia dwarf kingfisher, Ceyx collectoris
- Malaita dwarf kingfisher, Ceyx malaitae
- Guadalcanal dwarf kingfisher, Ceyx nigromaxilla
- Makira dwarf kingfisher, Ceyx gentianus
- Fry, C. Hilary; Fry, Kathie; Harris, Alan (1992). "Variable Dwarf Kingfisher". Kingfishers, Bee-eaters, and Rollers. London: Christopher Helm. pp. 202–204. ISBN 978-0-7136-8028-7.
- Andersen, M.J.; Oliveros, C.H.; Filardi, C.E.; Moyle, R.G. (2013). "Phylogeography of the Variable Dwarf-Kingfisher Ceyx lepidus (Aves: Alcedinidae) inferred from mitochondrial and nuclear DNA sequences". Auk. 130 (1): 118–131. doi:10.1525/auk.2012.12102.
- Gill, Frank; Donsker, David, eds. (2017). "Rollers, ground rollers & kingfishers". World Bird List Version 7.2. International Ornithologists' Union. Retrieved 17 May 2017.
|This page is an index of articles on animal species (or higher taxonomic groups) with the same common name (vernacular name). If an internal link led you here, you may wish to edit the linking article so that it links directly to the intended article.|